Conquest 1/9/05-1/16/05 Review (PART 2)

SxyEbnyFem

The Ship

Conquest is a beauty. As I stated previously, this was our first cruise & we were really pleased with our ship selection. It was very clean all the time. Sure, there were some hallways with stained carpets (especially on the Upper Deck 6), but in all, it was clean clean clean. Someone was always cleaning. Our cruise was sold out; however, we didn’t feel crowded at all at any given time, even when at the buffet lines. Not a long wait at all. I enjoyed all the artwork as well. Going up the glass elevators & looking out, it was as if I was in a movie! (Side note: This ship is cold all the time. If you are cold natured like me, bring a thick sweater for sitting in the theater or you will freeze to death!)

Once Onboard

The first thing I did was go to the Purser’s Desk to put cash on my S&S account. There was no line. I was told any amount would be fine, so I put $250 (cash & Funship Dollars combined) on my S&S. I didn’t have any problems using the Funship Dollars, either, like I have read some have had.

Cabin

We stayed in cabin # 8347. It was spacious. Loved the balcony. We spent plenty time there. I am glad we decided to get one for our first cruise. If we ever cruise again together, we will definitely get a balcony. The only time we had a problem sleeping from noise was when the ship was going around 22 knots one night. She was hauling azz & it caused our cabin to rattle all night long. It was somewhat annoying, but I would rather be annoyed at sea than at home! (Side note: I did place those clothespins on the bottom of the shower curtain & they worked just fine. The first time I showered, it overflowed. I had the water on full blast, though. DBF suggested turning down the water pressure & I wouldn’t have that problem. Sheesh, I don’t like it much when he’s right! LMAO! Anyhow, the shower didn’t overflow at all anymore during the week. Also, it was cold in our cabin all the time. It didn’t matter if we changed the thermostat. To heat the room, we left the balcony door opened part of the time. It seemed to do the trick to warm up the cabin. We didn’t use a bungee cord, either. Just propped the little table that was on the balcony against the door and that held it open.)

Cabin Door Decoration

Since it was my DBF’s bday, I made a door sign at home & took it with us. It was huge!! I used two foam boards and taped them lengthwise & decorated them. I debated putting it all together on the ship, but didn’t want to take time out to do it, so I made it before we left home. Got lots of compliments about my creative style. DBF got lots of bday wishes all week long. Everything stayed on the sign, except for the pen I had to keep replacing. Lots of people signed birthday wishes. Many of our neighbors said they appreciated the sign since it helped them find their cabin or to even know if they were on the right deck. Our cabin was located right around the corner from the elevators. And no, we didn’t hear any noise from the elevators.

Cabin Steward

He was from St. Vincent. He was nice, but a bit quiet. Even though we had pre-paid our tips, I left him $2 every morning since he filled our cooler & made sure we had ice in the ice bucket. He made the cute towel animals, but not every night. It didn’t matter to us anyhow. The only thing he didn’t do was the replenishing of the amenities basket. We ran out of toothpaste & used the packets from the basket. After they were gone, he didn’t replace them. I asked another cabin steward in the hall for some. He brought me a bunch, so I tipped him $4. He was so pleased. Every time he saw me, he would smile & speak. On the last night, I decided I would buy a purple Carnival beach towel. I had seen many with them on the deck during the week. I left our steward a note with $5 & asked him to get me one. He left a blue one in our cabin. I went to the Purser’s Desk & told them I wanted purple. After she did some calling around, apparently they don’t have any purple towels in their current stock. It was no problem at all to get the charge reversed. Our cabin steward came right to our room after I left the Purser’s Desk (about midnight or so) to pick up the towel & had the charge taken off. I thought that was very nice considering he was already off work.

Sea Sickness

We didn’t get sick not once, but we were popping Bonine & ginger pills like crazy. The first two days, the ship was all over the place, it seemed, as were her passengers. It was funny to be walking & see others walking. Everyone would walk from one side to the next like they were all drunk. The first two nights at dinner is when we were popping those ginger pills. We were swaying. It was a trip to see the liquid in all the glasses move from one side to the next.

Dining & Service

The food was really good considering what I had previously read. The desserts were kind of lacking as far as having anything I liked. The banana cake was delicious, though. A must try! The service was excellent all the way around. We had breakfast a few times on the Lido Deck. The food was hot. We ordered room service three times. They weren’t slow, as some had mentioned. We ate breakfast in the dining room once late in the week. It was open seating. I prefer breakfast in the dining room to eating at the Lido Deck. The service is good & the food was served hot. It’s just nice to be waited on & mingle with others. Lunch we ate also on the Lido Deck. Lots of different choices from the buffet & once again, hot food.

6:15pm dinner at the Renoir. We were sat at a 4-top. We ate dinner there every night except for the night we went to The Point. Dinner in the Renoir was very good. And yes, I did order more than one entrée some nights. My thing is soup, so I would usually skip a salad & order two soups as well. Not a problem at all. And yes, the food was served hot, with the exception of the lobster bisque – icky! It was lukewarm & not tasty at all! We enjoyed our tablemates very much. They live in the same town as we do, so we will most definitely keep in touch.

