Cloth Diapers

~earthmama~

I can empathize. My daughter has had skin sensitivity issues since she was a baby. She still has issues at the age of 10. She can't wear anything with lace, nylon thread or the fancy dresses with tulle or netting. I have to take her clothes shopping with me to try on clothes and she knows as soon as she puts it on, she can't get it off quickly enough, if it is a material that is bothersome to her skin. And everything gets washed in dye/perfume free detergent. When she was a baby she had problems with disposables but I found that the cheap store brand disposables were NOT an issue. At the time we found we could use Kmart brand diapers. So I do not know if it is possible to try a couple different brands and see if there is one that your baby is not allergic to. In my daughter's case the allergy with diapers would cash a bumpy rash mostly around the waist area or wherever the tabs were and so we knew it was not just a "diaper rash". She also has scars from getting her ears pierced, poor thing. I imagine she is allergic to nickel as she can't wear jewelry.

diane

schoolinmy3: I have skin sensitivity very similar to your daughter's. There are so many fabrics and metals I can't wear. Lots of stylish stuff simply doesn't work for me and inexpensive clothes--heck, even some designer clothes--have polyester these days, one of my sensitivities. Anyway, a couple of non-cruise related thoughts for you: Do you know about using diluted vinegar instead of fabric softener? I'd read about it for years and we decided to give it a try. It's great! Softens our clothes and linens beautifully, leaves no scent, leaves no residue in the washer or on the clothes, doesn't bug our skin at all, and it's cheap. Also, I am allergic to nickel too, but I can wear 14kt or higher gold and high-grade sterling silver. I just have to make sure that there's no nickel in it. I know that some people can't wear metal jewelry of any kind, but your daughter might find a metal that doesn't harm her. Tell her she's not alone in her frustrations.

beachchick

Let's be practical here. Washing soiled cloth diapers is one thing but they have to be, ahem, rinsed and possibly even soaked/sterilised beforehand. How can you do that in a cruiseship bathroom and/or public laundry? Expecting room stewards to take care of some or all of the process is unreasonable. If your child has "special needs" regarding diapers then perhaps a cruise and the limited facilities available isn't the best idea until he/she no longer needs them?

As long as machines are available washing is no big deal. We don't soak our diapers we use a "dry pail" method. Modern cloth diapers are nothing like what we wore as kids (those of you old enough to have been cloth diapered). With all the other accomidations that are made daily on a cruise for various special needs using cloth diapers really should not be a big deal. I never suggested my room steward should be responsible for washing my diapers. Actually due to my sons sensitivities I would not allow others to was his diapers.

We (and lots of other ppl) use cloth diapers everyday even (gasp ;)) in public!

Thanks for all the suggestions here I will let you know what we do!

I cloth diapered and you will be fine as long as there are coin machines. We did laundry on our cruise and the machines were empty-no long lines. Not sure how you wash at home but back when my kids were babies I did 2 full washes and an extra rinse so that will likely take lots of time. I'd definitely leave the AIOs home because they take so long to dry.

I was addicted to cute covers and if I was going to cruise with a baby I'd probably be shopping like crazy for cruise themed covers:)

I do have to say I used enviro-friendly sposies for travel though I didn't have the allergy issue- but have a great cruise!

earthmama,

Told my husband about this thread. He sends you thumbs up. He is a firm believer in cloth diapers. And he knows the cruise lines can handle the situation.

I cloth diapered and you will be fine as long as there are coin machines. We did laundry on our cruise and the machines were empty-no long lines. Not sure how you wash at home but back when my kids were babies I did 2 full washes and an extra rinse so that will likely take lots of time. I'd definitely leave the AIOs home because they take so long to dry.

I was addicted to cute covers and if I was going to cruise with a baby I'd probably be shopping like crazy for cruise themed covers:)

I do have to say I used enviro-friendly sposies for travel though I didn't have the allergy issue- but have a great cruise!

Yeah, no AIO's, I was thinking flats or prefolds and cute covers!

