shorts in dining room

shelli0729

Really? Wow you mean instead of the A I received on my finals I could have gotten an A+ if I would have worn a suit instead of jeans:confused:

What a crock.........

I know...I laughed when I read the "study" of how someone dresses. I am sure these "studies" were done mostly in private schools where they have the means to a wonderful education. It just so happens that almost all private schools have uniforms. ;)

Just go to the buffet. I say no shorts in dining room at dinner. Lunch or breakfast are fine.

Hmmm...Carnival says otherwise.:rolleyes:

We saw plenty of shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps in the MDR on the Victory last month. While the that might not be our own personal choice, it's safe to say their presence did not detract at all from our dinner.:D

I know...I laughed when I read the "study" of how someone dresses. I am sure these "studies" were done mostly in private schools where they have the means to a wonderful education. It just so happens that almost all private schools have uniforms. ;)

I wore a uniform right through high school and yes on the 1 day a month where jeans were allowed we acted like animals, but that was more because it was a feeling of freedom. And look how I turned out? :confused:

Granted, on the cruises I've been on, most of the folks in the dining rooms were dressed nicely. No one overdid it, but I'd say most folks were business casual, except on formal nights, where you saw lots of dresses and sportcoats. And, BTW, these cruises were in '08 and '09. In fact, many of the folks at our table on the first cruise dressed up on the last night, even though it wasn't a formal night, so we could all take pictures of each other.

Now, this is strictly my opinion, but I think people ought to make an effort to at least look nice if they're going to eat in the dining rooms. Do you HAVE to? No, but it's a sign of respect to everyone else there. You don't have to dress up to go to church, but most people do it anyway because it's a sign of respect. If I don't feel like putting on slacks and a collared shirt, I can eat in the casual restaurant, on Lido, or in my cabin. I'm not a slob, but I would rather be as casual as possible, but if I'm sitting at a table eating a four-course meal with people I have just met, I would like to make a good impression on them.

And, if for no other reason, I'd do it because you never know who you might run into. On our honeymoon, we cruised out of Tampa, but we ran into the head of security at the community college where my wife went for her first two years of school. On our second cruise, we met some folks from Auburn, AL, and, since we live in Tuscaloosa, we didn't want to be outclassed by those Auburn folks. :) You just never know. You could run into someone who is the CEO of a company where you'd like to work. Remember, the person sitting next to you at your table could be a janitor or a Senator.

A Senator!?:eek:

Surely there must be a rule against that! I would find that more offensive than cargo shorts!:D

While I have no studies to support that theory, there are many studies that show that children behave and perform better in school when they are better dressed. So would it equate in the dining room? I can't say for certain, but my guess is probably. The studies have reapeatedly shown that teaching a child to care about having an appropriate appearance makes a difference in their behavior and grades. That is one of the main reasons that many school systems have moved to uniforms - it produces results.

If only my straight A son knew that he could be an A+ student if only he hadn't worn that t-shirt and shorts to school!

No one said that shorts couldn't be nice and clean. And no one said that they weren't allowed in the MDR on non-elegant evenings. The real issue is whether that is truly appropriate for the dining room - even though the dress code allows it.

Would my family wear shorts out on a Friday night here in SE VA in August, to a casual dining restaurant like Ruby Tuesdays, Red Robin etc? Sure.

I just feel that the MDR on the cruise ship, with the white table cloths, wine glasses and multiple course, more upscale meals (good luck finding escargo, cherrywood smoked duck or strawberry bisque at your local chain restaurant!) calls for at least business casual - which by traditional standards, does not include shorts. For men and boys, it means pants and a collared shirt (tucked in with a belt!) with socks, and bucks, loafers or some other casual (non-athletic) shoes- perhaps a blazer.

Sure - you can wear shorts. Do I care if you do? Heck no. Do I think it is appropriate? Nope. Therefore, my men will be in pants and a collared shirt.

Not really an issue at all. The dress code allows it, regardless of what we all think about it. We stopped in at Emeril's in New Orleans last week and I was wearing shorts. There were some in the dining room wearing suits, some wearing slacks, some wearing dresses, some wearing jeans. The ambiance, food, and service was a step up from the dining rooms on a cruise ship. Emeril's felt that shorts were appropriate and so does Carnival. If I had been turned away at Emeril's I would of accepted their policy and moved on to another restaurant.

