Dream Review: February 20, Western Carribean

We LOVED our cruise!! We were first time cruisers, and I think we may have been spoiled by this big, beautiful ship. We went to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. I really appreciated all the great reviews on this board, so I hope this helps other travelers.

Embarkation: Smooth as can be!! We originally wanted to get to the dock a lot earlier than we did. We were a tad stressed about being late. We arrived to the dock about 2:00 and there was NO LINE whatsoever. We were through the entire process in less than 15 minutes. Next time, we'll plan to arrive earlier, just so we can get a few more hours on our trip!

DAY ONE:

We went straight to our room to drop off our stuff (carry-ons) and set out to explore the ship and get our first umbrella drink!010-21.jpg[/img]

We had an oceanview deluxe room on riviera level. way at the back, way at the bottom! We liked it just fine, but we don't know the difference. It had ample closet space (three actually!), a little set of drawers and a set of shelves in one of the closets. There were two bathrooms! One with a shower/toilet/vanity/shelves, and the other with a mini-tub/shower and smaller vanity/shelves. The room was more spacious than I thought it would be. There was a couch and table in the room as well.

003-47.jpg[/img]

004-47.jpg[/img]

Extra little bathroom with a teeny tub/shower. I think this would be good for families with small children, so they could take a tubby! I know my boys would have loved it.

007-40.jpg[/img]

Main bath with larger shower/vanity/toilet

008-30.jpg[/img]

This ship is really gorgeous. There is mosaic tile all over the ship - so pretty!

Sunset Bar, hubby ordering a bucket of beers. This is the tile work I was talking about. It's lovely.

015-21.jpg[/img]

I will say right now that this ship is immaculate. The health inspectors were there on that day, and we learned at the end of the cruise that the ship received a score of 100%!! Pretty impressive!

We grabbed a drink and a reuben sandwich on the sunset deck. DELICIOUS!! We went up to to the Serenity area and relaxed on their big comfy chairs. It's really pretty up there. We skipped the dining room, so we could explore the ship some more. We ate dinner at the buffet. It's pretty good, but not as tasty as the dining room food. Several of the items on the dining room dinner menu are on the buffet. And, you can get warm chocolate melting cake on the buffet - so I had my first of those! :)

DAY TWO:

Day at Sea. We just lounged around the Serenity Deck, had some drinks, and at a lot of food! That's our day, pretty much! We ate in the dining room. It was the fist elegant night. The food and service were great!

The bed was really comfortable and I loved the pillows. We had a room at the waaay back of the ship, on level 1 (riviera). Now, since this is our first cruise, we didn't know the difference so I can't tell you if it was rockier or noisier back there than other places. When we pulled into port, there was NO mistaking it! Our room was shaking and loud! I'm guessing this has to do with slowing down, docking, etc. On the nights that the sea was a little rough, so was our room. I would say if you get seasick, this might not be the place for you!

DAY THREE:

Cozumel - We booked a spot at Nachi Cocom and grabbed a taxi to the beach. The port here is really nice and there are a lot of nice stores right at the port. It's very clean, very safe feeling. The cab was 15 bucks, flat rate, up to 4 people each way. Nachi was lovely. The service was crummy, but I think that was just our luck. Our waiter got pulled away to wait on a big group on scuba divers that came up via boat. But, we just went up to the bar/restaurant and ordered our own food/drinks. I'm not going to complain - the place was gorgeous, drinks were tasty, food was good!

Back on the ship, we ate at the buffet for this night. We were pretty tired from our day of sitting in the sun drinking, so we took a long nap and just hung out.

DAY FOUR:

Roatan - we booked the Jolly Roger Catamaran/Gumbalimba Park excursion through Carnival. The snorkeling was really nice - we saw a lot of fish and even a sea turtle! The park was pretty as well. We had a guided walking tour, took our pics with the monkeys, etc. I wasn't that impressed by the park. For example, they had a boa constrictor tied to a bush so people could see it. Weird. The park was pretty, though and I enjoyed learning about the history of the island and its people/culture.

