Which Balcony room for Hawaiian Cruise

ajohnstu

Hello everyone.

Just trying to determine if the Pride of America Hawaii cruise is worth taking. We are spending 3 1/2 weeks in the islands and thought the week long cruise, first, would be a great way to get to know the islands a bit and relax into it.

What side of the ship should we book, we would rather have island views than sea views on the cruise part.

The ship seems to get mixed reviews although so did the NCL sun when we went to Alaska but we loved it. We tend to not go to the entertainment, but like to enjoy our space to read, do excursions and enjoy the promenade deck and exploring the ship and using the gym. We also tend not to use the pay for restaurants after finding Il Adagio on the Sun was rubbish for the extra cash along with poor service. We found the main dining rooms were pretty good so didn't feel a need to use the pay restaurants.

I am reading the forums but would liek some basic input if people have any.

1) Which side is best

2) Balcony is a must I assume? How much time at sea? Is there anything

to see at sea.....

Thanks a lot

We just got back from a two week vacation, one week on land, and one on POA. We just loved the POA, food was good, service excellent but very informal, crew was friendly, etc. We like getting balcony rooms but got an inside for this trip and didn't regret it. We were so busy during the day at all the ports we didn't have time to sit on an balcony. On the POA we saw an amazing lava show as it went down the side of the mountain at night, and also a great viewing of the scenic coast of most northern of the main islands. And if your outside in public areas for these special sail byes, you can listen to a narrative about them.

Hello everyone.

Just trying to determine if the Pride of America Hawaii cruise is worth taking. We are spending 3 1/2 weeks in the islands and thought the week long cruise, first, would be a great way to get to know the islands a bit and relax into it.

What side of the ship should we book, we would rather have island views than sea views on the cruise part.

The ship seems to get mixed reviews although so did the NCL sun when we went to Alaska but we loved it. We tend to not go to the entertainment, but like to enjoy our space to read, do excursions and enjoy the promenade deck and exploring the ship and using the gym. We also tend not to use the pay for restaurants after finding Il Adagio on the Sun was rubbish for the extra cash along with poor service. We found the main dining rooms were pretty good so didn't feel a need to use the pay restaurants.

I am reading the forums but would liek some basic input if people have any.

1) Which side is best

2) Balcony is a must I assume? How much time at sea? Is there anything

to see at sea.....

Thanks a lot

Yes, it is worth taking and a wonderful cruise.

The POA isn't like the Caribbean cruise ships. It has an American crew. We found service to be lacking. Service in the dining room was slow. We often just went to the buffet as it was easier and quicker. You have to think about this cruise as a floating hotel. It is a great value for the money since Hawaii is so expensive. You are taking the cruise to see Hawaii not really for the cruise.

I don't think one side of the ship is any better than the other. The Napali coast viewing both sides get views. One side going and the other coming back. I suggest going out on the public decks during the lava viewing and Napali coast viewing that way you can listen to the narration along the way.

A balcony is NOT a must. This is a very busy port intensive cruise. You will have little time to sit on your balcony. Your at sea time is all done at night. You are generally out and about during the whole day on the islands. Then just use the room to shower, change, go to dinner and then crash. This was not a relaxing cruise as we were always busy, out and about, going here and there. We also booked an inside room and were fine. Hawaii is expensive so save whatever money you can. However, I am frugel. ;)

One thing I would suggest is to save money on excursions and just rent a car at each port. Hawaii is the USA and it is easy to drive there. It is the best way to see Hawaii and the freedom is wonderful. This way you can go any where and every where, stop where ever and when ever you want. I paid only around $40 for a car a day and saw a whole lot more of the islands than any excursion ever did. Was also nice to stop at walmart for cheap gifts and sodas for the cabin etc.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you a wonderful cruise.

Archived