I'm also not sure what you mean by traditional standards for dress. What may have been traditional 10,20, or 50 years ago may not apply today. Once upon a time people dressed up to go on airplanes and baseball games. You don't see too many suits and dresses at a ballgame today.

Other than personal opinions, why does it matter to anyone what someone else wears to dinner? Just as the "dress up" crowd might think t-shirts cheapen the experience, the "tshirt" crowd might think the dressing up creates a stuffy atmosphere. WHO CARES what other people wear...wear you favorite Halloween costume as far as I'm concerned.

What's next?

*People with ugly feet have to wear shoes in the pool?

*Those of us with nice big beer belly's must wear shirts on deck and in the pool?

*Maybe really pale people should be required to get a fake tan before the cruise?

*No sports team shirts or hats because someone may not like that team?

*What about requiring all men to shave 1 hour before dinner?

*No babies in the dining room? Who wants to hear some kid cry while being dressed up enjoying a 5-star meal?

I've been in a tux on Carnival and seated next to a kid in a tshirt and shorts.....amazingly my food still tasted excellent.

Every week these threads start and every week I get sucked into them. My question is,,what is so hard to understand about the rules Carnival posts for the dining room? When they post online, in your Capers (or whatever it is called) and probably across half this board (maybe even on page 1 of this thread) what is acceptable, why is this so hard for anyone to comprehend?

ETA: I checked and for sure someone did a cut and paste on post 18. Seems clear to me.

Actually, they are from public school settings.

What puzzles me is why people are so quick to want to break the rules :rolleyes: I seriously doubt carnival makes these "guidelines" up just to make everyone miserable...there are plenty of dining choices and if your really adamant on wearing ONLY tshirts and shorts on your cruise, that is fine as there is the buffet...I look at it as it's written there for a reason and if they didnt want you to follow the "guidelines" they would have omitted them from their website.

just my 2cents

Dining Room Dress Requirements

Most evenings are Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below and pertain to children as well.

For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Dining Room - Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo3">Gentlemen: sport slacks; khakis; jeans (no cut-offs); dress shorts (long); collared sport shirts
  • Ladies: casual dresses; casual skirts; casual pants; blouses; summer dresses; Capri pants; dress shorts; jeans (no cut-offs)

Not permitted in the dining room: gym shorts; basketball shorts; beach flip-flops; bathing suit attire; cut-off jeans; sleeveless shirts for men; baseball hats.

Dining Room - Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l5 level1 lfo6">Gentlemen: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to bring suits and ties or tuxedos.
  • Ladies: cocktail dresses; pantsuits; elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to bring evening gowns.

Not permitted in the dining room: shorts; T-shirts; beach flip-flops; bathing suit attire; jeans; cut-off jeans; sleeveless shirts for men; sportswear; baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Evenings

The length of the cruise determines the number of Cruise Elegant evenings in the Dining Room. The first Cruise Elegant evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise; the second Cruise Elegant evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd day prior to the end of the cruise, schedules permitting.

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l3 level1 lfo9">1-day cruise: none <LI class=MsoNormal style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l3 level1 lfo9">2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

What puzzles me is why people are so quick to want to break the rules :rolleyes: I seriously doubt carnival makes these "guidelines" up just to make everyone miserable...there are plenty of dining choices and if your really adamant on wearing ONLY tshirts and shorts on your cruise, that is fine as there is the buffet...I look at it as it's written there for a reason and if they didnt want you to follow the "guidelines" they would have omitted them from their website.

just my 2cents

Nobody would be breaking any rules if they wore shorts in the MDR...........

I don't buy that it doesn't bother you what other people wear otherwise you wouldn't have posted so negativley about it;) Nor would you have mentioned you were raised better;)

Good luck controlling your family........

