Fly/Cruise - Barcelona - what to do for 4 hours?!

Blue.Pixie

Hey,

I am going on Voyager of the Seas in June, on the Western Med. cruise.

We fly in to Barcelona on the Sunday morning around 10.30am.

I have been told that there is a meet and greet (and we get taken straight to the port by coach)

My question is

Is it possible for us to actually go in to Barcelona itself? Do we have time to just go and walk up Las Rablas?

My mother has been whittering about pick pockets with our Carry-On luggage and missing the ship departing.

Thanks for any help!

It's quite a walk over a bridge from the dock to the town but it is doable. There may very well be local buses you can use or taxis, the ones the crew use. I would check your luggage in and head into town. Las Ramblas is wonderful, as is the surrounding area. Depending on when you need to check in you could even grab a cab and go visit Parc Guell or the Cathedral.

Your mother is right to be wary of pickpockets as Barcelona is notorious as the pickpocket capital of Europe. Keep your bags close to you and be wary in the market of being approached.

Alternatively you could check yourselves in. Grab some lunch. Cabins should be accessible from 1pm. Leave your bags in your rooms and head off out.

Edit : We've waited for port buses before...... you may want to consider cabbing it to the port yourselves as the bus may wait for others from different flights....

Hey,

I am going on Voyager of the Seas in June, on the Western Med. cruise.

We fly in to Barcelona on the Sunday morning around 10.30am.

I have been told that there is a meet and greet (and we get taken straight to the port by coach)

My question is

Is it possible for us to actually go in to Barcelona itself? Do we have time to just go and walk up Las Rablas?

My mother has been whittering about pick pockets with our Carry-On luggage and missing the ship departing.

Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't wait for the RCI bus to fill up - you could be there sometime - I'd tell the rep you are going alone - take a cab to the port €30, dump your luggage, as checkin will be open by then. Then at the port you will see a blue bus- catch this for €3 back over the big bridge and it will drop you off at the statue of Columbus which is at the end of Las Ramblas. Repeat in reverse to get back to the ship.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html

Thank you for quick feed back :D

I wouldn't wait for the RCI bus to fill up - you could be there sometime - I'd tell the rep you are going alone - take a cab to the port €30, dump your luggage, as checkin will be open by then. Then at the port you will see a blue bus- catch this for €3 back over the big bridge and it will drop you off at the statue of Columbus which is at the end of Las Ramblas. Repeat in reverse to get back to the ship.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html

Its a charter flight, so do you think there will still be a wait for the coach?

I was also told, that due to it being a charter flight, out check-in luggage (from the hold) would go straight to the ship?

I've been to barcelona before, but my parter hasn't, I really want to take him to the tapas place i found last time!

I was also told, that due to it being a charter flight, out check-in luggage (from the hold) would go straight to the ship?

I've been to barcelona before, but my parter hasn't, I really want to take him to the tapas place i found last time!

Welcome to the boards by the way!

Not sure what you mean by Charter Flight but they may still wait on other flights to come in. You will be able to find that out when you get through customs/passport control. Nice that they are taking care of your bags for you. Need to be sure your luggage has the tags on. If you don't have to check in yourselves I should cab it in to town from the airport as AlbertRoss suggested.

Tapas for lunch sounds wonderful ;)

Make sure this is true as we have on this sort of occasion still had to take our luggage from the carousel to the exit doors where RCI collected it then took it in a van to the ship.

RCI don't have charter flights so it must be a special your TA has organised; and usually you take your own luggage from the reclaim to the coach, so yours sounds a bit strange.

Best you check with your TA as to the plans and timings.

If they really are taking your luggage for you then you can just take a taxi straight into town - stop at Placa Catalunya and walk the length of Ramblas to the statue and then pick up the blue bus there.

You must be on board 90mins before sailing time.

We did this cruise last year. By the time you get your luggage and clear customs, it will be at least 11:30 AM. I'd go right to the ship, drop off my luggage and check in. Then, if you want to jump into a cab and hit the Ramlas, it is only a 10 minute cab ride.

I'd also just take a cab from the airport to the ship. That was the easiest method.

RCI don't have charter flights so it must be a special your TA has organised

You must be on board 90mins before sailing time.

It could be that the TA has organised it, but it has come through with all the itinerary, stating charter flight.

...and that answers my next question! - 90mins.....

by Charter, i took it to mean, that RCI had organised/requested the flight from the airline. Opposed to scheduled, where anyone can book/fly.

RCI don't do that - hire a whole plane - they just book you a seat on a scheduled BA flight (or EZY if you are unlucky!).

But it could be that your TA has soooo many people going on the cruise, that they have booked their own plane. Your flight number

may give you a clue as to whether it is scheduled or chartered.

And welcome to CC as well from me!

We're pretty speedy with answers on this site! Must be that there is nothing on TV tonight!

RCI don't do that - hire a whole plane - they just book you a seat on a scheduled BA flight (or EZY if you are unlucky!).

But it could be that your TA has soooo many people going on the cruise, that they have booked their own plane. Your flight number

may give you a clue as to whether it is scheduled or chartered.

And welcome to CC as well from me!

We're pretty speedy with answers on this site! Must be that there is nothing on TV tonight!

Its definitely Charter, and its with Jet2. I booked with a Cruise Club.

and yes, there is a certain lacking of 'something' in the Sunday night TV scheduling!

Archived