Will BA 10608 on the Gem hold 4 people? Getting conflicting info.

moopdog

I originally had 4 of us booked for cabin BC 9660. On a diagram of the deck plan, it shows that it does hold 4 people. Last week NCL announced free upgrades, etc. and I called my TA to see if we could cancel and rebook. The answer was "no" but that NCL was willing to give us an upgrade instead to BA 10608. As I was talking to the TA, I was looking at the deck plan and noticed that it has a triangle on it, that represents "third occupancy available". Not a star, for 3, 4, or 5 person occupancy.

When I questioned the TA, she said it must hold 4 people or NCL would not have offered it and said the reservation would not have let them put more people in a cabin that it can hold. Made sense, but then why the mis-labeled deck plan? I'm confused. Should I be worried.

And for that matter - is this an upgrade at all? I mean, one deck up is nice I guess, but I'm not convinced it's an actual upgrade. Although, I'm happy to take it don't get me wrong. ;)

When I was booking my cruise on the Jewel, I went to a third party cruise website to look at deck plans, and saw balconies were 3 occupancy not 4, but then I looked at NCL's own website after talking to an NCL rep and saw that some balconies indeed hold four. I am sure there are much more knowlegable folks than me on this board that could share some insight, but my guess is that NCL has updated some of these balconies to hold four and there are some websites that dont have current deck plans!

You will be MUCH better off in a category AB over a category AC with 4 people. The AB has a quite small but separate second bedroom and bathroom. The master bedroom and bath are out of this world gorgeous and the common living/dining room is gorgeous too. Its a great room! The overall size of the room is sustantially larger than the AC plus you have the added privacy.

Guest liza.pettit

This may not be what you're looking for, but I felt compelled to add: We (hubby and I) went on our first cruise with NCL on the Jewel with another couple. Being that the four of us are in our twenties and strictly wanted to party for our vacation we thought we'd save some $$ for drinks and stay in a room together. We were told that our cabin would accommodate all 4 of us. We could have died when we walked in to the tiny room (though it was super nice and would have held hubby and I very comfortably) with two twins and one twin that folded down from the wall! I don't know from what planet they come from where 3 twin beds can hold 4 adults but it ain't here! LOL, not that I'm putting them down, we had a blast and everything was great. But when we booked our second we got 2 rooms :) My point is... a 4 person room may not mean 4 twins or 2 doubles so I would check and double check.

You will be MUCH better off in a category AB over a category AC with 4 people. The AB has a quite small but separate second bedroom and bathroom. The master bedroom and bath are out of this world gorgeous and the common living/dining room is gorgeous too. Its a great room! The overall size of the room is sustantially larger than the AC plus you have the added privacy.

I think we're talking about two different things. I went from category BC to BA..... not AB or AC. I'm pretty sure that in my case, the cabis are identical to eachother, just one deck up. Am I right??

Also, the deck plan that I was looking at WAS/IS on the NCL website. You'd think it would be the most current...maybe not, though. Thank you.

Those are penthouses and she's looking at balconies.

I think we're talking about two different things. I went from category BC to BA..... not AB or AC. I'm pretty sure that in my case, the cabis are identical to eachother, just one deck up. Am I right??

Also, the deck plan that I was looking at WAS/IS on the NCL website. You'd think it would be the most current...maybe not, though. Thank you.

BA's are midship so that is what makes them more "desirable" and a little more expensive.. so that is why it is an upgrade. BC's are farther in the front or back.. just cabin location but the same cabin.

BD, BC, BB, BA cabins are all the same. Don;t get excited about the mystery upgrade. Only thing that changes is location, and to be honest, some BB's are better located in my mind. They are below other cabins instead of service areas. Why anyone thinks a higher deck is better, I will never understand.

Personally, I would look at two insides for sanity, but that is just me. I like a little privacy which is only shared with my honey.

Totally agree. I can't imagine 4 people sharing a BA. I know people do it, but I know it would be too crowded for me.

Now I am stressing for a totally different reason. I guess I didn't realize that most people don't get a balcony room for a family of 4. I suppose people generally get what? A suite or larger? I thought of it briefly, but couldn't justify the extra $$, I am assuming the two "main" beds push together to be a full or queen, and the other is a foldout bed that is probably a full size, right? I kind of thought this cabin will be comparable to a smallish hotel room.

Am I making a huge mistake? My kids are 9 and 7 - certainly not infants. Hmmm.:eek:

For younger kids like yours (9 & 7) you should be okay. The foldout is less than a double I think. Some have a pull down bunk from the ceiling I think.

Some have done 4 adults which does get crazy.

I remember older ships that had insides and oceanviews with two singles on the floor, and two uppers which worked really good. Don;t think any of the NCL ships have that??

You will be fine with the kids. We traveled for years that way. If the kids do tend to bug each other, you could have the regular bed made into two twins and you and DH could sleep on the pull out. Don't worry, you'll have a great time. Use the money for fun outside the cabin.

Keep in mind while a cabin may hold more people, sometimes due to lifeboat limits they won't book the max to a certain cabin depending on how the ship books. Then there are other times when the ship books too fully after you booked your cabin, and they will move you to a different cabin lifeboat assignment.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1132744&highlight

Hopefully this will work. There is a picture of a balcony cabin with all beds out in this thread. My family of 4 will be staying in a balcony cabin as well in March and while it will be tight, we are going to make the best of it. We don't plan to spend a whole lot of time in the room, plus we figure the balcony will help.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1132744&highlight

Hopefully this will work. There is a picture of a balcony cabin with all beds out in this thread. My family of 4 will be staying in a balcony cabin as well in March and while it will be tight, we are going to make the best of it. We don't plan to spend a whole lot of time in the room, plus we figure the balcony will help.

That's my review :D and yes, if you scroll to page 2 of the thread there is a picture of the room after turndown - the first picture is our BA cabin 10668 (on the stern of Pearl). My kids are ages 9 & 8.

We managed to fit just fine into the cabin, it's cozy when the beds are turned down, and a challenge to get to the balcony since you have to crawl over and across the pullout bed without bumping your head on the bunk bed above - but it's doable! We loved this room - loved the oversized balcony and stern views.

I think most families will kids will do just fine with this set up. 4 adults would be a little squishy and I would not attempt that unless EVERYONE was the super-easy-going cooperative and neat types.

Debbie

That's my review :D and yes, if you scroll to page 2 of the thread there is a picture of the room after turndown - the first picture is our BA cabin 10668 (on the stern of Pearl). My kids are ages 9 & 8.

We managed to fit just fine into the cabin, it's cozy when the beds are turned down, and a challenge to get to the balcony since you have to crawl over and across the pullout bed without bumping your head on the bunk bed above - but it's doable! We loved this room - loved the oversized balcony and stern views.

I think most families will kids will do just fine with this set up. 4 adults would be a little squishy and I would not attempt that unless EVERYONE was the super-easy-going cooperative and neat types.

Debbie

Thank you for the review and the pictures. We will be in this cabin on the Pearl in August to Alaska. Our kids are 15 and 12. They have been in insides, ocean views, and suites. If we survived the inside cabin on the Spirit, we can survive the BA on the Pearl with the awesome balcony and views!

Archived