Difference between Ship & Port Time after DST 03/15

pork917

We will be arriving in Grand Cayman on March 15th. Carnival's Itinerary says 8am-3pm. I am unsure if that is ship or local time. To my understanding GC does NOT observe DST which starts March 14th. Am I correct to assume that we will actually be arriving at 7am which is local time. Our cruise leaves on March 13th, the day before DST beings, so I am unsure if the cruise time will switch to DST or not. This whole thing is messing me up because I am trying to plan out shore excursions. Any help is much appreciated!!!

You are correct.

I'm assuming you are departing from the Eastern Time zone, so here's how it works:

Grand Cayman is in the Eastern Time zone, so during standard time, your ship and port will be the same. However, as you mentioned, the ship will observe Daylight Savings time (Spring forward 1 hour) during the early morning hours on March 14th, but Grand Cayman will not. Soooo...when you are in GC the next day on March 15th, port time will be -1 hour different than ship's time.

Note: Do always check the Carnival Capers (aka Fun Times) at each port to confirm the time difference before you leave the ship, and always keep your watch on ship's time.

Have fun!

We will be arriving in Grand Cayman on March 15th. Carnival's Itinerary says 8am-3pm. I am unsure if that is ship or local time. To my understanding GC does NOT observe DST which starts March 14th. Am I correct to assume that we will actually be arriving at 7am which is local time. Our cruise leaves on March 13th, the day before DST beings, so I am unsure if the cruise time will switch to DST or not. This whole thing is messing me up because I am trying to plan out shore excursions. Any help is much appreciated!!!

Use this converter site for planning.

http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

8 AM ship time is 7AM Grand Cayman

But as Lady Jag says, keep your watch on ship time and don't use your cell phone as a watch proxy.

Archived