The Point

Definitely worth a try! It’s only $25pp, but definitely worth more, in my opinion. DBF had one of the best steaks he’s ever had in his life, so he says. The service was on point, pardon the pun. We had a very enjoyable time there dining with just ourselves. Oddly enough, our tablemates made reservations the same night we did, but we didn’t sit together. They did come over to visit shortly after out main entrée on their way out the door, which we didn’t mind at all. Great people!

Sky Grille

The grill offered very good burgers & fries. We got burgers almost every day – sometimes twice a day! They were served hot & so were the fries, except once.

Sur Mer

Tried it once, but we didn’t finish the meal. It was horrible!!! Too greasy, tasteless & cold!!

Pizzeria

Pizza was so-so. I tried the goat cheese & mushroom pizza & I have to say, it’s not my thing! The best pizza I had was a plain cheese pizza fresh out of the oven.

Paul’s Deli, PC Wok’s, Sushi Bar & The Coffee Shop

Didn’t try as nothing there really appealed to me. I did take some sushi offered on the buffet to a friend for lunch & she liked it.

Drinks

We brought our small hard cooler filled with 2 bottles of wine & had no problems bringing them onboard. We also packed a case of bottled water in a duffle bag, which we gave to the porter, and they all made it safely to our cabin without bursting open. The ship’s fruit punch was really tasty. I wonder how it would taste with vodka? LMAO! The alcoholic drinks we consumed were tasty, too.

Ice Cream Machine

We ate ice cream cones every single night, right after those midnight burgers. We miss that machine!!

PART 3 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=124924

Thanks for the review.. Sounds like you guys had a blast.... I hadnt heard about the clothespins on the bottom on the showercurtain before so I will make a note to bring some.. We are cruising on The Conquest the first week of March and cant wait!!.. We cruised on her in October 2003 and thought she was beautiful!! I agree about the hamburgers.. I dont know what they put in them but they are "The Bomb".... My other favorite is the potato salad!! yum yum..... Im glad to hear your door decoration went over well.. We are bringing our kids and my boyfriends mom this time and I have decorations for the cabins and I have door decorations too.. We are staying in a balcony room this time.. which is a first for us.. we normally do inside and our last cruise we were upgraded from inside to oceanview and then decided to do a balcony this time.. The only thing Im afraid of is that we will never want to go back to inside again :0) Our cabin is near to where you stayed.. It is 8270 and 8276.. so it sounds like it wasnt bad at all..

On to read part 3..

You and I must've been the only freeze-bodies there! I can usually tolerate cool temps (look at where I live, for Pete's sake!) I'd look around, though, and nobody else looked cold, except for the last day at sea. Wish I'd brought a few more chill-chasing tops.

Thanks for the review.. Sounds like you guys had a blast.... I hadnt heard about the clothespins on the bottom on the showercurtain before so I will make a note to bring some.. We are cruising on The Conquest the first week of March and cant wait!!.. We cruised on her in October 2003 and thought she was beautiful!! I agree about the hamburgers.. I dont know what they put in them but they are "The Bomb".... My other favorite is the potato salad!! yum yum..... Im glad to hear your door decoration went over well.. We are bringing our kids and my boyfriends mom this time and I have decorations for the cabins and I have door decorations too.. We are staying in a balcony room this time.. which is a first for us.. we normally do inside and our last cruise we were upgraded from inside to oceanview and then decided to do a balcony this time.. The only thing Im afraid of is that we will never want to go back to inside again :0) Our cabin is near to where you stayed.. It is 8270 and 8276.. so it sounds like it wasnt bad at all..On to read part 3..

Waterbound - Yes, we did have a very enjoyable time on the Conquest! I wish you & yours the same as well when you go in March! I didn't try the potato salad, maybe next time. What are you planning to use as door decorations? I just love creative people! I am most certain you will enjoy your balcony, too. Get out there & sit & enjoy the ocean! It's fabulous!!

You and I must've been the only freeze-bodies there! I can usually tolerate cool temps (look at where I live, for Pete's sake!) I'd look around, though, and nobody else looked cold, except for the last day at sea. Wish I'd brought a few more chill-chasing tops.

Merrilee - Girl, hush! I did notice quite a few other women who were as cold as I. Heck, it was even cold in the elevators! Sheesh! I am glad I took along a few sweaters & even a couple of cute fashionable sweatshirt/sweatpants. I would have froze if I hadn't! Burrrrr!!! I am shocked you didn't notice the icicles I had on me at the Captain's Party! LMAO!

Thanks again, very helpful review. Note to self, pack clothes pins and a couple of sweaters.

Seajay - You are welcomed, again. LOL, yes, do pack the clothes pins & a few sweaters. You will need both! Don't forget the alarm clock as well!!

Happy sailing,

T.

Archived