We had a cheeseburger at the grill when we got back to the ship! YUM! They have a lot of toppings out for you to add, like chili, mushrooms, onions, cheese, etc.

We ate in the dining room that night. Again - great service, great food! Our waiter Suta and his assistant, Vladamir were so much fun!

I think this is the night we went to the Dancing in the Streets show and it was GREAT!! The acrobats were amazing! I had read great reviews of this show, so I made sure we went - it did not disappoint.

DAY FIVE:

Belize - We took the zipline/canopy tour excursion through Carnival. The bus ride was long and very rough. I mean, you could seriously jack up your back on this bus ride! Our guide even made a joke about it saying "Now sit back, relax, and enjoy the complementary massage!" It was about an hour and a half on an old school bus. And a good portion of the bus ride is on a gravel road. I suggest sitting as close to the front as you can to cut down on the bumping. We were at the back of the bus and I literally bounced up off the seat a few times! Our guide Prem/Prez (can't quite remember!) was great. He talked nearly the entire way there about the country/people/culture/economy/history. It was great. He pointed out things all along the way. The zipline itself was wonderful. I felt very safe and secure and it was so fun!! They offered complementary bottled water.

DAY SIX:

Costa Maya, Mexico

We chose the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins excursion through Carnival. This was my hubby's favorite day! The ruins are amazing. There are some un-excavated ruins, and several that are excavated. Our guide, Sergio was so great. He had visual aids and answered any questions you may have. He spoke the whole way there about the culture/history of the Mayan people. It was about a one hour bus ride. This bus was GREAT! Especially compared to our bus in Belize! It was a really nice motor coach bus, air conditioned, very clean. At the end of the tour of the ruins, we had time to meander around the little 'shops' they had there. We purchased a few things here and they were much less expensive than at the port. On the way back, we each got a snack of chips, banana, and muffins. They also had complementary soda, water, or beer. If you wanted more snacks or drinks, he came around the bus and gave you more. I highly recommend this tour.

We went to the comedy club (late showing/uncensored). It was funny!! I enjoy stand-up comedy and these guys were pretty funny.

DAY SEVEN:

Day at Sea - We slept in late, ate, and lounged around on deck.

DEBARKATION:

Again, very easy. We set out our bags with their tags the night before. We were in group 33 of 35, so some of the last people to get off the ship. There was virtually no standing around waiting to get off, or waiting for our bags. This system seems very efficient. They projected our group to be called to debark at about 9:20-9:30 and it was right on schedule.

One more thing -

THE SHIP SMELL! I read so many reviews about the sewer smell - and I did smell it! :( We always smelled it on our floor (1st) about mid-ship (at the 200's rooms) and then up on the deck at the back of the ship. It seems like a ventilation thing. It wasn't all the time or bad enough to complain about. I was too busy having fun on my trip.

I'm trying to add pictures....

I'm trying to add pictures and it won't let me now - sorry about that!!

ROATAN

Gumbalimba Park...

We had to walk across this bridge!! YIKES!

086-2.jpg[/img]

View of Roatan from the ship - gorgeous!!

094-1.jpg[/img]

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins - really amazing!!

198.jpg[/img]

The view from our room...

134-3.jpg[/img]

Port at Costa Maya

206.jpg[/img]

Gangway...these ships are massive!!

214-2.jpg[/img]

Taken from the pier at Costa Maya

144-1.jpg[/img]

208.jpg[/img]

The cave area where the zipline/canopy tour started...great excursion!!

126-2.jpg[/img]

Friendly monkeys at Gumbalimba park

079-2.jpg[/img]

Our waiter knew we were celebrating our anniversary and brought out an extra dessert with 2 candles and they all sang to us. It was so fun!

