On-Board Accident

pap5211

This is not true of all policies. You have to read them to see what's covered. Why did you wife need more room on the plane for a broken wrist?

I was of the same opinion I was prepared to stay in New Zealand to seek proper treatment the wrist had to be set and put in a solid cast to ensure no movement occurred. But the insurance company at the time seemed to care that we should get home to Australia to seek treatment by our own doctors and because of flying My wife's arm could not be put in a solid cast due to swelling that was still occuring, so the Insurance company suggested putting it in a temporary cast and giving us more room to avoid it getting knocked. I now know that it was cheaper to upgrade us than pay medical bills and hotel costs for myself and children for the 7 days that it took to stabilise.

I disagree. If someone is running through my lawn trips over a blade of grass, falls down and breaks their wrist. They are entitled to sue me for the blade of grass in my yard causing them harm...

Not saying this is right, but more of a reflection of the sad state of our Judicial system.

If it is a thief running from the police? I'd bet he could still sue... pathetic eh?

If you think that is bad an elderly person was sued by someone who broke into his house for injuries sustained by what he called excessive force to detain him. The old bloke was an ex Nam vet and he broke the burglars arm with a baseball bat ( this was the 4th time he had been robbed).

Under Aust Law he was deemed liable but because we have free medical here he (the theif)was awarded one dollar. The public subscription taken up to help this old digger in his court case netted a lot more than that

• 3 weeks later...
As we were leaving dinner the last night of our cruise on the Carnival Spirit, my wife slipped on a wet spot and ended up with a broken wrist, bruised eyebrow, black eye and stitches in her other hand. The ship's med team took good care of her and did not bill us for their services. She had to get a plate inserted by surgery, etc., has been in a cast for a few weeks and the med bills are growing. I am looking for advice on what path to follow. We are not anxious to go the lawyer/suing route, but worry if we try to resolve it direct with Carnival, we may screw up the case, should we end up needing an att'y. Is there danger of dealing direct with Carnival?

I am very sorry about your wife's accident. I have have a story to share about my mother on the Norwegian cruise line. She was involved in a accident that left her with a damaged knee that needed surgical repair. The cruise ship actually tipped almost 90 degrees because of a human error involving the ballasts. She had to undergo painful surgery and therapy to repair a torn meniscus . She did not sue privately as this was a large civil case where many people were injured. It required her to travel to NewYork a few times to the corporate offices of the civil case attorney's to give a deposition. The cruise line actually told her to contact the attorney so in this case that is what she did. She settled out of court for a decent amount of money and they covered all her medical bills. I don't know if this helps as yours' is a private injury case but I would suggest an attorney so that your wife's injuries expenses are handled properly. I am not against the cruise lines at all. I just know that as a nurse, injuries can cause long term difficulties that may require more surgical intervention or more medical care in the future. It would be in your wife's best interest to make sure she will be given the fairest treatment possible so that all her ongoing expenses will be covered. I would also like to add that her legal intervention may help someone else in the future from suffering needlessly.

Good Luck

My mother fell on the Marco Polo She broke her leg, six ribs and her collarbone. The travel insurance covered 4 weeks in the Rome hospital, first class seats for her and a nurse back to the US, tranport to US hospital and rehab hospital. Have you checked with the travel insurance cmpany. It should cover all the expenses.

Regarding the post about the cruise ship tipping , the cruise line was the Princess not Norwegian . I do apologize for misquoting myself. It has been a few years since this occurred, the shipped tipped enough on one side to empty out the pool water so "90 degrees" was also not correct and for this I also apologize. I do hope that anybody who is injured aboard any ship will take the necessary steps to protect themselves in regards to any future medical problems arising from the original incident. I say this from experience , I had a slip and fall accident at work that has changed my life as well as disabled me, but at the time it didn't seem like much of an "accident".

Archived