Rum Point with Native Way Watersports

sciroccata

My sister and I went last February with Nativeways. When we got off about twelve people were waiting an extended family with a few kids another older couple and me and my sister. They split us up into the family of about 8 and us with the other couple. We were on a small boat about 20-25'. Our guide was great and we got there quickly and were so excited when we saw the huge amounts of people crammed on the larger tour boats. I can't remember his name, but it was great and we got lots of individual attention. Since only four we didn't snorkel for long since we were cold and saw what we wanted. We LOVED rum point, like a commercial for carribbean or postcard.

We did it a couple of years ago. GREAT excursion; you won't regret it! And buy the DVD - there will be a videographer with you the whole day. The DVD of our day was $60 and I cheaped out and didn't get it. I was sorry right away. I would love to look back at that day!

We just got back from our cruise and had a stop in Grand Cayman. We had booked this tour with Nativeway (based on recommendations from this board and the description of the tour). To make a long story short, the government "closed" the water due to the winds, so there was no snorkeling or visits to Stingray City permitted.

The Nativeway rep did meet us at the tender pier to confirm that the tour was going to be canceled due to the weather. And that was it. His only recommendation was to take a taxi to go shopping in downtown. Ugh. Last year we took a similar cruise at a similar time to Grand Cayman and had arranged a snorkel/Stingray City trip with Captain Marvin. We had the same weather conditions and the same result - the trip was canceled. However, Captain Marvin's at least offered us an alternative tour - Beach/Hell/Turtle Farm, which we took. I appreciated Captain Marvin's willingness to come up with some alternatives....even though we were disappointed about the cancellation of the original tour.

I can't say the same for Nativeway....they basically left us high and dry with no alternatives. You would think that this type of thing happens somewhat frequently in the winter and that Nativeway would have an alternative it could provide....even an abbreviated trip to Rum Point with a few hours there and lunch. No, nothing. So, you have fair warning....if you book with Nativeway, you need to have your own back-up plan so you are not disappointed....or just skip Nativeway and book with someone else.

As for us.....we spent $40 for a trip to the beach and back. It was so windy, we stayed for about 30 minutes and then left. We returned to the ship and had a better day on deck. I think we're done with Cayman for a while. We were happy to waive goodbye to that island at the end of the day.

• 2 months later...

In response to the last post:

We were in Grand Cayman Dec 2009 on the Carnival Legend. We had booked the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with Native Way prior to sailing. The Stingray sandbar was closed and the Native Way group did offer us an alternative snorkle trip.

I am sorry that the last cruiser was unhappy. We have been to Grand Cayman twice and will be going back in November. I Will swim with the stingrays some day.

Archived