Captain Alan

jittey3

I have a question. Captain Alan's 4 hour snorkle tour. This looks like a really fun tour but I've read here that you have to swim to the beaches he takes you to? We will be with my 74 yr old MIL and although she is in pretty good shape I am a little concerned about that. My DH loves to snorkle and this looks like a great excursion for him and my DD (13).

The email I received from them says this is a "New" 4 hour tour. Has anyone been on it recently?

We did this tour in Jan. When we booked it was called the 3 island snorkel tour. Now they don't call it that, which is I think because they don't want to guarantee they will go to 3 islands.

We did a snorkel stop from the boat. Anyone who didn't want to snorkel can stay onboard. Then when we went to the beach we did have a short swim to shore. The drop off was steep there, so the boat got in quite close. Still, we had a couple of people who opted to stay on the boat. We were only on shore for about 20 min. to maybe half hour max. Then we did another snorkel stop from the boat, followed by a stop at Pinel. Here we waded to shore. The water was very calm here and only to deep to stand for a few feet.

When we went the water was quite rough getting from spot to spot, so we did crash pretty hard over the waves. It was really fun, but I could see it wouldn't be ideal for people who aren't big on being on small boats on rough water, or water in general. My ex would've hated it! LOL On the other hand, my 82 year old Dad would have loved it!

Anyway, I hope that helps?

We just did it in February. I highly recommend it. Our boat ride was okay but a little bumpy at times. Your MIL can ride in the back behind the captain where we were with our 9-10 year olds if it gets rough. They arranged the taxi over and back with no hitches. We had 2 snorkeling stops and as sunseeker said nearly drove up on Happy beach for the mudbath. One of thing of note, that we forgot also. Remember you will be on the French side of St maarten and the locals on Happy beach could welcome you as clothing optional. If you could have seen the look on my kids faces.....PRICELESS!!!LOL. The beach was awesome and we all had a ball on this trip! We even rescued an eldery couple who had swamped their rented kayak and were floating 6-7 miles from their hotel and several miles offshore heading for open ocean. They were extremely lucky we spotted them................if I can help you further please ask.

i am quite possibly the biggest capt. alan groupie:)

my husband does not swim at all and he still raves about this excursion. 1st of all....you see most of the perimeter of st. martin and it is gorgeous. even if you stay on the boat.....the scenery (beaches on private deserted coves) is breathtaking:)

Thanks for all your replies. It sounds like a lot of fun and not to be missed. I'll have to talk to my MIL to make sure she is good with it, she is pretty easy going. But I am sold!!!!

Oh, one more question. It looks like there is shade on the boat? She definately needs shade.

Thanks again!

I might rival you for the spot of "biggest fan". I was so excited to see that we are going back there this year. I have already contacted him.

jittey3....I agree with what has been posted, lots of shade, a bumpy ride (speed boat going fast) ( one of our party fell forward and smashed her head. I think she zigged when he zagged) We had a mother (of a 41 year old....don't know how old she was) and she did great...no problem)............but we went to three places, one was Tintemare (which I don't think he goes to anymore)...that one was a real short, short swim (like three or four arm lengths until you could touch) the next two were not at shore at all, just floating where you could snorkel. No where to swim too....I guess on Pinel, we could have swam wayyyyy over to the beach. I'm sure he will accommodate you as much as he can.

Here is a movie that shows you what the day was like

http://gallery.me.com/flipfloppincastaways#100238

Have a blast

I inquired about this trip for our July Cruise on Liberty of the Seas. It is now called the "coastal snorkeling - beach & mudbath adventure". We are listed to dock from 9-6 & the email said I could do the 8:45-12:45 trip? I have 2 teens 15 & 18 & they really enjoyed snorkeling in Grand Cayman so I think they will love this. I am just torn b/c I know we could just get a taxi to Orient Beach & spend a lot less, but I guess Labadee will work great for a "beach day". The email recommends I arrange transportation to their location with them...they quoted me $12/pp...sound right?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

here's the thing....this is not just a snorkel excursion......you will travel the perimeter of st. martin on this immaculate speed boat (which in and of itself is an excursion)....you will stop at private coves the beauty of which is jaw dropping. you will drop anchor and swim to shore....snorkel in gorgeous spots.....and if your tour includes this...take a mud bath that would cost you $$$$$ in the spa on the ship. this will become one of (if not) THE BEST EXCURSION you've ever taken;)

Hey Jen, scratch that last question...I watched a little more and got my answer! Wasn't that place fantastic?? My daughter got married there almost 3 years ago and we had a group of 35...we had the best time ever. The best part was that both of our daughters came home with Mexican souvenirs that were born 2 days apart (they just turned 2). Thanks for sharing....It sure brought back some great memories and encouraged us to head to St. Martin to make some more wonderful memories.

