Hotel in Dover, UK

inbennett

We have stayed at the East Lee Guest House twice prior to Oceania cruises. The owners are absolutely delightful people. The guest house is within walking distance of some wonderful restaurants.

http://www.eastlee.co.uk/

The first time we were there we had a couple of days and a car and spent part of one day visiting Canterbury. We had made a point of watching the movie "Becket" before we left home so visiting the Cathedral was an exciting and moving experience.

I can understand (possibly) staying in Dover prior to a cruise BUT as a destination after, I really think you will be very disappointed.

Dover is an major Port concentrating on crossing the English Channel. The majority of which is Freight. The roads are busy and there really is almost NOTHING to see.

Canterbury is a Historic City and not that far away and I really think you will enjoy it far more.

Brian

Pre-cruise several years ago we stayed at the guest quarters connected with the Canterbury Cathedral. Absolutely loved it. Very unassuming, modest accommodations, impeccably clean and comfortable. Right on Cathedral grounds-- fantastic! Also enjoyed the town itself very much. Wouldn't have loved a week there, but 2 days were perfect.

While I don't dispute the suggestions of others about Canterbury, should you decide that it would be best to stay right in Dover, due to the proximity to the piers, I would recommend the Ramada in Dover.

It is fairly modern, comfortable and about a 5 - 10 minute cab ride to and from the ship. There's nothing close by of interest, but then again, what is there in Dover?

http://www.ramadadover.co.uk/

Archived