Chukka Zipline and River Tubing Combo- What to Bring/Wear?!

pointybubble

I really want to do this excursion offered through Carnival in Ocho Rios but I can't seem to find a lot of information about it. I know it includes a bus ride to the zipline, then a ride down the river, a stop at the "Parrot Bar & Grill" and a gift shop. I really want to be prepared and I have had things stolen at ports before and am thus a bit worried about the security of my things.

- What can you bring with you on the zipline? Could I wear a backpack? If not, are there lockers available or do you leave your things in the vehicle you came in?

-What is appropriate attire- I read somewhere that you shouldn't wear really short shorts (chafing?) or flip-flops (hiking up to the zipline? or to prevent loss?).

- Can you change between the zipline and the tubing? Should we bother switching to swimsuits, or just wear what we wore to zipline, and just wear a swimsuit underneath the whole time?

- Water shoes- the site says to bring them. How important are these? We don't own any any, and investing in a pair for the DBF alone is expensive as he wears a men's size 15! The Carnival pictures show people riding bare foot as well :confused:

- What can you bring with you when tubing? Should I attempt to bring a backpack here, or are there lockers, or should it be stored in the bus/van?

Here is what I have figured out to pack so far:

- Money (for pictures, tipping, food etc)

- Waterproof Camera

- Towels

- Water shoes?

- Bug spray/ Sunscreen

Any other information would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 months later...
I really want to do this excursion offered through Carnival in Ocho Rios but I can't seem to find a lot of information about it. I know it includes a bus ride to the zipline, then a ride down the river, a stop at the "Parrot Bar & Grill" and a gift shop. I really want to be prepared and I have had things stolen at ports before and am thus a bit worried about the security of my things.

- What can you bring with you on the zipline? Could I wear a backpack? If not, are there lockers available or do you leave your things in the vehicle you came in?

-What is appropriate attire- I read somewhere that you shouldn't wear really short shorts (chafing?) or flip-flops (hiking up to the zipline? or to prevent loss?).

- Can you change between the zipline and the tubing? Should we bother switching to swimsuits, or just wear what we wore to zipline, and just wear a swimsuit underneath the whole time?

- Water shoes- the site says to bring them. How important are these? We don't own any any, and investing in a pair for the DBF alone is expensive as he wears a men's size 15! The Carnival pictures show people riding bare foot as well :confused:

- What can you bring with you when tubing? Should I attempt to bring a backpack here, or are there lockers, or should it be stored in the bus/van?

Here is what I have figured out to pack so far:

- Money (for pictures, tipping, food etc)

- Waterproof Camera

- Towels

- Water shoes?

- Bug spray/ Sunscreen

Any other information would be greatly appreciated!

Did you ever do this excursion? I am thinking of doing the same one and wondered if you ever found the answers to these questions.

Thanks!

We did not book through Carnival, we used Phil Lafayette who was recommended on this board. I would recommend him if you are looking for more of a tour experience rather than a pick-up-and-drop-off service.

We both wore our swimsuits with cover-ups and flip flops. We brought a bag with swim shoes, sunscreen, money, waterproof camera, and the carnival towels. We decided to skip the bug spray and I only got bit once and that was in Cozumel (on a nature trail), not Jamaica.

We did Dunn's first. We left all of our belongings in Phil's van. We left our cover-ups, so we just wore our swimsuits and water shoes, a little cash in a swim trunk pocket and carried the water camera. Phil had the tickets already and we gave him that amount before we left the van. There are lockers, should you feel you need to use them. We left towels in the van.

Dunn's was amazing. I was worried about the guides being pushy, but they weren't that bad, we were only told to hold hands for the first few minutes. After that, you were just supposed to follow the path they showed, but you didn't really have to. Water shoes are a MUST here, it is a little tougher than you think in some spots because you have a current pushing against you, and the traction helps. My DBF did NOT want to wear them, but I made him and he's glad that I did. He actually fell on one area and scraped up his knee pretty badly. The bottom of a lot of areas is also very rocky. Tiny rocks will probably find their way into your shoes, it is okay to take a break to empty them. The guides offer an area where you can slide, fall back, and take pictures. They will even take a picture for you, and so will the people in your group. Did not purchase pictures as they did not take any good ones and was not interested in the video.

