Long Beach Dining

ugagal07

The Hyatt Regency is right in downtown Long Beach--close to the port, but not at it. Close to the port, Hotel Maya and the Reef Restaurant gets good reviews.

Downtown, we usually eat at Cafe Sevilla, L'Opera, King's Fishhouse (all on Pine Ave north of the Hotel), or PF Changs at The Pike Restaurants (south of the Hotel.)

Hi there,

Suggestions by PatriciaF are quite good.

Let me ask a quick question, how formal or informal do you want to be?

Oh bye the way many of our restaurants here are quite informal, but some like to see at least an Hawaiian shirt & khaki's.

Enjoy your visit & your cruise,

Winnie

My absolute favorite in the area for lunch or dinner is Georges Greek Cafe on Pine Ave.

here's a link to my walking photo tour of many of the places to eat around the Downtown/PineAve/Rainbow Harbor area.

You'll have many choices, so it really depends on the type of food you are in the mood for.

(to me, everything along Pine Ave, Shoreline Village and the Pine Ave pier is near the port since I consider it all walkable ... YMMV)

Nothing formal, laid back dining is for us. We're in our mid 20's so a nice drink menu is always a plus. Maybe suggestions on a bar or anything that has a good late night scene, music etc. I know there are TONS of options and all of them have lovely websites, but someone who has actually eaten there is much more reliable than websites... :) Walking or the Long Beach Transit are both fine, just a place to relax after a long flight and crazy airport people!

Hi there,

We've got great restaurants here. Gladstones was rated number 1( in our local Press-Telegram paper) for seafood several weeks ago. Sorry I haven't had dinner there. It is in the location you have selected.

My thoughts as to local places we've eaten at recently: Claimjumper's (the original was nearby in Los Alamitos). Unfortunately its located at 2nd & PCH(in the Alamitos Bay area) and would require a Passport bus and a fare of $1.25 per way. Good happy hour in the bar 4p-7p. Good bar & menu. I'm recommending it because you don't have one in Georgia.

We also like Jimmy's Fish & Grill . Also at 2nd & PcH in the Marketplace shopping center, another local restaurant. We were last there for Valentines Day.

I also like the Belmont Brewing Co on the patio for lunch. Unfortunately this would also require a bus ride to Belmont Shore which has great people watching.

Oh bye the way, I agree with the other suggestions posted.

All of the restaurants I have suggested have websites.

Enjoy your visit and your cruise, I know you will have fun.

To be honest, I was quite surprised that Gladstone's was rated #1 in Long Beach--perhaps I have just been there on bad days, but twice was enough for us. Walt's Wharf in Seal Beach is our favorite, followed by Jimmy's and King Fish House.

For people in the 20s I will recommend where my kids (mid-20s to early 30s) hang out/eat in downtown Long Beach.

The Auld Dubliner (www.aulddubliner.com)

The Yardhouse as previously mentioned--I believe the Long Beach location is the original. They no longer serve the yard of beer--or at least not in California

(http://www.yardhouse.com/CA/Long_Beach/)

Sgt. Peppers Dueling Piano Cafe (http://www.pepperspianos.com/) bar scene and entertainment

George's Greek Cafe as previously mentioned

well Yard house delivers good beer, and ok food ... If you sit outside under the umbrellas it makes for a nice setting, the tables overlook a few boat slips. But it's not a place to hang out, it draws a bit of an older crowd really.

Tequila Jacks has an excellent tequila menu, but I find the food so-so. Happy hour is 3-6pm (M-F) :D

Dubliner is a good bar late into the night, but I've never had anything other than pints there.

Cheap eats and cold beer, Taco Beach.

If you like Blues ... check out Blue Cafe

What you might really like though is Mai Tai Bar.

Archived