Just Back from The Glory - ask your ?'s

John&John

Just back from the Western Caribbean on the Glory and the ship is in fine shape after coming out of dry dock.

Over all cruise was quite enjoyable (but it's always what one makes it) but I have to say the food in the MDR seems to have gone downhill since our last two cruises on the Valor and Victory.

A few dining room food comments:

• Lobster Tail was absolutely terrific. Bigger than last cruise, tender, juicy, and cooked perfectly.
  • Filet Mignon* - four of us had it and 2 of us had rubber and the 2 were excellent. All medium rare.
  • Rack of Lamb* - disappointing and flavorless. Supposed garlic herb marinated and mustard encrusted. Bland, even with salt.
  • Jerked Pork Loin* - gray, flavorless, bland. No jerk flavoring noticed.
  • West Indian Roasted Pumpkin Soup* - was just OK
  • Chateaubriand* was terrible. It was not very tender and just didn't taste great.

• Bitter and Blanc, melting cake, escargot, all fish entrees, creme brulee, and several other dishes were very good to excellent.
  • Lobster Bisque* - the lobster must have ran really fast through this bisque as it had absolutely no hint of lobster or any seafood at all. If I had to guess what it was I would have guessed a combination of chicken stock and tomato soup.
  • Grand Marnier Souffle was good, but lacked any Grand Marnier or orange flavor.

*These items were all great on our past two cruises in 2008 and 2009.

Buffet food was fine and exactly what one should expect.

Fish and Chips - excellent, deli excellent, Mongolian Grill - excellent!

Chocolate Buffet was OK but did not seem as grand or have as much variety as on the Valor in 2008.

Mexican late night buffet (11:30 PM) was in the capers for 2 evenings but according the the staff at the buffet it was just being held the first night it was listed. Apparently it was moved along with the deck party to help make up for no main show that evening and stayed listed in the fine print of the next days caper.

Although we didn't eat anything the buffet was set up on one side of the main buffet and was very nice.

We missed Grand Cayman due to sea conditions and therefore had 2 less main shows due to the entertainers not being able to board. Marcus Anthony (King of that Sweet Soul Music) and I think a juggler act were omitted.

Comedy Club was moved into the main show lounge one night and the next night and I quote:

Main Show - Here's the Amber Palace Lineup for Tonight!

• 7:45 PM Jackpot Bingo
  • 8:15 PM Extreme Battle of the Sexes Challenge
  • 10:00 PM Laser Tag (fees Apply)

The other production shows were all very good.

We had an enjoyable (part of) day at Mahogany Beach. The Magical Flying Chair now costs $8. Did not think it was worth it unless there was some reason you couldn't walk there.

There was something in the water at Mahogany Beach that could have been microscopic "jelly fish" or something that caused little tiny "stings". We went swimming a few times and then after a while it just wasn't worth the stings. We did not have any residual effects from the "stings." We went back to the empty ship and enjoyed the pools, etc.

I posted another thread on Past Guest and Fun Farewell Party - here

We had some issues with a shore excursion and in order to address them you have to plan your time around when the shore excursion desk is opened (which is very limited). It's very inconvenient and you have to go back time and time again.

Packed 2 (1.5 l) bottles of wine in one piece of checked luggage and a 3L box of wine in another. No problem in Miami.

No corkage fees either.

Going through security with carry on luggage was another story. We were questioned about having 2 bottles of wine in 2 carry on bags and had to "show them" there were 4 of us for the 4 bottles. We heard some tales that people had their beer and other alcohol and excess wine "taken" during carry on screening.

Oh, Serenity was very nice but also very popular and there were no kids in sight there.

The staff did a terrific job of keeping the adult only pool and spas adult only.

We all had a very nice week aboard the Glory and "stuff" happens but my main concern is the quality and consistency of the dining room food which is very important to me.

I am hoping that there is some reason that this experience is an isolated one. I plan on posting a comment on John Heald's blog regarding this concern.

Unfortunately, our questionnaires never made it to the dining room and got packed with all the other papers.

I'll attempt to answer questions....

Thanks for the write up will be on the Glory in DEC. Looks like I'll have to bring along a bottle of Heinz ketchup:D

How was the Mongolian grill and the Pizza stand ? wife wants to know:rolleyes:

The Chocolate buffet going down hill. Hope it was not as bad as it was on our 08 Destiny cruise.

Thanks for the info on the past guest party and the fun farewell party unless the pg party start getting some better reviews might skip it.

The Serenity area how windy is it

Paul

285 days to go

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the sub-par food; indeed, let's hope it's an isolated incident.

My question is as follows; I think the Glory just came out of 2 weeks in dry dock, did you notice a lot of refurbishments and/or upgrades? Just trying to decide between the Glory and Valor Nov 28th cruise.

8$ for the flying chair?!?! Ouch, did not take them long to raise the prices.

Thank you for your feedback.

Richard

Thanks for the write up will be on the Glory in DEC. Looks like I'll have to bring along a bottle of Heinz ketchup:D

How was the Mongolian grill and the Pizza stand ? wife wants to know:rolleyes:

The Chocolate buffet going down hill. Hope it was not as bad as it was on our 08 Destiny cruise.

Thanks for the info on the past guest party and the fun farewell party unless the pg party start getting some better reviews might skip it.

The Serenity area how windy is it

Paul

285 days to go

The Mongolian Grill was very good. 2 meat choices daily and 1 seafood.

One day was chicken, pork, or mussels and clams. Another beef, chicken or squid.

We only had the Chevre pizza with the goat cheese and mushrooms. It did not disappoint.

Just order lots of lobster tails!!!!! :D Hopefully the food will improve!

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the sub-par food; indeed, let's hope it's an isolated incident.

