New Orleans~questions for anyone who has left from this port!

hottie4ucmu

I am going on the sensation on 3/7/05 and I have many questions about the airport/port/hotel/transportation/ect so hopefully you can help me out! First, we are looking to stay for a couple days prior to leaving in the French Quarter. We are flying so we are going to need transprotation to our hotel. I read on carnival that it is approximately 35-40 minute ride. Has anyone taken a taxi and do you know how much it costs usually? I do know that places like the hampton inn will shuttle you to/from airport for 35.00 each way....what would be cheaper?

I have also read some pretty SCARY reviews of hotels on tripadvisor.com-cockroaches and scary neighborhoods! Especially since there will be 4 21 year old ladies I'm not comfortable in the ghetto-no big guys to scare people off. Has anyone stayed in a hotel around the french quarter that they would recommend? I'm not looking for the ritz carlton just something simple that is safe.

The hampton inn looked pretty reasonable and safe-anyone stay there? I know the port is just minutes from the french quarter, or at least that's what mapquest said, so that should be no problem. Also what time can you board on the sensation? Thank you for the help!

We stayed here in New Orlands and it was very nice.

Ramada Plaza

The Inn On Bourbon

http://www.innonbourbon.com/

The inside rooms overlook a court yard pool area and are quiet even when the party is going on pretty good on the street.

My wife booked it off priceline or someother online booking website and got a rate of something like $75 per night. Parking was another $25 but parking on Bourbon Street is high. We felt we got a good deal.

It also puts you right in the middle of the action of Bourbon Street.

The Inn on Bourbon is my favorite and really is the most convenient. If you find a good price I would go with it. we have stayed at Hampton Inn on both Carondelet and Convention Center Blvd. Both are good ;clean, and convenient. The Convention Center location has a shuttle to take you to the French Quarter and runs 'till around midnight. we called them to pick us up when we were ready to call it a night. The Carondelet location is within walking distance but I would take a cab back if staying late in the Quarter. New Orleans is really a fairly safe city if you stick to the"'Touristy" areas. Please remember, if it looks scary,it probably is not a good place to be. Some pointers, don't pee on the street, pet the police horses or talk back to the cops or bouncers. Don't miss the balcony at The Cats Meow; Razoos or the Bourbon Street Blues Company. All good places for girls your age. Razoos has had a problem with their bouncers lately but I think you will be fine.

We stayed at the Monteleone, nice hotel in the quarter, 1 block off Bourbon. First check out the Hotels pre/post cruise board, and the New Orleans Ports of call board. Lots of info there. If you're looking for a good italian restuarant with great italian wines stop in Carmelo on Decatur ( and say hi to my daughter Jess-she 21 also- goes to UNO) Have a great time in NOLA, and a great cruise!

Taxi: 20-30 minute ride from airport to downtown. They have a flat rate - $25 for the first person and $10 for each extra person, so it would be cheaper for you guys in a taxi.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites which is close to the port - we could see the ships from our room. We loved the free breakfast buffet and two hour cocktail reception each day. We walked to the French Quarter - about four or five blocks away and always felt safe. Have fun!

I'm from N.O.

The Inn on Bourbon has had many, many names and owners over the years, but continues to be THE best location in the Quarter, bar none. It's the closest to the action you can find...a great place to stay! I rent a suite there for one wknd during Mardi Gras every year, and never leave the balcony overlooking Bourbon.

Yep, there are so really seedy parts of N.O. you'll want to avoid. Your best bet is to call toll free numbers of various hotels in the Quarter, and find out exactly how many blocks from Jackson Square they're located. This will give you a good idea of where you'll be - as Mapquest and those other sites can be confusing. Jackson Square is the center of the Quarter, and any hotel within a 4-5 block radius is good.

Go here for tons of info: http://neworleansonline.com/

For your safety, stay ONLY in lighted areas, and where the crowds are. DO NOT venture down any alleys. Using common sense will keep you safe in our wonderful city, and you'll have stories to tell when you get home. Hope y'all have a wonderful visit!:)

Hilton-Riverside is also a nice hotel. Pricing usually depends on events going on at the time since it is a convention center hotel. Doubletree is also close & was nice a couple of years ago when we stayed there. Both are close to Harrah's & Riverwalk Mall...not far from the pier.

Like Dan said, it is a safe town if you pay attention to your surroundings. I have been there alone and visit quite often....never had a problem. Have fun...it is a great port to cruise from.

Like Dan said, it is a safe town if you pay attention to your surroundings. I have been there alone and visit quite often....never had a problem. Have fun...it is a great port to cruise from.

Brenda knows, she took a girls "Tour" of the French Quarter during her last trip! Right B?? :D

We have rooms booked at the Holidy Inn Select near the convention center and the port. I have read horror stories about the traffic to board and eventhough the hotel has a free shuttle, is it reasonable to walk from the hotel to the port? If our luggage is on rollers could we reasonably walk it? I am a "time nerd" and like to get to the port early and board early and I know that if I were sitting in a shuttle bus for an hour in traffic I would be a nervous wreck. Has anyone stayed at this hotel? We are getting it for $129.00 which includes a bottle of wine, breakfast, free transportation to the pier and parking for the week. This is the pre-cruise special. Please let me know if anyone is familiar with this hotel. Thanks!

Hello!

I am interested in where you found the Holiday Inn Select? We are going on the Conquest in June we would like to leave our car at the hotel then be shuttled to the port. This hotel seems like the best deal, but I can not find it when I search the Holiday Inn website. Could you please tell be the specifics of the hotel such as address, etc.

Thanks

Swami,

I got my info from the website Neworleansonline.com. Click on accomidations and then hotel directory and it is a great source of info on NOLA hotels. The phone number for Holiday Inn Select is 888-524-1881 and their address is 881 Convention Center Blvd. I would call soon as they told me that the "cruise special" is filling fast. Ask for the cruise special when booking. Good luck! When in June are you sailing? We are sailing JUne 26th. Can't wait!

We stayed at the Prince Conti - 1/2 block from the middle of Bourbon Street and LOVED it! Got $45/night room rate and were very pleased. There was a little grocery store right next door and we got last minute cruise things there. We took a town car from the airport and for 3 of us we paid $15/each. The cab ride to the pier the next morning was $7/each. I'd highly recommend this hotel. It's a smaller property, but we were really pleased. I will definitely stay there again.

One place I would recommend AVOIDING is the Holiday Inn Express on Carondolet. We stayed there before and after our cruise. Booked ahead of time. Got the rooms for $147 a night and they tried to charge us twice that amount. I had a copy of the reservations that I made on-line and that saved us. The night after the cruise, they put us in an inside room that had a window that opened into the hall. What a view. Never again!

booked a room at the Hyatt for $60.00 plus taxes on Priceline -We will be going on Conquest 4/23/05 -- pre cruise for one night.

go to biddingfortravel.com to see what the best bidding prices are.

TOM B in PHX

Archived