Hey, RCI, enough silliness already

hkarnie

I'VE TAKEN NUMEROUS CRUISES AND USUALLY WHEN THE WAITSTAFF IS GOING TO SING AND PERFORM, THEY MAKE A SPECIAL POINT TO ASK THAT WE LOOK FOR THEM IN THE LINE AND WHEN WE TAKE PICTURES THEY HAM IT UP AND ENJOY THEMSELVES.

This brings me to my point, on the last two cruises I have been on our wait staff was finishing up with us when the "parade" was about to begin in the dining room. Both times we were asked to please stay and watch!

I am sure after a stressful life on board and serving some of the ungrateful people that pop up here and there- a little silliness is a way to lift their spirits and let loose for a few minutes in front of the guests!

Of course I think its cheesy, but its just what they do and have done for years. Let them have their fun! Ignore it if you don't like it :)

On our first couple cruises we really enjoyed the singing and other antics in the dining room. However, that enjoyment diminished with each cruise as did the whole dining room experience.

We think the dining rooms are beautiful and usually the food and service are quite good. We just tired of the rather repetitive and drawn-out dining protocol. We now eat nearly exclusively in the specialty restaurants or the Windjammer.

But we understand that the MDR dining experience is wonderful for many people and that many get a kick out of seeing their waitstaff parade and sing. We once thought that way.

That is the great thing about cruising. There is something for nearly everybody. If it's not you bag or if it has grown old to you move on. There are other options.

IMHO, the best thing to do about things you like or don't like about a particular cruise is to take the time to make your comment known on the end-of-cruise evaluation form. If they get enough of the same type of comment, they may make a change.

And if you really like something that they are doing, take a moment to pen a short note of praise to the appropriate manager in charge of that operation or area. Although not the reason for doing so, we've had some nice treats delivered to our cabin after penning a note of praise to one of the supervisors.

Just because this site is called Cruise Critic, it doesn't mean we have to criticize everyone and everything all the time.;)

On our first couple cruises we really enjoyed the singing and other antics in the dining room. However, that enjoyment diminished with each cruise as did the whole dining room experience.

We think the dining rooms are beautiful and usually the food and service are quite good. We just tired of the rather repetitive and drawn-out dining protocol. We now eat nearly exclusively in the specialty restaurants or the Windjammer.

But we understand that the MDR dining experience is wonderful for many people and that many get a kick out of seeing their waitstaff parade and sing. We once thought that way.

That is the great thing about cruising. There is something for nearly everybody. If it's not you bag or if it has grown old to you move on. There are other options.

Nicely said! We, too have enjoyed the singing and shows, in the beginning of our cruise experience.

Now, we do our own thing. It's great for first timers to be able to experience different aspects of shipboard life, and the sillyness is very enjoyable to some!

And I can head to the WJ or Portofino's, or my cabin for dinner, if that is what we choose.:)

Rick

Well, I want to add that I dislike all that singing Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary, etc. I see no reason for all that singing and happy stuff!

LOL...I agree! NO MORE HAPPY, FUN THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Seriously, though...to each his own. They don't force anyone to do anything and if you don't like what is going on in one part of the ship...then move to another! Many many people DO enjoy all the singing, etc.!

Archived