Please Help ~ Zaandam Room 2642 question

DAngel799

We had a guarantee on the Zaandam for an EE on the Dolphin Deck, but we said we would take an upgrade. None of the EE rooms have an obstructed or partially obstructed view. Well, we got a room assignment on the main deck for room DA2642, and the ship plan says some of the DA rooms do have a partially obstructed view. Now, we told them when we booked our guarantee we did not want an obstructed view. We were always told if you got an upgrade it was to a better room. Now, I'll have fun on our trip no matter what, but I don't want to feel HA cheated us either. Any advice or information will be most appreciated. Thank you so much. It would really be super great to hear this room is not partially or completely obstructed, and then I can go to sleep. :D

I haven't been on the Zaandam, so hopefully someone else will chime in with more direct knowledge.

I can't imagine what would be blocking your view on the Main Deck. While some in the far forward or far aft cabins may be looking at the mooring lines while in port, I can't see why 2642 would have any problems.

We've been on Main Deck before (and on the deck below it a couple of times) on other ships. We have been 'looking' under the pier at low tide in Alaska (completely different view at high tide, of course), and we been looking at the metal walkways of dock workers out our windows before while in port. At sea, there was no obstruction whatsoever.

and the ship plan says some of the DA rooms do have a partially obstructed view.
Where do you see that? It's the DDs on the Lower Promenade that are partially obstructed. I can't find any DAs on the Zaandam diagram that have the "Partial sea view" triangle symbol. 2642 has a circle, which means it's a triple.

There are no obstructed views on the main deck. The "+" symbol next to your cabin number means it is a connecting cabin. According to HAL's guarantee rules this is an upgrade and a perfectly good one.

Have a great cruise!

jtl513, you asked where I got this idea. Well, it was on HAL's Web Site with the deck plans for the Zaandam on page 1. It says this,

"Large Ocean-view Staterooms

Category C, D, DA, DD (partial sea views), E, EE, F, FF, G ( may have portholes instead of windows), H ( portholes instead of windows), HH ( fully obstructed views)"

Then I go to deck 2 to look at the deck plan, and they don't have the triangle symbol for partially obstructed views so I am sure you guys are right.

Thank you all for your help. :)

jtl513, you asked where I got this idea. Well, it was on HAL's Web Site with the deck plans for the Zaandam on page 1. It says this,

"Large Ocean-view Staterooms

Category C, D, DA, DD (partial sea views), E, EE, F, FF, G ( may have portholes instead of windows), H ( portholes instead of windows), HH ( fully obstructed views)"

Then I go to deck 2 to look at the deck plan, and they don't have the triangle symbol for partially obstructed views so I am sure you guys are right.

Thank you all for your help. :)

Yes, the " (partial sea views), " applies only to the DD that precedes it, just as the other qualifiers in parentheses apply only to G, H, or HH.

However - you could have been upgraded to DD from an EE, so next time if you definitely don't want a partial view you should book at least a DA to begin with.

We have intentionally booked DD (partial views) on two ships, and we think they are a good deal for the price. The view is unobstructed looking straight out, and only blocked if you're looking either left or right (depending on the location).

Thank you for explaining, and for the information. That is much easier to understand, and I will defiantly do that in the future. I usually pick a room to avoid this anxiety. Now, I can finally go to sleep. Nap time. :D

Archived