transportation and hotel

medicgirl05

Hello. We have just book a cruise on the Disney Wonder for this November. Couple of questions. We plan on taking a cab from the Orlando airport to a hotel. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions that are close to the pier? Wondering as well how much a cab ride would be to go that distance. Are cabs readily available at Port Canaveral for when we get off the ship to go to the airport? Thanks for any advice.

taking a cab is going to cost you a small fortune as the port is 45 -60 min away from the airport. Prob at least 50-100 each way!!!! I'd look into renting a car at MCO and the port and driving yourselves. It's a straight shot on the expressway. I've rented from Budget in Port Canaveral and it went GREAT!!!! much cheaper also! The car rental places run shuttles frequently to/from the port and they're free.

i agree renting a car is cheaper than taking a taxi.

We like the Radisson Hotel at Cocoa beach. They even have a free shuttle to the port for you and then back again to the hotel if you have a car you can leave it there.

Also car rental agencies have shuttles to the port if you return the car during your cruise then rent again after the cruise so you dont have to pay parking.

Country Inn and Suites is also very nice, not sure if they ahve a shuttle.

both hotels are a 5 minute ride to the port.

Residence inn is a good one too.

You can look them up on line to see the amenities.

Last time we flew in the night before, spent the night at the Hyatt at OIA, then took the Disney bus to the port, and back again.

You can often get deals on line for the Hyatt and the DCL bus was $35 per person each way. Depending on how many are going this may be an option too.

They play a short film about the cruise with Mickey and friends and then cartoons to entertain you along the way. They will also get your luggage from your room and you will see it next outside your cabin. Just take carry on with you. Check in in the morning at the Hyatt is really easy and quick.

From now on that is what we will do. It worked great.

i agree renting a car is cheaper than taking a taxi.

We like the Radisson Hotel at Cocoa beach. They even have a free shuttle to the port for you and then back again to the hotel if you have a car you can leave it there.

Also car rental agencies have shuttles to the port if you return the car during your cruise then rent again after the cruise so you dont have to pay parking.

Country Inn and Suites is also very nice, not sure if they ahve a shuttle.

both hotels are a 5 minute ride to the port.

Residence inn is a good one too.

You can look them up on line to see the amenities.

Last time we flew in the night before, spent the night at the Hyatt at OIA, then took the Disney bus to the port, and back again.

You can often get deals on line for the Hyatt and the DCL bus was $35 per person each way. Depending on how many are going this may be an option too.

They play a short film about the cruise with Mickey and friends and then cartoons to entertain you along the way. They will also get your luggage from your room and you will see it next outside your cabin. Just take carry on with you. Check in in the morning at the Hyatt is really easy and quick.

From now on that is what we will do. It worked great.

not sure of the abbreviation OIA? what does that stand for?

TIA

Bill

OIA = Orlando International Airport

Their "official" airport designation code is MCO, which dates back to when the airport property was a US Air Force Base - - McCoy Air Force Base.

Hello. We have just book a cruise on the Disney Wonder for this November. Couple of questions. We plan on taking a cab from the Orlando airport to a hotel. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions that are close to the pier? Wondering as well how much a cab ride would be to go that distance. Are cabs readily available at Port Canaveral for when we get off the ship to go to the airport? Thanks for any advice.

We took our cruise this past January and actually rented a car from the airport and drove about 45 min to Cape Canaveral. If you're a AAA member, you can get some great deals with Hertz. I think we paid $42.00 (that was the total charge - tax included - only had to pay for gas the next morning which came to about $4.00 to fill it back up) for the one way rental and there were 4 of us. Plus it gives you accessibility to do things when you're in Cape Cananveral. After looking around at different hotels, I found a beautiful condo in a gated community right on the beach. When we broke it down by person, the rental was far less expensive than staying in a hotel and soooo much nicer! If something like that interests you, email me and I'll give you the contact person to get in touch with. The next morning, we loaded up the car, drove over to Hertz (which was about 2 miles from the condo), and they took us right over to the ship - very very easy!

You'll notice, if you're checking out pricing for rental cars, that coming back to Orlando from Cape Cananveral is alot more expensive than going. Because of that, we decided to use Ace Luxury Transportation for our trip back. It was less expensive and less hassle than trying to get the car returned back at the airport and run to catch our flight.