099-2.jpg[/img]

Encore Theater - not a very good pic...

107-4.jpg[/img]

Here are some more ship pics....

They showed movies on the bigscreen every night. We watch the proposal...and then it started raining. But we also go to see some of the olympics up there - very fun!

025-11.jpg[/img]

034-9.jpg[/img]

Pretty impressive Ship! I was driving my husband crazy because I kept stopping to take pictures of it! haha!

039-10.jpg[/img]

Looking down on the Atrium/glass elevators

026-14.jpg[/img]

The loooong hallway

036-7.jpg[/img]

The ship had these cool vintage cruiseing murals all along the walls in the hallways.

037-12.jpg[/img]

And more pics....

Big hammocks on the Serenity Deck

027-12.jpg[/img]

Scarlett Dining room - not a very good picture. This room is hard to photograph because the lighting is so red. But, it's a really pretty room

009-27.jpg[/img]

Ahhh...vacation!

019-19.jpg[/img]

023-14.jpg[/img]

Putt-Putt

022-19.jpg[/img]

What a great week!!!

024-10.jpg[/img]

This was so fun - We can't wait to go back!!!

If you're interested in seeing my food pictures, I posted them in this thread! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1154499

And one more detail...

We have three small boys, so my husband and I don't get much of a chance to just sit and enjoy a meal and adult conversation alone. We had late dining. I really wanted anytime dining, so we would have a better chance of getting a table for two. When we went to the dining room on our first sea day. I asked if it would be possible to get a table for two, and Klaudio, the matre'd said absolutely. It was a table for four, but he'd make it a table for two for us. The people next to us on either side also had table for 2. As well as a few others right in our little section. So, if you want a table for 2, I suggest booking late dining and then asking the matre'd.

Great review so far! My family leaves on the Dream same itinerary in 115 days!!

Great review! Really making me wish it was May already so I can be on the Dream!

Your room had a bathtub??? Lucky!

I'm jealous!!! I just got home a few days ago and I miss it! If it weren't for missing our kids, I'd really be sad to get off that ship! :) Have a fun time!!

Oh, and the tub was really small - maybe half the size of a regular bathtub.

Thanks for posting your review! So, are you addicted to cruising now??

We loved the Dream, and can't wait to sail her again. I'm so glad you had a good time. Welcome home!

Ummm...I'm so addicted, I might need counseling! haha! :) We had a blast! I had a few reservations about cruising. I didn't want to feel like I was 'on a schedule' or herded around. We didn't feel like that at all! My parents have taken a few cruises and she suggested it - telling me that it wasn't like how I thought it would be. It's just so great to be able to visit all those great places in one week!

LOL don't get the counseling - just book another cruise!

Many people have preconceived ideas about what cruising is like. The only way to know is to cruise for yourself, don't you agree?

I remember my first time, I had some many second, third, and fourth thoughts after I had booked and paid for it. Of all things, I thought I would be bored! Oh my - that makes me laugh. We simply cannot get around to all that is offered on any given cruise. I feel like I would have to do the exact same cruise and ship 3 or 4 times to feel like I got to enjoy everything.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your review and the pics, I really enjoying reading and seeing the pics from those that have just been on a cruise.

Are you like many of us, ready to book your next cruise?

lovetotravel, thanks so much for your review and pics!!!!

I think my husband and I are like you, we don't want to be on a schedule or herded about, I think you can be if you want but you can just go do your thing too. We don't feel a need to be entertained or do "activities"

We enjoy going to different areas of the ship, exploring, having a drink, sitting on our balcony and enjoying the sea, since we live in a landlocked place :-)

Loved your review.

Cheers, Carole

How did you get an Oceanview Deluxe Room for 2 people? I had tried to book one of these rooms on different occasions as we are traveling as a family of 5, but on a lot of dates they were sold out. There are so few of these rooms that can support a family of 5 that I am surprised they would book it for 2 people. Can you tell me what cabin number you were in? I have been a little concerned about the noise when pulling in to port, which you said was very loud.

