Who loves watching the runners???

G&TQ

Hay I remember that , your husband lit up quite a few girls with his laser light .:eek:

LOL...why yes he did....and one of those girls was following the light and almost walked off the pier..he had to throw the light way back to keep her from going in the water....were you serious that you were one of us on the Lido being entertained? I know there were a few of us and I swear that was one of the things we still talk about when we get together...

On a cruise stop to St.Maarten me and my honey went to Orient beach for the day. The captain had announced on board we would be leaving 1 hour earlier than scheduled time due to an incoming storm.

We take our taxi over to the French side and make arrangements with the driver to pick us up. We spent a GREAT day at the beach. With an hour to sailing we went to the taxi area and there are NONE to be found. NO TAXI'S! Finally, after 40 minute or so frantic search we found one. We had less than 20 minutes to meet the ship and it was a 20 min or so taxi ride. Orient beach isn't some out-of-the-way beach either.

Even though we found a taxi, we worried ourselves the whole ride back about how close timewise we were going to be. We get to the pier and begin "moving butt" to get to the gangplank. Yep, people were yelling from their balconies "run! you can make it!" (They were rooting for us!) :p

The ship crew saw us running and sent a golf cart to pick us up (loong pier!) We got on board and the gangway was pulled onboard. We were happy! :D

I believe the taxi drivers were used to the ship schedule and didn't show at the taxi areas on the beach at the usual time cause they didn't know the ship was leaving earlier then normal. :eek:

We were those runners in Coz - we rented a jeep and had a great day with our DD at Paradise Beach. We decided to leave and after looking at the clock in the jeep my DH thought we had almost 2 hours and that it would be fun just to take a drive around a bit. Something made me look in the beach bag for my watch - it was a half hour drive with a half hour before sail time. DH drove like a nut praying we didn't get stopped - the rental guy met us at the curb and said all of the paperwork was in order - just go! We looked like OJ Simpson running through the shops on the pier with DD (8 at he time) crying the whole way. When we came out the other side of the shops, they were removing the ships lines from the cleats and security was holding everyone back. We then noticed while they were removing the large lines there were smaller lines holding the ship in place and one gangplank was still down. DH started talking to a security guard and he said we were just 3 of about 35 that were holding up the ship's departure. By the time we got on the elevator and into our cabin door the ship was already pulling away from the dock. That was the closest we've ever come, we certainly learned our lesson!!!!

We've missed runners on the last 5 of our cruises....and that included a stop in Cozumel. In fact, most of our departures left a little early since everyone was already onboard. Maybe next time. :D

The funniest one that I ever saw was in Canada. I believe that we were in St. John, but I'm not certain. It was a Princess ship, and at first they called for 6 passengers, then 4, then 2, finally we were down to a single passenger. The bagpipe player gave us a farewell song...and then another....and then another. Next thing you know, a taxi comes flying into the parking area, does a spinning stop worthy of a scene in "Gone in Sixty Seconds" and out comes the final passenger....strolling :rolleyes: up the gangway. Seriously, if they crawled, they couldn't have been walking any faster.

I've seen many runners and some that were left behind, but my favorite was one time in Cozumel. Almost everyone was on board and two young women were being pedaled back on the bike taxis. We couldn't hear what they were saying to each other, but it became obvious that one of the women didn't have any money left and had promised the driver that she would flash him in exchange for a ride to the ship. Her friend tapped her on the shoulder reminding her of her promise. So she slowly raised up her shirt and gave the guy a really good, long flash. What she didn't realize was that there were about 15 of us right above her on the deck 3 overlook watching the whole thing. We all gave her a loud ovation for her efforts. She suddenly looked up to see us and turned about as red as a person could get. We laughed about that for a long time.

---Bruce

I've seen many runners and some that were left behind, but my favorite was one time in Cozumel. Almost everyone was on board and two young women were being pedaled back on the bike taxis. We couldn't hear what they were saying to each other, but it became obvious that one of the women didn't have any money left and had promised the driver that she would flash him in exchange for a ride to the ship. Her friend tapped her on the shoulder reminding her of her promise. So she slowly raised up her shirt and gave the guy a really good, long flash. What she didn't realize was that there were about 15 of us right above her on the deck 3 overlook watching the whole thing. We all gave her a loud ovation for her efforts. She suddenly looked up to see us and turned about as red as a person could get. We laughed about that for a long time.

---Bruce

That is freakin' hillarious! Maybe the bicyclist wasn't clear when he said, "OK, I'll take you, but I want to see a good TIP when we get there!"

:D

Here are some pictures from my balcony last week of 4 that just (and I mean just) made it. In the 2nd photo you can see the crew pointing to watch their step as the bottom piece of the ramp was already stowed. The 3rd photo is a close up that may include a clue as to why they may have almost missed the ship ;) Nice basket made of green palm leaves on her (oh yea by the way you cannot being green palm leaves back into the US)

322097404_Picture256.jpg.e607243e1b4a9a5fbba5347dcea2f094.jpg

230265820_Picture258.jpg.8b4f3eb4b3eadccdbff9f3673fb568e4.jpg

407945979_Picture257.jpg.d7cb698e1c8ee4a5ccd99ad092e78333.jpg

:D Ok I want to read more stories and see more video clips... Anyone else. Wow I am going to NC in cozumel I hope we get back early enough we aren't the drunk runners.

We love to get a drink, sit on the balcony and watch the runners. :D

Cozumel is the best place to watch the drunks returning back to the ship.

The first time that I was in Cozumel, the people that I was traveling with stated we had to go back on board to watch "the show" (our ship was leaving at 10 p.m.) around 4:00 p.m. There was a Carnival ship leaving at 5:00 p.m.

Between the drunks going to the wrong ship (including one who stated that someone moved his ship :eek:!), being carried over other people shoulders, almost walking off the pier, drunken run,etc I was laughing so hard my side was hurting.

The same happen on my ship around 9:30 p.m.

Something about Senior Frog's and Carlos and Charlie that cause some people to forget that time even exist!!!

LMBO! i remember watching that first one before, i feel so bad for the people even though its not the ships fault :o

god i hope thats never me. well, im way to type A to have that happen to me, i am so rediculously organized and dh and i are usually back on the ship 1 hr before departure at the most. but as for the rest of my group.... who knows! all i can say is that if its time to get back to the ship, i aint waitin for em!

Archived