Really, truly, I could care less what people wear - I just happen to enjoy a good debate on a thread and this is a topic that is near and dear to my heart as it is my DH who gets his shorts in a knot when he sees men in shorts and baseball caps in the MDR. I am always laughing at him, telling him to let it go. As long as you aren't barfing your alcohol up at the table, exposing ugly body parts, screaming in my ear, or spitting in my food, I can eat and enjoy my family without regard to what you or yours is doing.

And no, I was not raised better, I was raised to know better....to me that is a distinction. I put my pants/skirt on the same way as everyone else. I was simply taught a way to dress which is always appropriate in whatever circles you travel. Shorts have their place - the movies, the golf course, the ballfield, the Lido deck...just not the MDR at dinner.

And no, I was not raised better, I was raised to know better....to me that is a distinction. I put my pants/skirt on the same way as everyone else. I was simply taught a way to dress which is always appropriate in whatever circles you travel. Shorts have their place - the movies, the golf course, the ballfield, the Lido deck...just not the MDR at dinner.

You can word it anyway you like.........it still spells out "insult":rolleyes:

Taught:confused: Or told:D:p Thank god for different circles........

I can't remember when I was taught how to dress.......I know I learned to tie my shoes when I was 4 though.........

I just use common sense now.........

Take the challenge!! All of those who feel that I am "undressed" or not up to your dress standard in the MDR, please feel free to "rent" me any kind of fancy smancey clothes that you care to spend your blue dollar cash on.

Beware I could be waving three fingers at you and telling you to read between the lines

You can word it anyway you like.........it still spells out "insult":rolleyes:

Taught:confused: Or told:D:p Thank god for different circles........

I can't remember when I was taught how to dress.......I know I learned to tie my shoes when I was 4 though.........

I just use common sense now.........

Just curious - an no insult/prying intended - but do you got to church/place of worship? Did you as a child? Did you wear whatever you wanted? Or did mom/dad say, "please put on your nice pants and new shirt - today is church."

If you want to call that being told, it is no different than anything else we parents do when we direct our kids...they learn by being told what is and what isn't appropriate.

I assume you would agree with me that there are times and places for certain clothing - for example, you would not wear jeans to a 6 pm candlelight church wedding? And you wouldn't wear a tux to the beach? These are obvious. So what we are really disagreeing over here is whether a more subtle distinction can/should be made. For example, there is a time and place for business casual - but court, appearing before a judge is not it. I simply feel that the MDR warrants business casual, you do not.

Just curious - an no insult/prying intended - but do you got to church/place of worship? Did you as a child? Did you wear whatever you wanted? Or did mom/dad say, "please put on your nice pants and new shirt - today is church."

If you want to call that being told, it is no different than anything else we parents do when we direct our kids...they learn by being told what is and what isn't appropriate.

I agree with you on that...like I said in a previous post. We will always dress up for elegant night and never wear shorts in the dining room.

But when you are at church do you make judgment on people who might be wearing jeans instead of slacks? Everyone has their preference...whatever it may be.

My point is, I don't care what other people are wearing. No matter what other people wear, it's not going to "influence" my children to dress a certain way. (My toddler will be wearing a tux on our upcoming cruise and has always been dressed up for dinner)

Excellent point! Yes when I was a child (catholic church ugh) we were told to clean up for church put our sunday best on......because that is what was appropriate at that church back then...........

Fast forward..........we now attend Calvery Chapel out here in So Cal......and we wear jeans, shorts etc (very casual)...........this is what this church allows.........

I always wear what is appropriate..........

I guess I just don't understand.....the point of going to church is to worship God, not because you got a nice outfit and want to show it off. The days are approaching my friends, when all the cruise lines are going to have anytime dining. Carnival is even experimenting with it as we speak. And you know what that means huh? You can wear whatever you want. I am old enough and educated enough to know how to dress. I dress to please myself not some stranger that I could really care less about. I am old enough to know what is right and what is wrong, I am educated. Sure I shop at Walmart, who doesn't these days. But I know when I lay my head down to sleep at night, the angels are smiling over me because I was a good girl and did not judge anyone tonight in the MDR because of what they wore. I hope all of those who are living in those glass houses don't ever experience an earthquake, a natural act of god, cause when you come outta those houses and take off those rosey glasses that you have perched on that upwardly tilted nose, Reality is gonna rock your world.

Archived