Viking Helvetia Amsterdam to Basel

karrie

Hi, We are thinking about this cruise for 2011. There are many more available dates for this ship than the Sun. Somewhere I read the Helvetia caters more to a German market. Can anyone who has done this cruise comment? My concern is the language barrier if most passengers are German speaking. I know we will be in Europe in several different countries with many languages spoken! Thanks.

Karrie

We took the Helvetia 2 years ago. Have you considered another cruise line? We found many things such as the food to be very lacking. If it were me again I would look carefullly at Uniworld, AMA and others.

I know you will enjoy the trip as the scenery is lovey...

• 6 months later...

Hi Karrie---we'll be on Helvetia Dec 4-11, 2011 from Basel to Amsterdam. Our 4th trip with Viking River Cruises (Beijing/Xian/Yangtze, Tulips and Windmills, Elegant Elbe the Schumann was sitting on the bottom in Dresden--low water--the entire week so we had to be bussed to excursion sites and missed 3 completely--got a 40% discount voucher for a future sailing). Good tours with most guides excellent, love the audiovox headsets--good range and clear reception--, food has been OK but not great, some cruise directors are wonderful and others need better people skills, good service onboard, some rooms are pretty tiny but if you know that going in you won't be surprised, sometimes difficult to find the ships for embarkation (Amsterdam where they don't know where they'll tie up until they arrive in the city) and cabbies/tourist info services might not know either so be prepared. Enjoy and let me know if you'll be joining us. Cheers, John and Janie

Archived