My question is as follows; I think the Glory just came out of 2 weeks in dry dock, did you notice a lot of refurbishments and/or upgrades? Just trying to decide between the Glory and Valor Nov 28th cruise.

8$ for the flying chair?!?! Ouch, did not take them long to raise the prices.

Thank you for your feedback.

Richard

They added the Serenity deck which I do not believe the Valor has and also added the Seaside theater (which Valor does have).

The Decor on the Glory is subdued and we liked the decor on the Valor better even though those gold eagles seem to outnumber the passengers! :D

Our stateroom had new carpeting and there was alot of new carpeting around the ship.

I think they also added O 2 for teens.

Great info John ...

We sail on April 4 and this has been invaluable.

Can you tell me a little about the shops onboard? Anything unusual there or pretty much the same old same old?

Also, did you find the staff to be amiable for the most part? Any lack of service you noted?

Room service menu been changed? Less amount of items available for delv? Full breakfast available in cabin?

Great info John ...

We sail on April 4 and this has been invaluable.

Can you tell me a little about the shops onboard? Anything unusual there or pretty much the same old same old?

Also, did you find the staff to be amiable for the most part? Any lack of service you noted?

Room service menu been changed? Less amount of items available for delv? Full breakfast available in cabin?

Didn't really visit the shops with any sincerity...sorry.

The staff were all great. A few just polite, but most were very friendly and helpful. Waiters did a great job but were noticeably somewhat overwhelmed (I thought).

Room service menu seems to be the same as well as the breakfast service which is NOT a full breakfast but a Continental Breakfast. Both menus can be viewed here.

I forgot to mention the Eggs Benedict in the Dining Room for breakfast. I ate it every day! :D

Well, one day I had smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel and 1 Egg Benedict.

The first day it was really good, the eggs were cooked properly.

The second day the eggs were overcooked, but not hard cooked.

The third through the last day I ordered it with Hollandaise on the side only and the poached eggs were cooked perfectly. Worked like a charm.

I would like to thank anyone who suggested this on CC.

We did have one waiter who kept shaking his head and muttering not understanding why I wanted it on the side only (instead of just additional sauce), but he ordered it and served it as requested!

Thanks for your comments.

What are the production shows?

Hopefully something we have not seen before as we keep seeing the same ones over and over. For example have now seen Ticket to Ride 4x.

Livin' in America (which we saw before) and Just Rock which was quite good and was kind of like the best of rock and roll though the years type of thing.

The Illusionist show seemed to be more of a production show than in the past and we enjoyed it. JUSTIN ILLUSION...

I had the same experience with the lamb, Chateaubriand and lobster bisque on Inspiration. Of couse, got flamed by the cheerleaders for saying so. Our lobster was minuscule but the shrimp with it was wonderful.

The lobster on the Victory in 2009 was OK but was really really small but the shrimp were gigantic and delicious. This lobster on the Glory was about twice the size but still on the small side but delicious - shrimp smaller and OK.

The Filet Mignon comes on top of boneless beef short rib confit and it was delicious on the Victory. I swear - the filet mignon was on top of a piece of yankee pot roast which was on the lunch buffet the next day.

The other thing is that some descriptions of entrees was different on the TV than on the actual paper menu. Makes me nuts!

Thanks for the excellent info. We head out on the Glory on May 2nd and I chose it over the Valor due to the dry dock and hopeful new improvements.

This is only our 2nd cruise and 1st with Carnival and we are very excited.

I'm in the process of booking excursions now and am reading posts for recommendations.

Looking forward to the pictures!!:)

what type of state room did you have?

Did they upgrade the cabins? Bedding, flat screens etc?

Thanks for the info!

We had a standard balcony and it had new carpets and I don't know whether the bedding was new or not but it certainly wasn't worn.

Our stateroom did have a flat screen TV.

The oval table that raises and lowers had some scuffs on the wood trim and there was a crack in the bathroom sink that had been sealed.

Everything else in the stateroom was in perfect condition.

Thanks for the excellent info. We head out on the Glory on May 2nd and I chose it over the Valor due to the dry dock and hopeful new improvements.

This is only our 2nd cruise and 1st with Carnival and we are very excited.

I'm in the process of booking excursions now and am reading posts for recommendations.

Looking forward to the pictures!!:)

I thought I was going to take a lot but didn't! Here are a few:

Serenity Whirlpool

Serenity2.jpg?t=1267562832

More of Serenity

SerenityLoungers.jpg?t=1267562461

More....

Serenity.jpg?t=1267562511

Adult only Aft Pool and Whirlpools

AdultPoolandSpas-Aft.jpg?t=1267562558

Pitiful Amenity Basket with a 2 use toothpaste and 1 shaver. I can't believe that Carnival even mentions the amenity basket as an amenity in the stateroom!

AmenityBasket.jpg?t=1267562603

Okay - hate to sound dumb, have sailed 2 times to the Eastern Caribbean, but this will be my first to Western. What is the flying chair? Looks cool, but where is it, and where does it go?

Also, do they still have the talent show on Carnival cruises? Have seen it 3 times, and that's enough....

Thank you!

Thanks for the info. I'm excited about our trip on the Glory in 7/10. It's nice to hear that the adult areas are being enforced. I have a few random questions for you.

I've read about the Glory but I don't remember where the Mongolian Grill is. Is that in the buffet area? Did you do anytime dining and if so how did it work out for you especially in regards to being able to see the evening shows?

Could you post a few of the daily Capers or whatever they are calling them now?

Did you go to the piano bar and if so how was it? Do you remember who the piano player was?

Thanks for fielding questions!

I'm sailing on the Glory in April. I've read reviews and am still kind of confused. What beverages are included on the ship? I know that there is a soda card you can get, but would like to know what's included besides that.

Thanks for any help you can give

Archived