Tattoo shop on board?

Hot4acruise

Instead of having a spot on a specific ship, consider having a portable rig that can be set up almost anywhere.

That way you can travel from ship to ship, invite the celebrity tattoo artist to use the portable rig.

This way you don't have a permanent space issue, and can move from ship to ship following the customer base.

That is of course if you can get past all the health code issues that will be raised. My initial thought is you will meet extreme resistance to anything that draws blood from a passenger.

Best of luck in your endeavor.

How would a brand new tatoo fair in the ocean and sun of most of the tropical ports? would the new owner have to avoid sea water and sunshine for the rest of the cruise? (I am picturing one of those low back tatoo's and thinking that doing an excurion following that would really hurt. Wouldn't most people want to relax, painfree on their cruises? What if someone got an infections or had a bad reaction to the ink,needles,process, etc. and Health codes are something you would have to look into. I wouldn't care if one was on board, I am just playing devils advocate for you:) Good luck in your endeavors.

Good point. I think it's the LIABILITY for possible infections/negative reactions that would be a huge issue! New tattoo, a few drinks, swimming in the ship's pool or at a beach, sunburn, etc. Huge insurance premiums! One bad reaction, no compensation from the on-board shop, and one poster gets on a Board like this one to complain, and the word spreads very quickly. Cost of attorney for contract. Cost of one cabin per week (let's say $1000) could equal $52,000 per year just for rented space. Tattoos have been popular for many years, and it's reasons like the ones listed that there are no permanent tattoo shops on any ship. I don't think any cruise line would ever consider something like this, and I'm thinking that yours definitely wouldn't be the first offer. I know I've rained on your parade, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

and it still looks doable. Serious reactions are few and far between, and then mostly only in people who color their hair darker shades because ink and dark dye both have high iron levels. What does have a high reaction level is botox and restylyne, both which are readily available in the spa's.....even the tooth whitening treatments can cause serious reactions. Life is a risk. For thousands of years society has has found the risk acceptable. There is a chance that a harsh wave could cause a slip of the needle, unlikely, but any artist worth a damn has pretty quick reflexes.....people twitch and jump a lot. But even if it does happen that is easily corrected by any professional. The sun is harsh on new tats, but giving out packets of good sunscreen and zinc oxide can go a long way to prevent fading. I think that long sea days, combined with a bit of boredom, can get the people in :)

and it still looks doable. Serious reactions are few and far between, and then mostly only in people who color their hair darker shades because ink and dark dye both have high iron levels. What does have a high reaction level is botox and restylyne, both which are readily available in the spa's.....even the tooth whitening treatments can cause serious reactions. Life is a risk. For thousands of years society has has found the risk acceptable. There is a chance that a harsh wave could cause a slip of the needle, unlikely, but any artist worth a damn has pretty quick reflexes.....people twitch and jump a lot. But even if it does happen that is easily corrected by any professional. The sun is harsh on new tats, but giving out packets of good sunscreen and zinc oxide can go a long way to prevent fading. I think that long sea days, combined with a bit of boredom, can get the people in :)

Well, please let us know which cruise line has accepted your proposal. Also, I've noticed that you never mentioned anything about attorney contract fees, rental space fees, Health Code issues, and liability insurance. Please advise. Thanks.

I have negotiated a few of these vendor contracts, and read many hundreds of them.

Here are some of the issues you will need to consider:

The cruise line will charge you a hefty monthly fee for the single pax cabin required for your employee.

You must also pay for all meals and health insurance for your employee.

And of course you must pay the employee's salary and transportation costs.

You will be required to have liability insurance; $1 Million per client is the going standard.

You will be required to provide all equipment and service it. You pay transportation.

You will be required to provide all furniture and signage. You pay transportation.

The cruise line will take between 40% and 60% or your revenue as "rent".

You need to guarantee a minimum revenue number. If you don't reach that number, you have to pay the cruise line their guaranteed cut anyway.

Your employee will sign on as a regular crew member, and will have safety and other crew duties in addtion to whatever you are paying him to do.

Your employee must pass a drug test to be allowed onboard. He will be given random drug and alcohol tests during his stay onboard.

