Key West Not Safe???

VABeach

Thanks to the "Look to See Who's Going to be Docked at Your Island" thread, I noticed that MY ship was NOT going to be in port on the day we're "suppose" to be there.:rolleyes: So I checked the itenerary and yes, it's been removed.:(

I called RCI and was told that Key West is "not safe to stop at". This is the main reason my parents are even going on this cruise. I know iteneraries can change, but I'm not sure I buy the whole "not safe" thing. Is that true or just a bunch of crapolla???

What's going on in Key West?

What ship are you on? We were just there on the Rhapsody. I wouldn't say that it's not safe but to see all the homeless people and begging for money I would rather not go again. We gave more of our money away there then we spent.

Grandeur June 10. This is our itenerary: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruises.do;jsessionid=0000bBReZbPyndeRT4o5bqBiYVZ:vnkcfnbg?packageCode=GR09CBL2&sailDate=1050610

June 14 USED to be: Key West 7:00am - 2:00pm

Also, they aren't sure if they are going to let us off the ship at 7:00pm on the 14th. They said we might have to wait until 10:00am on the 15th to get off!!!:mad:

I had my glasses stolen at a public pool in Wichita Falls( my wife's family is from Lawton OK)-from out of my shoes-at least they didn;t steal the shoes. Homeless people don't make it unsafe. They go there because the weather is warm and the people hospitable.

Key West unsafe????????? I don’t live there. Been there a few times. Homeless people don’t scare me. The Key West Chickens (Roosters) I steer clear of.

There was a ‘little’ protest, a week or two ago, about too many cruise ships docking there. I’d be surprised if RCI even noticed.

Don’t drink too much & leave the chickens alone & I think you’ll be o.k.

Feb. is great in that area (GOM).

I had my glasses stolen at a public pool in Wichita Falls( my wife's family is from Lawton OK)-from out of my shoes-at least they didn;t steal the shoes. Homeless people don't make it unsafe. They go there because the weather is warm and the people hospitable.

I think you need to reread my post again! Never did I say that the homeless people made me or anyone else feel unsafe! I said I would not care to go there again because I would rather not be on vacation and be sad! I know the climate brings them there, I think if I were a homeless person I would go there as well.

As for your glasses being stolen, that is WF for ya! I am not from here, was brought here against my will by my military husband (Sheppard AFB). Trust me being in the arm pit of Texas is not where I want to be!

starq1 - Aren't there homeless people everywhere? Seems you made a choice to give your money away. That decision was yours.

Key West is a fabulous city! We love it there!

I think we need to find out what "not safe" in RCI language means. :confused:

You are correct, it was my chioce. Just stating a fact that it's where my money went!

Just as you say Key West is a "fabulous city" I have my own opinion and are entilted to it!

I think you need to reread my post again! Never did I say that the homeless people made me or anyone else feel unsafe! I said I would not care to go there again because I would rather not be on vacation and be sad! I know the climate brings them there, I think if I were a homeless person I would go there as well.

As for your glasses being stolen, that is WF for ya! I am not from here, was brought here against my will by my military husband (Sheppard AFB). Trust me being in the arm pit of Texas is not where I want to be!

I don't think I said you said that I just commented about homeless people not making a place unsafe. My point was things happen everywhere. I think the unsafe comment by the RCI person was uncalled for and actually the headline on this thread is misleading. I like Fort Sill, can't comment too much about Sheppard-never been there. Mostly I drive through WF on my way to or from Dallas.

I spent last week in Key West and a R.C. ship was in almost daily. I feel very safe there and able to walk from one side of the island to the other anytime of the day. I was never stopped by anyone asking for money. It is a great place other than a little cool and windy last week.

Alright now, this wasn't suppose to turn into a hate thread about homeless people.:rolleyes: I just want to know why I can't go there and why my dad can't go Tarpan Fishing. He's wanted to do that for YEARS and this was going to be his big chance. It's the only reason he agreed to go on this cruise.:(

I suppose it is possible there are too many ships that day - or Key West may have some maintenance work planned near the pier.

I would call RCCL back and ask again. Many times you get different answers - it all depends on who happens to pick up the phone.

Archived