Kind of a weird question about clouds...

ntengwall

I would guess it has something to do with it generally being more humid in the Caribbean than in some of our hometowns.

On most of the islands rain showers happen on a fairly frequent basis

because of this. You do have a lot of nice warm ocean water being evaporated into the atmosphere all day long.

Catilope--that's true but then why aren't they closer here in Maryland during the summer when we are out on a boat? I tried to google it but came up with nothing lol

maybe just being closer to a larger land mass has something to do with the difference up here, along with a greater difference and fluctuation in air/water temps, humidity, the gulf stream, etc. I think a lot goes into this "recipe".

I think we need a meteorologist or climatologist to enlighten us!

There is not difference to clouds in the Caribbean to any other part of the world.

The different types of Cloud formations are exactly the same in various parts of the world

Cumulus, Stratus or Cirrus are the same height in Baltimore, London or even Istambul.

The reason you think the clouds are lower is probably due to such things as less pollution in the area compared to big cities, or even an optical illusion

Here is a link to some weather information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cloud_types

Hope it helps

I think it's mainly an optical illusion. When one is in a normal terrestial setting the horizon is blocked by trees, hills, buildings, etc. and even if the horizon is clear it's going to be only about three miles away. On a ship at sea from the upper sun deck the horizon is clear all around and may be up to 15 miles away. I think this difference in perspective is what makes the clouds appear lower.

There is not difference to clouds in the Caribbean to any other part of the world.

The different types of Cloud formations are exactly the same in various parts of the world

Cumulus, Stratus or Cirrus are the same height in Baltimore, London or even Istambul.

The reason you think the clouds are lower is probably due to such things as less pollution in the area compared to big cities, or even an optical illusion

Totally wrong, but since your source is Wikipedia you're not to blame. Clouds form when the air temperature falls below the level required to support water as a vapor. Humidity is higher, so water vapor begins to condense at a higher temperature. The cloud base will therefore be lower. When condensation occurs at ground level it's called fog. You can get stratus at 1,000' or cumulus at 5,000'.

Air temperature falls at a predictable rate as you gain altitude. So depending on the humidity, you can get cumulus clouds forming at a range of altitudes - or not at all.

Archived