If it helps at all, I managed three ships that offered the "ink tattoos". They were not popular and the concessionaire folded after one season.

I have negotiated a few of these vendor contracts, and read many hundreds of them.

The cruise line will charge you a hefty monthly fee for the single pax cabin required for your employee.

You will be required to have liability insurance; $1 Million per client is the going standard.

You will be required to provide all equipment and service it. You pay transportation.

You will be required to provide all furniture and signage. You pay transportation.

You need to guarantee a minimum revenue number. If you don't reach that number, you have to pay the cruise line their guaranteed cut anyway.

Your employee will sign on as a regular crew member, and will have safety and other crew duties in addtion to whatever you are paying him to do.

Your employee must pass a drug test to be allowed onboard. He will be given random drug and alcohol tests during his stay onboard.

If it helps at all, I managed three ships that offered the "ink tattoos". They were not popular and the concessionaire folded after one season.

Best reply I've seen! I was just kind of "guessing", but thanks for giving the total picture. I'm not anti-tatoo (personally, two of my kids have small ones, but I'd never have one),

but it's just not appropriate on a cruise ship, where people cruise for 3+ days and then leave. Just my thoughts. Thanks for your post.

To hell with that. Too many hoops to jump through :eek:

Hope you have good insurance, a good lawyer, and lots of $$$.... I sense a TON of lawsuits coming your way! :D:D:D:D

I already said it's not worth doing, but why would there be ANY lawsuits?

Besides the fact that every other a-hole you walk past is thinking about who to sue? If injecting botulism into peoples faces, sticking accupuncture needles into peoples bodies, arranging diving, zipline, atv and "booze cruise" tours don't result in tons of lawsuits who would a good, clean sterile and professionaly ran tattoo shop be a special liability?

Aside from the detailed logistical issues which have been brought up, I still believe there may be a market for your idea. It isn't going to fly on every cruise, or become a fixture on cruise lines, but it might have potential on specialty cruises that cater to specific demographic groups. Think especially spring break, singles, GLBTQ, etc. All prime markets for tattoo, piercing, body mod. ALL business endeavors have "too many hoops" to jump through, and many successful ones are labelled crazy from the get-go. I'm not saying it will work, but I would also worry about an entrepreneur who gives up too easily. Do a little more research and try to run some numbers. Remember, even though you'll be paying a royalty to the cruise line, you'll also be able to charge premium rates, especially if you have a well-known tat artist. You might also look at the possibility of pre-booking many appointments before sailing. I still see a lot of potential problems, but I don't think you have all the info needed yet to make an informed business decision.

Aside from the detailed logistical issues which have been brought up, I still believe there may be a market for your idea. It isn't going to fly on every cruise, or become a fixture on cruise lines, but it might have potential on specialty cruises that cater to specific demographic groups. Think especially spring break, singles, GLBTQ, etc. All prime markets for tattoo, piercing, body mod. ALL business endeavors have "too many hoops" to jump through, and many successful ones are labelled crazy from the get-go. I'm not saying it will work, but I would also worry about an entrepreneur who gives up too easily. Do a little more research and try to run some numbers. Remember, even though you'll be paying a royalty to the cruise line, you'll also be able to charge premium rates, especially if you have a well-known tat artist. You might also look at the possibility of pre-booking many appointments before sailing. I still see a lot of potential problems, but I don't think you have all the info needed yet to make an informed business decision.

I think I'll try to get ahold of Rachael from BMEzine. She's a genius, Lodgenet was her idea, and see what she thinks. The start up money isn't a problem and she has a great head for business. I just am not too thrilled about charging the kind of money that would be required to make a go of it. UNLESS I could rotate out some really great artists. back on board :D

I think I'll try to get ahold of Rachael from BMEzine. She's a genius, Lodgenet was her idea, and see what she thinks. The start up money isn't a problem and she has a great head for business. I just am not too thrilled about charging the kind of money that would be required to make a go of it. UNLESS I could rotate out some really great artists. back on board :D

What people are willing to pay should be the concern. People routinely pay for things beyond what they really need or can reasonably afford. If it makes them happy and they have the means to pay for it, we'd be failures as business people to not provide and profit from the service. Nobody needs a tattoo, or a $400 Titanium driver, or a flat screen TV, or a cruise. . . If the want, desire, and money is there, there is nothing unethical about charging high prices especially given the context of doing it on a cruise ship.