At this point Phil took us to lunch, and then a few people back to the ship before going tubing. I don't know if the tubing site he used is the same as Carnival, but I kind of doubt it. We literally had the river to ourselves, just DBF and I, our guide, and one other small family. Again, we left everything in the van and just wore our swimsuits, water shoes, small amount of cash and water camera. We again left towels in the van.

The rafting was a lot of fun, our guide liked to sing to us while keeping us from getting caught on anything. I would not bring a backpack here...it would get wet. I don't know if this tubing site had lockers, since we didn't need them. I think water shoes are necessary for this because at some point they will stop you for a "break", this is where you can do a jump into the river if you want. Whether you jump or not, you will want the water shoes because the bottom of the river is very rocky and it would hurt to be barefoot getting out. The river jump is very intimidating, I though it would be too shallow but gave it a shot and the area was actually quite deep. There was also a swing above the river. Amazingly, in the middle of the jungle they had a computer station set up (with a really long extension cord?) so you could pick out what pictures you wanted to buy, so they could have them ready by the end (only $5 each, so we bought two of our jumps and one of us tubing).

We got back to the ship with about 20-30 minutes until all aboard, barely enough time to pick up a few souvenirs at the port gift shops, but we made it. I was quite nervous about missing the ship during tubing, but we had a lot of fun and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

To STURDERICK:

I just did the River tubing 2 weeks ago - the zipline is at the same place, but can't speak to those questions. I way overpacked for this excursion (and yes had to hear it from DH and kids). There are bathrooms (very clean) that you can change at. There are small lockers (very small) that you need $9 cash for (you get $5 of it back when you return the lock). Depending how much you take you will need 1 or 2 lockers.

we did take water shoes and were glad to have them. You could walk barefoot down to the tubes but when you end the tubing, you would then be barefoot on the bus riding back to the start. or I guess you could slip off your shoes, hold them in your lap and slip on when you get off the tube at the end.

no need for bug spray - they had some and sprayed us before we got on the tubes.

Be sure to have cash - especially for the lockers and tips for the guides. they do have a small gift shop and drinks and food to buy.

Most people wore their swimsuits under their clothes - I actually changed there but probably would have been easier to just wear.

Our biggest issue was that it was a fiasco getting off the Conquest in Jamaica, so we were late gettign to the pick up spot. The Carnival rep was useless and tried to tell me there would be a 25% cancellation fee, to which I replied no - it took us 45 minutes to get off their ship due to total dis-organization. but luckily the Chukka rep was there and she got us on another bus to go up to the site.

I wish we had done the zip lining - the tubing was nice and relaxing but doesn't last very long. Chukka does have a web site - you can find in thru web search.

jbh7,

Thanks for the information! Did you guys dock in Ocho Rios or Montego Bay? I was just wondering how long it took from the port to get there and how the ride was. I tried checking on a private tour but it was the same price as Carnival so I might just go ahead and go with Carnival in case we get back late. I think we are going to do both the zip and the tubing. I'm so glad for the information you provided. It helps a lot. Thanks again!

we were on Carnival and docked in Montego Bay. we were picked up at the terminal and it took maybe 15 to 20 minutes to get there. it was a pretty drive and the bus driver was great. given all the hassle we had with disembarkation, I would recommend going with Carnival in Jamaica. I believe they have separate excursions for Mo Bay vs. Ocho Rios. I have read that tubing is on different rivers depending which port you go into.

if you go to Grand Cayman - be sure to check out Moby Dick for stingray tours if you thinking of it. you can find the web site easily thru google.

let me know if any other questions.

Archived