Where is the serenity deck...and how did you get there? thanks

The Serenity Deck is at the Foreward of the ship, above the spa. You have to go past the waterworks or up through the spa to get to it. It's lovely!

Thanks for the Dream review! I'm so excited - how am I going to wait until fall?!

I guess you'll just have to obsess over it and read reviews and look at pictures and dream of it until then! That's what I did! My husband was like "can we talk about something other than the cruise we're not going on for another 2 months?!" ;)

How did you get an Oceanview Deluxe Room for 2 people? I had tried to book one of these rooms on different occasions as we are traveling as a family of 5, but on a lot of dates they were sold out. There are so few of these rooms that can support a family of 5 that I am surprised they would book it for 2 people. Can you tell me what cabin number you were in? I have been a little concerned about the noise when pulling in to port, which you said was very loud.

I booked this last fall. Our particular room didn't have the fold down bed that I noticed some of the other rooms down the hall from ours had. It would not have worked for a family of five (we are also a fam. of five). It had 2 twin beds pushed together to make the king. Our cabin number was 1443. I think there were only 2 rooms farther back than ours (toward the end of the ship) I know some of the other rooms have a pull down bunk above the main bed. So, I'm thinking they have a few oceanview deluxe that are just meant for two people.

I'm so happy people are enjoying my review!! I know I combed over reviews and pictures before we went and really appreciated it - glad I can help!!:D

How crowded did Serenity get on sea days? Was it windy up there?

Were many people using the hot tubs on the Lanai during the day? From pictures I have seen, it seems like an odd place to put hot tubs.

Can you describe the Lania and promadade deck to me? I am used to Voyager and Freedom class ships on Royal.

AWESOME REVIEW! I loved reading about your adventures and really like seeing the pictures. We will be sailing on the Dream a few short weeks. Could you tell me, did they sing in the dining room every night, or just on different nights? I've read several reviews on the Dream and saw that they didn't sing each night. Just curious, either way is fine w/me. Thanks again for the great review!

How crowded did Serenity get on sea days? Was it windy up there?

Were many people using the hot tubs on the Lanai during the day? From pictures I have seen, it seems like an odd place to put hot tubs.

Can you describe the Lania and promadade deck to me? I am used to Voyager and Freedom class ships on Royal.

The Serenity Area was pretty full on Sea Days. However, it's very spacious, so you didn't feel like sardines or anything. The lounge chairs were hard to come by. They were pretty full and as soon as someone would get up, others would swoop in. They have these big, round chair things with a table at the center that fit 2 people. Some of those even have a shade you can pull up/down. There are a lot of single chairs and ottoman/table things. There are also some sectional couches. All these chairs/etc. are padded. I would say if you want to spend your sea day up there lounging in the sun, get up there right after breakfast, or you'll have to be on 'standby' for a lounger. There were always plenty of regular chairs, though. It's pretty windy up there, I guess. But I didn't notice it that much except in the evening when it was windier all over the ship outside.

I didn't use the hot tubs at all on the ship. Any time the weather was nice, they were in use. The ones on Serenity and the lanai are pretty big.

The lanai sortof wraps around the whole ship....you can walk it. It's just a nice big deck and there are chairs/loungers along there. And there is a hot tub at the middle of the ship on both sides. There are also 2 hot-tubs at the pools.

AWESOME REVIEW! I loved reading about your adventures and really like seeing the pictures. We will be sailing on the Dream a few short weeks. Could you tell me, did they sing in the dining room every night, or just on different nights? I've read several reviews on the Dream and saw that they didn't sing each night. Just curious, either way is fine w/me. Thanks again for the great review!

Glad you enjoyed it! :) Thanks! Every night we went to the dining room they had 'ssshhhhhowtime!!' They danced a few nights and sang a few nights. It was fun!

Archived