I had not even thought about cruise themed diapers and covers. This could be fun! LOL

I also had the suggestion (on a CD board) to use disposable diapers and fleece liners and we may give that a shot (before the cruise) since it would be easier.

earthmama,

Told my husband about this thread. He sends you thumbs up. He is a firm believer in cloth diapers. And he knows the cruise lines can handle the situation.

Thanks! I love to hear of men who support cloth diapering!

My five were cloth-diapered as that was really the only option back in the early 70's. There were a couple of brands of disposables that were around (non-fitted Johnson & Johnson and Chux. No tabs - had to use diaper pins). We used the old fashioned-kind that had to be folded one way for girls, and another way for boys, and plastic pants over them. It's just the way it was then. When the youngest two were babies, there were more of a variety of disposables, but they were so expensive that we rarely used them. Some of our friends used a weekly diaper service, but it was pretty expensive. Since DH and I both worked full-time, I'd pack the cloth diapers daily for the sitter. I will say that we never had a diaper rash problem! We didn't cruise then (well, we did, but Grandma watched the kids), and there were no onboard laundry facilities on any 70's ship I was on - never saw babies, either, though. We did car trips to visit family and used their machines. Before my first grandchild was born in 2007, DD did a lot of research on-line about cloth diapers and eco-friendly flushable disposable inserts. (They live in the very "green" state of Oregon). Well, after two kids in two years and both parents working full-time, they use disposables - bought in bulk from Costco. There's some kind of eco-friendly non-preservo- treated disposable diaper that fits into a fitted outer pant. They're flushable, but you couldn't flush them down a ship's toilet. You might want to Google. They're supposed to be non-allergenic and $$$$, but something like that may work for you. I've heard that some parents bring the scented trash bags to put the used disposables in, and which the cabin steward removes daily. That might work as well. Good luck to you!

Thanks! I love to hear of men who support cloth diapering!

Well back in the day Rich being an older child had to diaper his sister as need be. So Cloth is no mystery. He also has no problem with breastfeeding.

Just wondering how rinsing in the toilet will work. Cause that is how we all did that with cloth diapers. Stick in the toilet and flush and then stick in a pail.

But I am talking 50/60's technology. I do remember when the liners came out. A cousin showed them off and all the older adults looked in awe. It was a big deal back then. Did not know they were still around. :D

We also had to stick diaper pins into a bar of soap so that they would slide easily through the cloth layers. We used "Ivory Flakes" for detergent. We also had cotton baby wash cloths to clean off bottoms that also had to be laundered. (Now they have wipes which can be heated and are disposable!) We had no truly protective carseats, and most cars didn't even have seatbelts. We did have "Snuglis". And primitive umbrella strollers. My DD often asks me what I used when she was a baby (she's 32), so I tell her, and we always have a good laugh! "You mean you baked sweet potatoes and mashed them with a fork and fed me big chunks? You didn't have a baby food processor? You breast-fed me back then? You bathed me in the bathroom sink? What's Health Tex? Why did I wear those stupid-looking white ankle-high lace-up shoes with leather bottoms when I started walking? What's with the dorky baby plate that you filled the bottom with hot water? You gave me baby aspirin stuffed into a banana? What's a bassinette?" Ad infinitum. DD (the one with grandkids) is the third of five, so her older siblings probably had it much worse!

Having cloth diapered before, maybe I can help. I would definitely get a large wet bag, one that closed preferably. And then leave it in the corner of your bathroom so you can keep that door closed in case there is a smell. Then launder them every couple days, you should be fine. Something to keep in mind, though, be prepared for the people in the camp to tell you they don't change cloth. They might... but it's a possibility. Also... have you ever looked into Gdiapers? Do you think he would be allergic to those? http://www.gdiapers.com/

I was going to suggest the gdiapers as well.

