$10 fee on visitors to the United States. (CDNs excepted)

C 2 C

The $10.00 is peanuts compared to calling your embassy. I had a question regarding my visa waiver... is it valid also for USVI? and another question I cant remember now. So I rang your embassy here was given a recorded message telling me for all inquiries call a certain number.

The number given is one of our charged numbers used mainly for competitions and so called adult chat lines. Charges are between $3.99 a minute and Up the person recieving the call sets the price after the phone supplier takes their cut the balance is paid to the reciever. You dont know how much sometimes until you get your bill. My son rang one for a competition we were charged an initial charge of $19.99 then $9.99 a week, till you cancel it, to remain in the draw. Our phone bill comes quarterly...get the picture.

But back to the point lets say its $5.00 per minute and your on the phone for 10 minutes sorting it out.... The $10.00 is nothing.

BY the way it was cheaper to ring your Homeland security in the States than call youe embassy here in Australia

Which is what he said figuratively when you said he was off-base: "Americans like the idea of foreigners paying a tax."

And that statement is going over about as well as the other recent generalization that all Europeans don't tip. You care to stick up for that one too???:rolleyes:

:D

And that statement is going over about as well...

I didn't realise that posters should only post what is 'popular.' Certainly it doesn't seem as though the US government is worried about that.

Given the nature of your response, you also apparently concede that what the poster wrote was correct, despite your earlier opposition. :D

But back to the point lets say its $5.00 per minute and your on the phone for 10 minutes sorting it out.... The $10.00 is nothing.

BY the way it was cheaper to ring your Homeland security in the States than call youe embassy here in Australia

Yeah, the US government clearly sees tourism as a fee provider, beyond the commercial benefits that it brings. There may well be other consulates that charge people $5/minute just to call them... but if there are they're absolutely in the minority.

The downside is that it does build resentment from and discourage other nationalities from visiting, and since the US doesn't operate in a vacuum globally isn't a good thing. If they're lucky every other consulate will start copying them and travellers would then just begrudgingly accept it. As it stands though, it just sends out a bad signal to all visitors that visiting the US is a costly experience and you'll be putting your hand in your pockets a lot. When travellers find it easier and more welcoming to visit elsewhere then that's what a number will do...

$10 is not a lot of money but how long befor it goes up to $20 then $30, $40 Etc Etc..... and it gives the prospective visitor a reason not to pick a visit to the USA if there is somewhere else they have in mind. If they want to encourage people to visit the country tax the people who benefit from the income generated not the people who are coming anyway.:confused:

Can anyone tell me how much visitors from UK spend in the USA a year?

And that statement is going over about as well as the other recent generalization that all Europeans don't tip. You care to stick up for that one too???:rolleyes:

:D

Are u seriously offended by that statement? Based on the statements you have made on this thread about Foreign countries and specifically Canadians (and their mechanical issues) I wouldn't think you would bat an eye. You obviously have very strong opinions about your country and tax levies on foreign countries being ok as long as it suits you, but anyone else should never make that kind of generalization! I personally think to stereotype an entire nation based on a few peoples actions is the highest form of ignorance but you seem to think that you represent your entire country. I am sure that "some" people from Canada may even disagree with me,,,,that's what we call democracy.

Archived