Stores Open on Easter?

CruzControl

We will be visiting St. Thomas on Easter Sunday and are hoping that the stores will be open. Has anyone been there on Easter? What types of businesses (if any) were open? We plan to buy our liquour on St. Thomas before we returned home, but are worried if we wait (this is our last stop), duty-free stores might be closed.

Thanks.

Hello CruzControl,

Sunday hours downtown are half day (& some smaller shops might choose not to open since its a holiday). Half day is usually until 1pm. Havensight hours are regular (open until 5pm) as long as there are ships docked there. So you will have an oppurtunity to shop.

One note, on Easter Day there are regulations on liquor sales... typically its that bars/restaurants can't sell until a certain time or open bottles can't be sold, I don't recall what the exact stipulations are.

--Islander

Thanks Islander for the advice you provide in all of your threads. It is very helpful!

We are not looking to drink alcohol at restaurants on Easter, but would like to buy our alcohol for friends and family in St. Thomas because customs allows us to bring more back from St. Thomas. I've read that on Good Friday bars cannot sell liquor until after 6pm. If this applies to Easter as well, do you know if this is a consumption regulation? Or does it prohibit any sale of liquor?

Because we arrive at St. Thomas at the end of our cruise, we do don't want to wait to buy our souvenirs in St. Thomas and find out it is too late.

Thanks for your help.

Hello CruzControl,

I applogize for saying Easter Sunday... it is indeed Good Friday that the liquor 'ban' applies to and usually as mentioned its at bars/restaurants and its typically all day long. I say usually... because it seems to vary in interpretation year to year :-).

You shouldn't have a problem buying closed bottles. I'll give the Havensight Association a call tommorrow and confirm the shopping areas hours on Easter Sunday and then perhaps a call to one of the liquor shops there to verify their ability to sell on that day. Stay tuned.

--Islander

Would you happen to know about Thanksgiving? We will be there then, and were hoping shops would be open. Since Thanksgiving really is a mainland USA holiday (in my mind) and not a religious affiliated holiday, didn't think it would matter much, but never know....

Haven't gotten the confirmation yet on Easter Sunday & alcohol sales - will follow up tommorrow.

Agridealer - we celebrate Thanksgiving here with turkey and all the fixings. If there are ships in port that day the shops will be open.

--Islander

Archived