You got it! I loved the Barcelo....we are headed back in April but trying out the Paladium (just so our pictures look different!) Congratulations to your daughters (but I hope I don't pick up any of those kinds of souvenirs :eek:)

You will love St Martin, I hope, give Captain Alan a try. We just chartered him for the day on our next cruise in October. (did I already say that)

OH you lucky dog...back to the Barcelo in April! And the Palace at that. Dang I am jealous as heck. We are trying to decide on our next trip for sure, we think it will be a cruise that stops at St Martin, but it won't be till Fall/Early winter. It is just too long to wait. Have a fantastic time next month!

When I received my confirmation from Capt Alan's, they stated the pickup time as 8:15 am...our ship doesn't dock till 9 am according to RCL website. I emailed them back, but haven't heard anything yet. From my understanding, ship time/island time should be the same in July. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

When I received my confirmation from Capt Alan's, they stated the pickup time as 8:15 am...our ship doesn't dock till 9 am according to RCL website. I emailed them back, but haven't heard anything yet. From my understanding, ship time/island time should be the same in July. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

I was wondering the same thing and when I asked they emailed me saying that the morning tour wouldn't work but we could do their afternoon tour. It goes from 1pm-5pm. Our ship leaves at 6pm and I don't like cutting it too close. So we are passing on it this time. :(

I was wondering the same thing and when I asked they emailed me saying that the morning tour wouldn't work but we could do their afternoon tour. It goes from 1pm-5pm. Our ship leaves at 6pm and I don't like cutting it too close. So we are passing on it this time. :(

We did the afternoon tour...NO problems getting back. I was nervous too, but with no reason after doing the tour....

I just heard back from Paul @ Capt Alan's & indeed we are arriving into port past their starting time. He suggested we do the excursion from 1 to 5. Walleye2, you stated that you did the afternoon time & you made it back in time? That doesn't leave much time for error. Is "all aboard" at 6 pm or earlier?

If your posted time says 6, all aboard is 5:30. That would make me real nervous. Oyster Bay, where you take off from is 1/4 around the island and you don't know what traffic will do, etc. How many of you are there? Is you can get enough people (I think the excursion/boat holds 14) than maybe you can come back early/ control the time. You can also charter....1/2 day for up to 6 people is $525, I think, with addt'l people at $55. Don't know if that fits your needs or not.....

But that ending time (5) with having to be on board at 5:30 would be too close for me, JMHO!

I just heard back from Paul @ Capt Alan's & indeed we are arriving into port past their starting time. He suggested we do the excursion from 1 to 5. Walleye2, you stated that you did the afternoon time & you made it back in time? That doesn't leave much time for error. Is "all aboard" at 6 pm or earlier?

We had plenty of time getting back to the ship. Ask Alan for the details, they do this every day! We were on an hour difference ship time to island time on our Feb 6 cruise. They WILL not have you back to your ship late....or they are out of business in the cruise excursion business. As I said, I was nervous also, but after the fact without reason. It's just a short ride back to the ship and they will make sure you are not late! Have fun and sorry late getting back to this reply.

In think I would be "on pins & needles" worrying about getting back on time. I think we're going to pass on this excursion. Paul said he would refund my money if we weren't comfortable doing the afternoon schedule. Now we have to figure out an alternative. We may do Bernard, or I am thinking we could just shop in Phillipsburg & go to Orient for a few hours.

Has anyone done any of the RCL excursions? We usually go "outside" the cruise line to arrange them...usually so much cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
I inquired about this trip for our July Cruise on Liberty of the Seas. It is now called the "coastal snorkeling - beach & mudbath adventure". We are listed to dock from 9-6 & the email said I could do the 8:45-12:45 trip? I have 2 teens 15 & 18 & they really enjoyed snorkeling in Grand Cayman so I think they will love this. I am just torn b/c I know we could just get a taxi to Orient Beach & spend a lot less, but I guess Labadee will work great for a "beach day". The email recommends I arrange transportation to their location with them...they quoted me $12/pp...sound right?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Which cruise are you taking in July? We will be on the Liberty and dock in St. Maarten on the 14th. We also want to do the morning and there are 4 of us. If you are interested, maybe we could do a private tour and he would change the time to accomodate us.

Archived