What people are willing to pay should be the concern. People routinely pay for things beyond what they really need or can reasonably afford. If it makes them happy and they have the means to pay for it, we'd be failures as business people to not provide and profit from the service. Nobody needs a tattoo, or a $400 Titanium driver, or a flat screen TV, or a cruise. . . If the want, desire, and money is there, there is nothing unethical about charging high prices especially given the context of doing it on a cruise ship.

I wish I had that mindset. I'd be bigger than Bill Gates. ;)

• 3 months later...

My boyfriend and I are tattoo and piercing artists and I have been searching for a way for us to work and travel, and I want to work on a cruise ship VERY VERY much. The only other alternative I can come up with is me belly-dancing and him bartending, and we have worked too long and hard to get where we are to give that up now, even if it would only be for a year or so.

We have over 10 years experience between the two of us, and he has won awards for his work. We are professionals and we take our jobs seriously.

We have worked in the UK where the health laws are pretty strict, and I am pedantic as all hell, so dealing with health laws onboard would be no problem for us.

So far I haven't found any ship that offers the service, however I have mentioned the idea to a few people and everyone agrees that it is an awesome idea - tattooing has become so popular these days that even the most unlikely people are getting them, so I really think that this is a viable option.

As far as care is concerned, as long as the tattoo is not soaked it can be taken care of quite easily (a bit of sun definitely won't kill it, even during the sensitive healing process), and then we are also there to check it whenever the client wants a professional opinion.

Cost - every shop onboard has to make a decent amount of money for it to be viable for them to have the a business running onboard, and people on holiday pay for luxuries that they wouldn't normally pay for. Every shop has overheads, but they still make money...

I say again, please don't give up on the idea - someone has to break ground.

Granted, there are some legal issues you'd have to sort out but perhaps it could still work.

As far as water and sun exposure, would it be possible to offer tat services on cruises that go to cold places and perhaps cater to younger, more adventuresome, perhaps hipper demographics? I am thinking expedition ships, etc.

Good luck!

Thank everybody for all their advice. I'm going to try to get the ball rolling. I have already designed a platform to tattoo on that would stay steady even if the ship lurched. I would hire an artist and a body piercer and they could share a cabin. I think that I could pre-book enough appointments that the customer base would be there. Also, I think some of the big name artists would be interested in doing guest stints in the shop. They have a hugh following and have waiting lists a month long. Wish me luck, I'm writing my first letter tonight ;)

Umm.. I'm not sure how Carnival would feel about you running a business out of one of their cabins. Liability? How would you insure that? I'd check with them first before you start "booking" people.

How would a brand new tatoo fair in the ocean and sun of most of the tropical ports? would the new owner have to avoid sea water and sunshine for the rest of the cruise? (I am picturing one of those low back tatoo's and thinking that doing an excurion following that would really hurt. Wouldn't most people want to relax, painfree on their cruises? What if someone got an infections or had a bad reaction to the ink,needles,process, etc. and Health codes are something you would have to look into. I wouldn't care if one was on board, I am just playing devils advocate for you:) Good luck in your endeavors.

I got one down the shore. If you keep it covered your fine! I even went into the ocean and was fine. That was about 8 years ago and it still looks good. They don't hurt like people think they do! After it's done it throbs for a bit and there is a little stinging but by the next day it's really no big deal! I have a few and the one on my back (NOT a lower back "tramp stamp") is quite large and it was fine by day two until my bro in law thought he was slapping the other side as a joke and slapped the new tattoo... that did bring a tear to my eye :eek:. I think there would definately be a market for it. It would not be for the more conservative cruiser but you would be surprosed by some of the people that get inked. NO ONE would believe I have them. I don't act or look like the stereo typical inked person. When people find out I have them they are quiet surprised! I have 3 and they all can and for the most part usually are covered. Until I put on a bikini.

• 2 years later...

Archived