Info on Port Canaveral

Elationismyship

First let me say, I'm sorry this post is not on the port board but for the life of me I can't find a board for Port Canaveral and port board for USA is about departure port information not if you are visiting the port so it's all posts about hotels, etc.

So, here it goes:

Our Jewel cruise stops in Port Canaveral in in June. We can not do Disney or the Space Center. If we just get off the ship is there going to be transportation available, etc. so that we can get to a beach or get to an area with restaurants/shopping? At least have something to do?

Thanks in advance.

Go to the boards menu, then scroll down to the North America Home Ports and push that. Then go to Florida departures and you scroll down all the different threads there are posted. You might find more information here than you bargined for. Good luck.:)

A few years ago, we stopped here also. While most of us went to the Space Center, a few from our reunion group took a cab to the beach and had a very nice time. There were plent of stores there and places to eat or drink. A few from our group did a kayak excursion and really enjoyed that also. Seems to be something for everyone. There were also plenty of rental car companies there with free shuttles to their locations if you just want to rent a car and go do things on your own.

First let me say, I'm sorry this post is not on the port board but for the life of me I can't find a board for Port Canaveral and port board for USA is about departure port information not if you are visiting the port so it's all posts about hotels, etc.

So, here it goes:

Our Jewel cruise stops in Port Canaveral in in June. We can not do Disney or the Space Center. If we just get off the ship is there going to be transportation available, etc. so that we can get to a beach or get to an area with restaurants/shopping? At least have something to do?

Thanks in advance.

Here is the link to the Florida port boards: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I live 50 miles away, but do not know if there will be any transportation available when you get off the ship in Port Canaveral or not. There will certainly be taxis, but do not know for sure whether you need to book them in advance, etc. The port area is quite a distance from anything - nothing you can walk to. Perhaps a rental car would be your best bet? Do ask on the Florida port board, as we have left and arrived from that port, but always had our own car.

I did find this list of taxi companies and rates posted by a very helpful Cruise Critic member, PSbcap known as “I work in Port Canaveral”. Actually read post #3 below for taxi information, costs, ect. and then the other posts, too, for lots of helpful hints: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1119114&highlight=beach+day+port+canaveral

In Port Canaveral we took a bus to Coco beach. We got off the ship and found the bus waiting outside. It was a big air conditioned bus. It cost $10 per person round trip. The bus stopped at a 7 Eleven across the street from Coco Beach, Walmart and the mall. When we were picked up we had to wait with a mob of people, then take a ride to Walmart, then to the mall, back to Wal-Mart, back to the beach and finally back to the boat. The beach was free to get on. There was a lifeguard and it was quite clean. Several people were surfing. We stopped by Ron Jons' surf shop. Had read that it was a must see. I found it to be a very large overpriced surf shop. It did have an enormous selection of named brand items. We visited the shark tank in the shop behind the store. It paled in comparison to the tanks we saw at Atlantis. All in all it was a fun day.

Just some more info that I have found out for our upcoming stop at PC...several car rental companies will pick you up at the pier and shuttle you to their rental offices (free), and you can rent a car for about $35.00 per day (not including insurance). If you bring the car back before they close, they will shuttle you back to the pier. If you bring it back after they close, just leave the car (with the tank full), drop the keys in the drop box, and take a taxi back to the ship. (I think about $10.00).

That's what we've decided to do...that way we can go where we want, when we want...shop, beach, mini putt, etc.

Have fun, whatever you decide!!

Archived