Broken Gangplank on disembarkation?

Sinjin

Several posters, from different Poesia cruises, have said their disembarkment was delayed due to a "broken gangplank". How long should we plan on being delayed? This seems to be something we should plan on sort of like "weather" preventing us from stopping at Playa del Carmen. Should we just plan on sleeping in that morning and leaving our cabin when they call us to disembark?

Several posters, from different Poesia cruises, have said their disembarkment was delayed due to a "broken gangplank". How long should we plan on being delayed? This seems to be something we should plan on sort of like "weather" preventing us from stopping at Playa del Carmen. Should we just plan on sleeping in that morning and leaving our cabin when they call us to disembark?

A quick search shows 2 posts both Feb. 2010 cruise, probably same one.

I would think you should cancel, I don't believe you will have a good time.

We were on the Feb. 6-13 cruise. The gangplank broke on Feb. 13 in Ft. Lauderdale. Since you have to be out of your cabin at 7 AM, and we were finally off the ship at 10:20 AM, we hada miserable 3 hours and 20 minutes just sitting. In all that time, there were a grand total of 3 announcements. They were "out" of coffee, no water available unless you bought a bottle in the bar, and for awhile were out of toilet paper in the ladies room. What a grand finale!

Yes, that is the cruise we are talking about.

Do you know of any others?

No TP in the ladies room?:eek:

Yikes!!

So, let me understand, everyone has to get out of their rooms by 7 and wait in a public area until called for disembarkation?

Yes, we got to sit in the theater. We have had to be out fairly early on other cruises but at least they had crew around chatting and joking with us, a little distraction, at least. There were no crew in sight. A miserable wait with no concern for our comfort evident at all. Yep, no TP in the john. Later, someone dumped a bunch of rolls on the vanity.

Yes all passengers have to be out of their cabins by 7am. And if you leave your luggage in your room and go to b'fast, the cabin steward will come in and clean your room while you are gone. We went to b'fast at 6am and when we returned at 6:30 our room was cleaned and the bathroom was locked. Then you have the pleasure of sitting in a crowded lounge for what seems like forever. We chose self embarkation, which at least gets us off the ship first even if I have to take my own luggage with me. We were asked to meet in the zebra lounge at 6:45, it was 8 or later before we were allowed to disembark. When you finally get off the ship you are greeted by pushy employees that tell you that you need certians documents at the next check point.. but if you stop to find them... or wait for your travel companion to get off the escalator they will tell you to keep moving. Wow what a way to end my vacation!!

I didn't want to reply to this but i can't help myself.

If you've been on 2 cruises or more you should realise that there's always a wait to disembark. Plan ahead. I take my backgammon case with a cribbage board inside & playing cards. I know that some people get anxious & have to catch a flight but they should allow plenty of time in case there are interruptions & they're usually first off the ship.

You are also told, repeatedly, during disembarkation to keep your travel documents in hand & you should until you hit the street. They want you to keep moving so that things flow smoothly. I don't think you'ld want to see a clog at the bottom of an escalator where people get jammed up & it leads to injuries.

A little patience & forward planning goes a long way.

I didn't want to reply to this but i can't help myself.

If you've been on 2 cruises or more you should realise that there's always a wait to disembark. Plan ahead. I take my backgammon case with a cribbage board inside & playing cards. I know that some people get anxious & have to catch a flight but they should allow plenty of time in case there are interruptions & they're usually first off the ship.

You are also told, repeatedly, during disembarkation to keep your travel documents in hand & you should until you hit the street. They want you to keep moving so that things flow smoothly. I don't think you'ld want to see a clog at the bottom of an escalator where people get jammed up & it leads to injuries.

A little patience & forward planning goes a long way.

Yes I realize there is always a wait... I have been on 6 cruises. But the wait times On MSC seems to be excessive (even with shore excursions). The ship docked at 5am. I can't see that it takes 3 hours to get everything ready for disembarkation. If there is a delay of some sort.. an announcement or two never hurt anyone, and people are more understanding if they are kept informed.

And I did have my travel documents in my hand... but after an hour or mores wait in a lounge I did put them away for fear I may misplace them or drop them (I only put them in the front of my purse, God forbid I stop for 3 seconds to unzip the zipper). And as for people getting jammed up.. there was NO ONE behind me or in front of me.... not sure where they all went... but the coast was clear... I needed to wait for my travel companion at the bottom of the escalator (and I didn't stop at the bottom... I moved over to the edge of the walkway as not to impede the masses), as we live at the same address and we had one customs form between us, and I wasn't the one carrying it!

Just thought I would share my most recent experience...

Our last cruise was Carnival Glory, August 2008. We waited standing in line to disembark for 1.5 hours. Had to find a seat for my mother, and then ultimately a wheelchair. There was no one walking through the area talking to us. However, one thing you can cant on with Carnival is announcements....:p. Could not tell you what there were about though!

I was on the same cruise and i departed about 11:00 am and had no problems with coffee or my wife with toilet paper. At 10:30 i was drinking coffee and everyone on the staff was just as friendly as they had been all week.

I read more than two, boy.

Planning on having such a good time that I may need to sleep in that last morning.

I have only seen the gang plank being broke one time too.

I don't consider being out of the cabin by seven sleeping in, wonder why we have to get out so early?

I have only seen the gang plank being broke one time too.

I don't consider being out of the cabin by seven sleeping in, wonder why we have to get out so early?

Ughh now that is early. Often its 8am on other sailings.

The reason is that they want to get all teh cabins ready for the next people onboard, I believe that in the US people are accustommed to getting on the ship early (earlier than MSC's official time) so I guess that is why they are doing this. I also have heard that although other lines allow you on to the ship early, you don't always get to go to your cabin right away. Is that true?

personally I'd prefer to have to wait to board until after lunch or wait for my cabin if I boarded earlier than having to get out of my cabin that early. Then again I'm not a "morning person".

Ughh now that is early. Often its 8am on other sailings.

The reason is that they want to get all teh cabins ready for the next people onboard, I believe that in the US people are accustommed to getting on the ship early (earlier than MSC's official time) so I guess that is why they are doing this. I also have heard that although other lines allow you on to the ship early, you don't always get to go to your cabin right away. Is that true?

personally I'd prefer to have to wait to board until after lunch or wait for my cabin if I boarded earlier than having to get out of my cabin that early. Then again I'm not a "morning person".

Yes, although you may be able to board @ say 11 or 12, you will only be able to visit certain areas such as the lido (buffet) or pool/upper decks, they generally won't allow you to the cabins until after 2pm or so after they have been prepared.

I believe on HAL we didn't have to leave the cabin until 10am, lots of times you can wait in your cabin until your luggage tag is called.

Yes, although you may be able to board @ say 11 or 12, you will only be able to visit certain areas such as the lido (buffet) or pool/upper decks, they generally won't allow you to the cabins until after 2pm or so after they have been prepared.

I believe on HAL we didn't have to leave the cabin until 10am, lots of times you can wait in your cabin until your luggage tag is called.

Have to say that sounds much preferable to me. On the European sailings, they usually don't let you board that early -officially 3 but you can usually get on after noon. When you get on your cabinh is ready and you can access all of the ship. Downside is when the cruise ends you have to be out your cabin by 8am

Archived