Maya Key or Tabyana?

ash115

On the way back, they put a tip jar in the boat. Some people contributed and others did not. No one else had their hand out for a tip.

As far as crowds go, the Valor was the only ship in port and they had around 75 guests on the excursion seperated into the time groups. There would be no way for them to transfer 400 people to the island, so I don't think that information was correct.

We're on the Valor in June, already booked this excursion. I have a couple questions for you ... on the buffet, do you recall seeing any vegetarian (for my DD, 19)? Also, were the bugs a problem? The 6 of us are so excited to go here!

What I had from the buffet was tossed salad, chicken, fish, and cooked plantains. There were maybe a couple of other items that I did not try. It was fairly limited. There was nothing that my son would eat. At the bar they had other items available that you had to pay for. I don't recall what was there other than an empanada, and maybe a hotdog. Again there was nothing for my son, not ever chips or pretzels. We brought some granola bars with us, and that was what he ate. They put out ice water and ice tea to drink.

We saw many people on the ship with red marks after Roatan. My son got 3 bites and my wife and I did not get any. We did not use bug spray.

Hi Everyone

Just off the valor last week and went to Maya Key and had a WONDERFUL time. There is no way 300 people would FIT on that island. Sixty $ is more than reasonable for what you get and btw what you thought were plaintains were actually bananas (I asked the cook). It was an awesome day and I will go back:)

Brenda

PS

Just FYI While George is the lover, so is his wife,girlfriend or cage mate Sylvia but BEWARE she has a "thing" for shorts, she loves to grab the edges and tug them down!!! I had to pry her hands loose a couple of times to keep my pants on!!!

B

There would be no way for them to transfer 400 people to the island, so I don't think that information was correct.

The information came directly from Cindy the manager in an email response, she did say 300 not 400 not that it matters,,, this wasnt something I just made up... I think she would know how many people she has an agreement with Carnival for. :confused:

Just got off the Valor with Brenda (hi Brenda!) and we took a cab to the Mayan Princess at Tabyana Beach with our friends (1 other couple). It cost us $80/round trip - $20 each. They originally wanted $200 and we said no thanks. Then, miraculously, the price dropped to $80. Be SURE to reiterate the cost so there are no surprises! We said it a few times in the cab so it was very clear to the driver. We paid when we got back to the port and gave him a $20 tip - not necessary, but we liked the guy. His name was Oscar. The hotel cost us $10 each to use their facilities and they gave us a blue wristband. Oscar walked us into the hotel and even to the beach area to be sure we got all set up with chairs in the front. It was pretty empty and very nice! The pool temp was too warm for me, but the ocean was perfect! We loved it there and are looking into hotels there.

There were no extra $ for an umbrella. They don't pack you in like sardines on the beach. We had a good 20 ft. from our front row chairs to the water. Further down the beach, to the left looking at the water were the Carnival excursion people. They were packed in - rows and rows of them! My husband took the 5 minute walk down there to snorkel (look for the guy in the kayak directing people where to snorkel). It's right by the Carnival people. I don't know what they charge for their excursion, but I'm sure it's more than the $30 we each paid. He says it was the best snorkeling he's ever done. We've been to Hawaii many times, Cabo and Tahiti, so I should have listened to him and went with him. I chose to stay at the resort and enjoy a few drinks with my girlfriend and swim without the crowds.

Also, we brought our own masks and always do on vacation! If you like to snorkel, I recommend bringing your own mask. The ones they give you are cheap and used by others...They also don't have the bubbles on the end, so water just pours in. Not a good thing.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise!

Phyllis from San Diego

Hi Phyllis!!!

I forgot to mention, you can rent snorkel gear for like 10$ or take your own and snorkel off the end of the pier. They also have a man that stays right there with you and offers instruction if you need it. Also, if you notice, alot of the cruise lines will not allow diebetics to snorkel and Maya Key does not have that restriction since someone is in close proximity(and in the water) to you all the time. Also, PJ, was not accusing anything was thinking Cindy made a typo and maybe meant 100 people:)

Brenda

We are going to Infinity Bay Resort with Cinthia @ Roatan Culture Tours( $40pp). A friend that is buying propery on Roatan recommended Cinthia. My selling point was use of their beautiful pool and not a lot of people. After a day in salt water ,only one thing is better then cooling off in a pool is COLD BEER!

We ended up doing Maya Kay through Carnival and glad we did. We were the only Carnival ship at port. 30 people per group...total of 90 people. We had a great spot on the beach under a palm tree. The snorkeling was the best we have ever done! Great reef that drops off 50 feet and super clear water.

Archived