Newbie - What type of stateroom should we book?

kittywife77

Hi all,

I am a newbie both to cruising and the forums here. My hubby and I are considering booking a cruise to the Fjords with our baby, who will be 13 months old when we sail, on the Ventura in July this year.

We have decided on this ship because of the facilities for the little one, can anyone shed any light on whether cruising with such a young tot is a good idea (I am extremely aerophobic, which is bizarre as the hubby is a silent partner in his family's flying school!) and what type of cabin to go for.

Many thanks in advance,

KW77

I agree, the best cabin you can afford, as with a baby more space will make your life easier onboard. A balcony cabin is lovely, but beware of the balcony if your little one is walking /climbing now? The balcony rail is quite high and unless he's *********, it should be safe as long as you are with him at all times.

I did the Fjords in September, some photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/OceanaAugust2009FjordsCruise?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSenbjJ_a7hXQ#5378441939071488114

AND SOME PHOTOS of the ship Ventura here for you:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/VenturaWeekenderSept08#5246677551498717762

DON'T KNOW WHY ONE WORD IS BLANKED OUT IT WAS ONLY SUPER MAN!

Thanks all, I hadn't factored in the light considerations - but our little girl is very good at going to sleep at any time and in any conditions... I wonder where she gets that from?!? I suppose we wouldn't actually be in the cabin for that long really - I was just wondering in terms of size and fitting a cot bed in.

LibraLass - thanks for the photos, both the ship and the Fjords look better than I thought they would.

Don't worry about the clarification on aerophobia, indeed I am deathly afraid of flying, last time I did it I was 15 weeks pregnant and cabin crew had to chase me from running away from the gate!

Again, thanks all!

KW

John, have your posts gone walkies?

Can't remember! I did ask the OP why she posted about the disorder when it had no bearing on cruising, seems to have gone, don't know why perfectly reasonable thing to ask, bearing in mind the confusion, oh yes & a definition of the malady to clear up any confusion.

Hi all,

I am a newbie both to cruising and the forums here. My hubby and I are considering booking a cruise to the Fjords with our baby, who will be 13 months old when we sail, on the Ventura in July this year.

We have decided on this ship because of the facilities for the little one, can anyone shed any light on whether cruising with such a young tot is a good idea (I am extremely aerophobic, which is bizarre as the hubby is a silent partner in his family's flying school!) and what type of cabin to go for.

Many thanks in advance,

KW77

Hi - just to say that Ventura has fantastic childrens facilities. Your lo will be too young to stay in the kid clubs but you will be able to take him/her there as long as you stay with him/ her. You can also use the night nursery as long as you get him/her off to sleep first. ( they will then give you a pager and call you if they wake). The kids club staff are amazing !!!!! Swimming pool wise -Ventura isn't the best. There is a tiny paddling pool and a tiny kids pool - apart from that though all the pools are very deep . Not sure on the situation with using swim nappies in the pools - you will need to check with P and O. Most cruise lines will not allow babies in swim nappies into their pools. Don't know if this applies to the kids pools as well. Food wise they are great and will blend food for you in the MDR. I think they also provide jars of baby food in the buffet restaurant.

I too am not so keen on flying and we have cruised twice with our dd who is now 4 and we are soon to cruise again. My dd loves it. Embarkation is very straightforward , much better than flying - usually very quick and once you are onboard you holiday starts!!!!!

Whether or not 13 months is a good age to cruise depend on your lo. If they are walking - it can be hard work!!!!! However if they are content to be pushed around in a buggy and will sleep well I'm sure will have a great time.

Personally I think Ventura is one of the best ships for small children sailing from Southampton. We did try RCI but found them very poor with children under the age of 3. Great for older kids but they did not cater for the tiny ones very well.

Hth

Sue

John - please don't worry about it. I take no offence, I referred to it in the sense of being afraid of flying and wasn't aware of the other definition.

Take care.

Well KW I was only trying to answer your question & did welcome you to the site in the first place!!....so as the malady has no bearing on cabin choice we can forget that, unless you get Vertigo or anything? that would make looking over the side unpleasant. If you are happy with the security on a balcony with the little one, I would go for a balcony, lots of scenery, this can be seen from deck of course but waking up to that view is fantastic, spot of breakfast on the balcony too. As for position I find it makes no difference but then we are lucky & don't suffer from motion sickness(yet) so we go for a convenient position with good views, on Ventura I would try to get one aft, overlooking the wake, but try to avoid those with the obstructive beam a good TA will know which one's.

Archived