Happy planning (thats half the fun of going!) and have a wonderful trip!

OIA = Orlando International Airport

I would either utilize Disney's transportation to the port or rent a car as a taxi is going to cost a fortune.

Oh OK duh! I always called it MCO so I kept trying to figure out what OIA meant and couldn't.:o

Sort of like reading the Disney boards. Need a decoder ring for that board. lol

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

We are also going on a Nov Disney Cruise (Nov 11). I got a kids suite room on Priceline for $49 at the Country Inn & Suites Cape Canaveral for the night before the cruise. I got this tip off a different board. It was the first time I have ever used Priceline and I was nervous about not knowing which hotel I was getting until I got the offer accepted. But it worked great. I called CI&S after to ask about the room and was told all priceline rooms are the kids suites, 1 queen, 1 twin and twin bunk beds!! We are a family of 5 so that is perfect for us. I have heard good things about this place. When you go to priceline check out the Cape Canaveral hotels. CI&S is the only 2 1/2 star in Cape Canaveral, just make sure you don't choose "and area" it should only bring up one choice. Click on the name your own price, choose 2 1/2 stars and Cape Canaveral and name $49. You have to give your creditcard before an offer, if it is accepted it means you are booked, no changing it, so be careful what you click! I know some of the other offers didn't work and they even went up to $99, but it could have been the time of year they were going. And this includes breakfast and a shuttle to the ship.

We took our cruise this past January and actually rented a car from the airport and drove about 45 min to Cape Canaveral. If you're a AAA member, you can get some great deals with Hertz. I think we paid $42.00 (that was the total charge - tax included - only had to pay for gas the next morning which came to about $4.00 to fill it back up) for the one way rental and there were 4 of us. Plus it gives you accessibility to do things when you're in Cape Cananveral. After looking around at different hotels, I found a beautiful condo in a gated community right on the beach. When we broke it down by person, the rental was far less expensive than staying in a hotel and soooo much nicer! If something like that interests you, email me and I'll give you the contact person to get in touch with. The next morning, we loaded up the car, drove over to Hertz (which was about 2 miles from the condo), and they took us right over to the ship - very very easy!

You'll notice, if you're checking out pricing for rental cars, that coming back to Orlando from Cape Cananveral is alot more expensive than going. Because of that, we decided to use Ace Luxury Transportation for our trip back. It was less expensive and less hassle than trying to get the car returned back at the airport and run to catch our flight.

Happy planning (thats half the fun of going!) and have a wonderful trip!

nails62040, how did you like Ace transportation? I have them booked for my upcoming cruise in April. It's 9 of us and it was cheaper than the RCCL tranfers. Wondering if you were satisfied with their service.

We just returned this week from our Disney Cruise. We opted to fly in the day before so we stayed at the Radisson Port Canaveral. The hotel was older but clean and just a great experience. The kids LOVED the pool with the waterfall and fun shape. We booked their free shuttle service for an early arrival at the port and had no problems but it's so close, if there were, we could have just cabbed it.

As for transportation, this was our first experience not renting a car directly or taking Disney's service and we HIGHLY RECOMMEND Happy Limo. What a fabulous service! Since never using a "limo service", we were a bit wary as to whether the driver would be at the airport but there he was holding our sign when we came down the escalator. He parked underground so we snagged our bags and hopped right into the van. We stopped at a Publix with a liquor store next door so we picked up a few things before going to the hotel. On the return trip, they picked us up right at the curb (we were given the driver's cell number also). We all said we would use Happy Limo again in a heartbeat. We saved a little money over the Disney transportation and had no waits, no mass crowds, etc. Handling our luggage was a breeze. We love most things Disney but this will be our mode of transportation in the future!

Have Fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Their "official" airport designation code is MCO, which dates back to when the airport property was a US Air Force Base - - McCoy Air Force Base.

Always wondered why they used the MCO abbreviation. Now I know.

another vote for a rental car. We picked up our car from National the evening before our cruise. Drove up to see relatives for the night and drove to the port the next day, and the whole thing was considered a 1 day rental. No one way fees either.

Once we got to the port, my husband took the car back while my Mom the kids and I got through security, checked in, checked the kids in for the kids area. Gave us a great early start.

Archived