Rum Point?

ashnac

Questions:

(1) If we rented a car and went to Rum Point, are there any tours from Rum Point to Stingray City?

(2) How far is Rum Point (driving) from the port area?

Thanks!

I really wouldn't recommend driving in the port area, due to the congestion in that area. We rented our car from Avis at the airport(free shuttle from the Blue Iguana in town), and were advised to allow 45 min drive time if we drove all the way around the east end to Rum Point. You can shorten the trip a bit by driving up the road that goes to the Botanical Garden. That would probably cut off 15-20 minutes of driving.

Can't answer as to trips to Stingray City from Rum Point.

Count on about 40 minutes to drive from where you pick up your rental car to Rum Point.

Red Sail Sports has the water sports concession at Rum Point. They offer a two stop snorkeling trip from that location. The normal captain of that boat seems to operate in his own time zone - Captain Jimmy non-Standard Time. He frequently is running late.

We are planning on renting a car, jeep or whatever in Grand Caymen. Any advice on what to see?

There is a lot to see going in both directions from Georgetown. West Bay has Turtle Farm, good beaches, and snorkeling at Turtle Reef. To the East, you can drive around the island with beautiful scenery, beaches, North Shore with rougher water but good sites and on to Rum Point for beaches and snorkeling. See starfish there.

Hard to get lost and remember to drive on left. Get an early start to avoid the traffic. You will encounter heavy traffic along 7 mile beach early in the day going west and heavy late going back to Georgetown.

Have a good time.

Ok, so I just saw some amazing pictures of Rum Point. My question is how do you get there and is it worth going?

I would love any advice possible. Good or bad

Thanks

I thought I saw somewhere mentioning that the Rum Point beach that's used for several tours in conjunction with stingray snorkeling that there's sea grass at that beach. We'll be there in late July, thoughts please?

I thought I saw somewhere mentioning that the Rum Point beach that's used for several tours in conjunction with stingray snorkeling that there's sea grass at that beach. We'll be there in late July, thoughts please?

Rum point Beach is very beautiful. We did a combo stingray, snorklilng and rum point with Island Marketing. It was great. It also included lunch. I think to drive there would take some time. Check out a map.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a car that we picked up at the airport, and drove straight to Rum Pt. Beach. It was quiet and secluded UNTIL the boats full of people from Stingray City started to arrive. The lady at the beach restaurant wouldn't even get us some nachos because they were so busy setting up for the food ordered from the boat, even tho they were still in the water. When we complained to her boss, we got nachos in 2 minutes ! They also would only give change in Cayman $$.

As I said in my previous message, the only ways to get to Rum Point are either with an excursion that stops there or by rental car. However, it's too far from the port area to do a different excursion and still have time to drive to Rum Point and back. You're either going to have to look for a Rum Point excursion from another operator, skip the excursion or skip Rum Point. Sorry...

We've always hired a cab driver for the day on other islands. Is this not done in GC?

Rum point Beach is very beautiful. We did a combo stingray, snorklilng and rum point with Island Marketing. It was great. It also included lunch. I think to drive there would take some time. Check out a map.

Was this tour very crowded?we were looking at trying to book a charter with them . it is 400 for up to 6 people and 45 for each person after that. they just don't say how many people they take. we prefer a small group over a party boat.

We've always hired a cab driver for the day on other islands. Is this not done in GC?

I have read of some people doing this, but I have no idea how much it would cost. A "normal" taxi ride from Georgetown to Rum Point is about $80US each way for a group of 2-3 people. It's a 45 minute drive...

Was this tour very crowded?we were looking at trying to book a charter with them . it is 400 for up to 6 people and 45 for each person after that. they just don't say how many people they take. we prefer a small group over a party boat.

Our group was not very big. I would think approximately 20-25 people. Some were kids. Was nothing like a "party" boat....no alcohol was served.

Archived