Stingray Question

Mandie_Jo

I would really like to go on a Stingray Bay excursion in November, but I need to know if it requires treading water? My husband doesn't like to tread water. So when you go on these excursions do you have to "swim" or is the water shallow enough to stand in? Thanks in advance!!

Stingray City is on a sandbar area. I'm 5 feet tall, and the water was just a bit above my waist. We toured with Moby Dick, and we had a stop before the Stingray Sandbar for snorkeling. That was deeper. I can't swim. Stayed on the boat and took pictures.

The vast majorty of snorkle trips to see the stingrays go to the Stingray Sandbar. The water atop the sandbar is shallow enough to stand up comfortably for most adults.

Exactly how deep the water is at the Sandbar depends upon the shifting of sand, level of the tide, and even direction and intensity of the wind. Depending upon how many boats are at the Sandbar at one time, your boat may have to anchor in somewhat deeper water and you may be required to swim a short distance to reach an area where you can stand up.

A very few snorkle trips (and all scuba diving trips) to the stingrays may visit another site, The Original Stingray City. This site is about two miles west of the Sandbar. At this site the water is about 12 to 15 feet deep with no place shallow enough to stand up.

Just to add to the confusion, many trips to the Stingray Sandbar are advertised as trips to "Stingray City".

We went with Moby Dick 11/2009 and the stingray part was in waist deep water. You stood and shuffled your feet on the ocean bottom so you would not accidentally step on them.

The snorkel part was in very deep water, but the boat has metal steps for easy entry and you are provided with life vests. We wore ours. I can swim, but I'm not in shape and I managed fine. I ended up enjoying the snorkel part more.

Google Moby Dick Grand Cayman or the other operators. There are photos on their sites that will give you a better idea. There were about 50 people on ours, wished it was a smaller tour.

My family of 6 went with Moby Dick tours as well in 11/2007. Great company! Apparently the weather had been bad and our tour was the first they had had in a few days due to weather. It was overcast, and a little windy the day we went. They took us to snorkel first while the sandbar cleared out a bit. (other ships) My family at the time consisted of my Husband, myself, and at the time my 4 kids who were 13, 12, 7, and 4. None of us had ever snorkeled, and prior to anyone getting off, one of the tour guides got out and kinda "tested the waters". The water was deep but not extreme, as we could see the bottom fairly closely. Myself and the two older kids got in the water, while my Husband and the younger two stayed on board and took pics. My 7 year old is still mad about having to stay on, but I was just not ready, and not a strong swimmer myself to have to worry about getting him back on the boat if he didn't do well. Other folks did have their kids out there who were smaller than my Son so, who knows? No big waves, but we were swimming against a bit of a current. There were about 5-6 ships at the sandbar, which was waist deep. Each company spread out a bit, so was not too crowded. We had a group of about 20. I loved the experience, the rest of the family got out and at least "tried it" but ended up getting back on the boat. As the stingrays pass you it feels kinda like someone shoving you in the water while your standing still. I did feed and attempt to hold a ray while the guide assisted. Very cool. Glad to have had the experience.

Archived