Bad news out of Madeira

ltsally

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/europe/8526679.stm

Don't know if this is an 'allowed' sort of post, but as so many trans Atlantic sailors have made the visit here (and maybe it's been on other SB itinerarys,as well) - and it's scheduled as a port for next month's crossings - I just thought I'd share. So far, 38 people have perished. We were just there in November, enjoyed a wicker sled ride down one of the hills above Funchai - makes it all so much more real.

After reading the many posts on Trip Advisor (several from a gal that lives in Funchal) I am heartsick as to the devastation caused by the flooding and mudslides. Forty have lost their lives with many suffering from injuries. The seawall promanade looked deserted in a picture I managed to view on a web cam earlier today.

As the small Island is a popular tourists destination I'm hoping tourists won't cancel their vacations. Madeira will certainly need the tourists dollars now, more than ever.

We are scheduled to call on Madeira/Funchal in March ~~I so hope we aren't re-routed to the Azores.

Martita B.

After reading the many posts on Trip Advisor (several from a gal that lives in Funchal) I am heartsick as to the devastation caused by the flooding and mudslides. Forty have lost their lives with many suffering from injuries. The seawall promanade looked deserted in a picture I managed to view on a web cam earlier today.

As the small Island is a popular tourists destination I'm hoping tourists won't cancel their vacations. Madeira will certainly need the tourists dollars now, more than ever.

We are scheduled to call on Madeira/Funchal in March ~~I so hope we aren't re-routed to the Azores.

Martita B.

We all hope that everything will be ok in Funchal around March. But i don´t see a problem with going to Azores. A little strange that Seabourn doesn´t call the Azores anymore...

Having visited Ponta Delgada several times I do hope to go again sometime but having already made arrangements to see good friends on our call to Funchal in March I'll be disappointed not seeing/being with them.

A few years ago I accompanied our Chef to the large super market in Ponta Delgado ~~what a delightful day we had!

Cheers!

Martita B.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived