Tea in the Afternoon

auntienance

Not sure how it is on other ships. I'm guessing on some of the more upscale lines and on longer cruises it's a bit more formal. We just happened upon it one afternoon and went in (it was held at the piano bar on the Fascination). We were dressed in casual clothes, khakis and a polo shirt for DH, a khaki skirt and nice tee for me. We didn't feel at all underdressed.

Karen

We also stumbled upon afternoon tea on the Valor. It is held in Winston's Cigar Bar and everyone looked to be wearing what you would normally see during the day (except no swimsuits/cover ups, etc.) It looked kind of fun. We were on our way to the Internet Cafe, which, IMO is in an odd, out-of-the-way location back in the corner through Winston's. You have to walk through Winston's to get there which seems kind of weird.

I always go to "Tea" on cruises. It's certainly not like High Tea, but is nice. The usual assortment of cucumber sandwiches (and others), petit fors, and a good variety of teas. I don't change from my shorts - it's not required, and I don't feel underdressed at all.

I like the Tea. Its usually on a sea day about 3:30. THe setting is nice to catch up with people you are cruising with in a relaxing athmosphere. My kids did this withtheir grandmother and it was sooo lovely.

What would you consider "High Tea"?

down in Greenwich Ct., it's a formal thing. It's at a teahouse in downtown, complete with white gloves, for both the servers and the patrons. There is no question that being in anything less than a very nice dress would be underdressed!!

What would YOU consider "High Tea"?

Karen

On X, they had it everyday served up where the buffets/casual dinner was. (They also brought the teas and sandwiches to suite each day so you wouldnt have to travel a whole 2 decks to get them... LOL) It was VERY casual, but they did have one high tea that was "formal" (people still went in shorts *rolls eyes*)... I've never been to Carnivals tea, but I would assume its fairly casual...

According to the Oxford English dictionary (OED):

"high tea, a tea at which meat is served"

Tea is where small cakes and cucumber sandwiches, and the like are served with your hot tea. According to the OED, tea is:

"4. a. A meal or social entertainment at which tea is served; esp. an ordinary afternoon or evening meal, at which the usual beverage is tea (but sometimes cocoa, chocolate, coffee, or other substitute). Now usu. a light meal in the late afternoon, but locally in the U.K. (esp. northern), and in Australia and N.Z., a cooked evening meal; in Jamaica, the first meal of the day."

So, High tea is actually supper (evening meal). Many Americans seem to mis-use the term "high" thinking that it means a more formal setting for tea. Just call it Tea or Tea time.

Deb (the librarian)

I missed out going to Tea on Carnival Glory on our December cruise. Did I miss anything fantastic as far as food or music or setting?

Been on the Conquest and the Elation. Casual dress. People just seemed to

stroll into the area in shorts, khakis, tees etc. I didn't see any swimsuits or

coverups.

I found the tea to be a great place to read. The music was subdued and the

service attentive. I found an out of the way spot and just enjoyed drinking my tea, snacking on the little sandwiches and cakes and reading. Its also great if you have the last dinner seating and just want a little something to tide you over until then.....not pizza or hamburgers etc.

Thanks for the responses! :) Next question -- is anything served besides tea (coffee perhaps?). Not sure I can lure the DH with tea alone! :D

coffee is also served. (from silver coffee pots) into little fine china cups. Ladies serve the tea/coffee wearing gloves. Little cakes and little sandwiches were served alongisde our coffee/tea.

If you ant get your DH to try it--it only is half hour out o f your day.. try going yourself. Its really a relaxing time

Archived