I can't believe how much more convenient and practical cloth diapers are today! I wanted to use them 5 years ago for DD and the hassle and expense was going to be unbelievable (and they didn't allow them at her daycare/preschool so we were kind of stuck). And I thought that diapers 5 years ago had come a long way from the late 60's when I was wearin' em!:D

[quote name=~earthmama

I had not even thought about cruise themed diapers and covers. This could be fun! LO[/quote]

life preservers, fishies, palm trees, boats-OH MY yes I would have fun shopping for covers :)

would be great if the liners and disposables would work for you though- how about around the waist? do the liners extend that far? that area gets so sweaty especially in hot weather

I recently potty trained my 2-year but we used cloth right up until the end. I would definitely bring prefolds or flats as they dry so much quicker. Personally I would pay for two cycles in coin-op washers, to make sure they're clean and also so the next person to use the machine doesn't get any "residue". I agree with the idea of getting a wet bag and leaving it in your bathroom. You won't likely smell anything at all. A friend of mine used cloth diapers on all her holidays, although they were not cruises. She has an adorable picture of all her brightly colored covers drying on her verandah with a backdrop of palm trees and the beach. :)

Good for you for trying this, I know you can do it!

Will a Diaper Genie work with cloth diapers? I know they can handle up to 180 diapers.

Our pediatrician swears that kids have a harder time with potty training because of disposable diapers. He says because the kids don't feel the wet and all that, and aren't uncomfortable, they just don't want to bother with getting out of the diapers. I have friends who used only cloth diapers and their kids were trained months ahead of those wearing the disposables.

I am 39 and Mom says Pampers were quite new and required pins and plastic pants! Not much easier than cloth then! The cloth I use now is way easier than that LOL!

Yes, with the velcro, etc. now, cloth diapers are SO much easier than they used to be. I love the idea of cruise/tropical themed covers -- they'd definitely be worth finding/making.

I hope it works for you! We exclusively cloth diaper at home, but we use disposibles on the cruise. Yuck. I hate disposibles! But thankfully my son doesn't react to disposibles, so he'll be fine. Though he does get much worse diaper rash in them - so I guess we'll pack plenty of diaper cream.

I was wondering about g-diapers too. Or have you tried 7th Generation or something like that? I wonder if he would react to those.

By the way, I don't see the big deal with leaving the diapers on the balcony. We have a dry, open pail upstairs at our house and it doesn't stink at all. I think in general cloth diapers are less stinky than disposible.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

We used cloth swim diapers too (not in the ship's pools, since diapers aren't allowed, but during shore excursions). The key with little ones in general, regardless of diaper type, is definitely to pick a ship with onboard laundry facilities, that makes things MUCH easier. We did one cruise where there weren't any, and washing his clothes in the sink was not an enjoyable way to spend my vacation. Doing it with cloth diapers would have made things much worse!

I also have a daughter who is allergic to disposable nappies, oops diapers. I have found the Nature Babies are ok, I don't know if eco disposables are available in the US but it might be worth a try.

Before we discovered those we do fleece liners in disposables if necessary and it worked fine. I just bought a really really cheap fleece blanket and cut it up to make the liners, on that basis you could even treat them as disposable so you don't have to work out about laundering if there isn't a coin operated laundry.

I think I'm going to investigate if there is one on Freedom of the Seas as I would much rather Z was in cloth while we are away - she's got cute covers to match all her outfits !

Also, I can not believe peoples concern over the smell. How do you think that "cloth diapering moms" - I'm getting the US lingo - manage at home or do you think our houses all smell all the time ? I would also reiterate what someone else said that cloth nappies smell much, much less than disposables.

I also have a daughter who is allergic to disposable nappies, oops diapers. I have found the Nature Babies are ok, I don't know if eco disposables are available in the US but it might be worth a try.

Before we discovered those we do fleece liners in disposables if necessary and it worked fine. I just bought a really really cheap fleece blanket and cut it up to make the liners, on that basis you could even treat them as disposable so you don't have to work out about laundering if there isn't a coin operated laundry.

I think I'm going to investigate if there is one on Freedom of the Seas as I would much rather Z was in cloth while we are away - she's got cute covers to match all her outfits !

Also, I can not believe peoples concern over the smell. How do you think that "cloth diapering moms" - I'm getting the US lingo - manage at home or do you think our houses all smell all the time ? I would also reiterate what someone else said that cloth nappies smell much, much less than disposables.

There is no coin operated laundry on Freedom of the Seas or any other RCCL ships. Also, I think others are more concerned about the smell wafting into the corridors and other staterooms. On an RCCL ship, you'll have to keep cloth diapers until the end of the cruise. :eek::o

Archived