Explorer of the Seas (Bermuda) or Norwegian Jewel (Bahamas/Florida) w/ 6 and 3 y0

principessa7

We would like to cruise in May w/ our kids but can't decide which would be better with the kids (6 and 3). NCL Jewel will have Nickelodeon on board (not themed) but RCCL Explorer of the Seas seems to have more activities (mini golf, ice skating). Also, is it warm enough to use the pool in May, departing from NY/NJ area??

Thank you so much.

We would like to cruise in May w/ our kids but can't decide which would be better with the kids (6 and 3). NCL Jewel will have Nickelodeon on board (not themed) but RCCL Explorer of the Seas seems to have more activities (mini golf, ice skating). Also, is it warm enough to use the pool in May, departing from NY/NJ area??

Thank you so much.

The average high in May for Bermuda is only 75. The average high for NJ in May is 66 degrees. While it's nice to sit outside it's not quite outdoor swimming weather. Also I would check into what is the average water temp for that time of year. I personally would pick the Bahamas. The reason is you have a better chance of swimming (avg high is 83) and the water temps seems to be a lot warmer down there.

Is your 3 yo potty trained? If not they can use the kids club on NCL but not RCCL. On the other had RCCL offers in room baby sitting and NCL does not. I think the the EOS may have a baby splash area on board which NCL does not (please confirm this with someone b/c I haven't actually sailed on this ship) Right now I like NCL for babies/toddlers but I think I will prefer RCCL with older kids, like your 6 yo, b/c there are more activities.

• 4 weeks later...

EOS does have a toddler splash pool - the problem for us was it is nowhere near the main pool. So one parent had to sit at the main pool with our 7 year old who can swim, and the other had to go to the splash pool with our 3 year old (who can't swim was constantly on the verge of plunging into the main pool if we attempted to spend time with her there).

Also, the splash pool area is mostly shaded and a very cold area if the weather isn't hot. There is a water slide in for bigger kids in the area of the splash pool, but was only open for limited hours on our cruise to the Bahamas.

Archived