Should you pre-book CCL shore excursions?

blake_

I am going to eastern carribean in feb, carnival valor. A lot of shore excursions on the website are "limited" capacity. Do these realistically fill up before the cruise or on the first day.. i.e. should I book online if i really want to do something?

I dont like the 25% cancellation fee carnival charges if booked online.

If you have your heart set on something, do it, but I would also consider booking independent tours. They usually give youa better experience at a much cheaper price. Check out the Ports of Call forum for the particular port you want and see what's available.

I am going to eastern carribean in feb, carnival valor. A lot of shore excursions on the website are "limited" capacity. Do these realistically fill up before the cruise or on the first day.. i.e. should I book online if i really want to do something?

I dont like the 25% cancellation fee carnival charges if booked online.

The 25% cancellation fee also applies if you book onboard ship.

Here is the official policy

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Shore_Excursions_FAQs/shore_ex_faq_CancelOrder.aspx

You may cancel all or part of a shore excursion order online at any time prior to the cut-off date. Simply click “modify my shore excursion orders” at the bottom of the itinerary box on the My Reservation page. You will be automatically issued a full refund to the credit card that was used to pay for the shore excursion order. Please allow 3-5 business days for the credit to post to your account. No changes can be made within the cut-off window. If you need to make changes after the cut-off date, you must wait until sailing and see the Shore Excursion Manager onboard. In the event of a cruise booking cancellation within the cut-off window, a full refund will be automatically posted to the credit card used to pay for the order.

If the designated contact person on a shore excursion order cancels their cruise booking and the remaining guests who are sailing would like to retain the shore excursion order, a new contact person needs to be assigned. If a designated contact person cancels and does not reassign the responsibility, the associated shore excursion orders will be automatically canceled and payment will be refunded.

Once you are onboard the ship, your cancellations are subject to a 25% cancellation charge. However, all shore excursion orders are non-refundable within 24 hours of arrival in port. A refund, less any applicable cancellation charges, will be applied to the designated contact person’s sail and sign account. Carnival will only offer shipboard credit for shore excursion order refunds. Please note; any credit not utilized by the end of your cruise will be refunded via check to the order’s designated contact person on the morning of debarkation.

We're traveling Western Carib. on the Valor in Feb. and booked two of our excursions on-line. Both were listed as having limited capacity and we didn't want to chance missing out. After booking, they put it right into the itinerary listing on the on-line reservations page. On past cruises, the best time slots seemed to sell out fast. I'm traveling with my 80 year old Mom so it was important that we got excursions she was comfortable with. I've read alot about booking independently but they really drill into you on the ship about not doing this. It's worth the few extra dollars to us to book through Carnival and know that if something comes up, they'll wait for us. Have a great cruise! ~~~~~ Linda

I wouldn't book shore excursions on line far advance as you do not know the wether conditions for the day. True, some will be cancelled if weather is bad but there are some that will not be cancel, such as why book a beach break excursion because if it is raining you will not get a refund and going to the beach is not fun in storms and rain.

Archived