Save on Toiletry Items

I booked my cruise a year in advance, so instead of buying those travel size toiletries I emailed my favorite companies and signed up for samples on various websites. They sent me samples (travel size) and coupons for when I buy their full size items. I keep a drawer in my bathroom with all my samples so when we were packing for our cruise we just pulled from that drawer. There were only a couple of things I had to buy and because we're not taking full size items we're saving on room and on weight. Purex just sent me 2 of those new laundry sheets that have the laundry detergent and fabric softener in them. They are absolutely perfect for just in case I have to do laundry. Now I'll be able to buy more DOD with the money I saved! :D

I have refillable bottles. Since we take the same items whether we are gone one night or three weeks, it's great to have them packed and ready all the time.

Samples are great, free is even better. I know we always toss the tubes of toothpaste we get from the dentist into our travel kit. I don't hesitate to ask for samples of cosmetics from drug or department stores. Your hairstylist may have samples of shampoo/conditioner they will give out. My eye doctor will give me sample sizes of my contact lens solutions.

I rarely wear cologne, but will use a spritz from the onboard shops on formal night.

I think I may look into signing up on the Purex site :)

I have refillable bottles. Since we take the same items whether we are gone one night or three weeks, it's great to have them packed and ready all the time.

Samples are great, free is even better. I know we always toss the tubes of toothpaste we get from the dentist into our travel kit. I don't hesitate to ask for samples of cosmetics from drug or department stores. Your hairstylist may have samples of shampoo/conditioner they will give out. My eye doctor will give me sample sizes of my contact lens solutions.

I rarely wear cologne, but will use a spritz from the onboard shops on formal night.

I think I may look into signing up on the Purex site :)

I love free! Well, as long is it is something I'll use. Here is that website:

http://www.trypurex.com/Purex_3-in-1_Free_Sample/

Thanks for the tip. I just went online and ordered a bunch of free samples for my upcoming trip.

I booked my cruise a year in advance, so instead of buying those travel size toiletries I emailed my favorite companies and signed up for samples on various websites. They sent me samples (travel size) and coupons for when I buy their full size items. I keep a drawer in my bathroom with all my samples so when we were packing for our cruise we just pulled from that drawer. There were only a couple of things I had to buy and because we're not taking full size items we're saving on room and on weight. Purex just sent me 2 of those new laundry sheets that have the laundry detergent and fabric softener in them. They are absolutely perfect for just in case I have to do laundry. Now I'll be able to buy more DOD with the money I saved! :D

Where did you go to get free samples?

I usually go to my favorite companies website. I tell them I'm interested in their products and would like a sample. (through email or their "contact us" section)

Sometimes they send samples, sometimes they send coupons for full size items. Colgate sent me coupons for products from their Colgate/Polmalive Company plus a coupon for a free full size toothpaste.

Also sign up for their newsletters and emails. I'm always getting emails for samples. I follow myfrugaladventures.com, she posts links for samples all the time.

I have gone to Walmart.com and gotten samples from the website. They only offer a few each month or so, but free is free. I'e got Prilosec and conditions etc. I'd liket o know where to find more myself. Anyone?

Where do you find the samples on the Walmart website? I've never seen them and would love to find them! You can't beat free samples!

Where do you find the samples on the Walmart website? I've never seen them and would love to find them! You can't beat free samples!

When you go to Walmart.com, look to the left and go down to IN STORES NOW and then you should see the FREE SAMPLES in the list. I think they change them once a month or so. I've got samples of Tylenol PM , Prilocec, Female product, toothpaste, body wash...etc. There are just a few things a week. But, remember to check back.

I have a friend who was a Mary Kay lady and quit selling when she and her husband moved to a different state. She gave away a huge boxful of samples - perfume, small packets of lotion/moisturizer, and of course a lot of cosmetics. I especially like the single use eyeshadows - you can take a wide variety in just a little space. So if you know a Mary Kay (or Avon) lady you might want to ask them for some freebies.......

I also save my old contact lens cases instead of throwing them out and squirt a day's worth of styling gel/cream/whatever in each side - I use a few different products depending on the situation and this is the best way I have found to bring along a little bit of each.

Erin

When you go to Walmart.com, look to the left and go down to IN STORES NOW and then you should see the FREE SAMPLES in the list. I think they change them once a month or so. I've got samples of Tylenol PM , Prilocec, Female product, toothpaste, body wash...etc. There are just a few things a week. But, remember to check back.

Thanks! I ordered one today! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a difference between refillable bottles and non-refillable bottles? :confused:......

You can buy refillable bottles at Dollar tree. At ours they are close to the hairbrushes. I too use those and fill them up with my normal stuff from home. Ive saved a ton of money using those dollar store bottles. PLUS, I know how my hair will do,and that I wont break out from using a different soap or lotion.

When I bought some new makeup I got the free gift bag with it,Now I not only have a new makeup bag,but a small tub of eye cream,and face wash that works great for travel.The lipstick and blush were great bonuses too.

You can buy refillable bottles at Dollar tree. At ours they are close to the hairbrushes. I too use those and fill them up with my normal stuff from home. Ive saved a ton of money using those dollar store bottles. PLUS, I know how my hair will do,and that I wont break out from using a different soap or lotion.

When I bought some new makeup I got the free gift bag with it,Now I not only have a new makeup bag,but a small tub of eye cream,and face wash that works great for travel.The lipstick and blush were great bonuses too.

Thanks for explaining what these are - it's just a pity we don't have Dollar Tree stores where we live. They would be very handy because to get good value buying toiletries you have to buy larger sizes. We can buy travel sizes but they're not good value at all. These refillable would allow us to take what we need without overloading luggage. Airlines these days charge a fortune if you go over limit - and its usually the toiletries that push you over.

You can buy refillable travel size bottles at any drugstore, Target, or Walmart. I believe in these stores they are generally in the section that has all the travel-sized items. Look in the bins and you should find empty bottles. I bought mine at Rite-Aid. While they were a few pennies more than the Target/Walmart ones, they were MUCH better quality and will stand up to multiple uses and washes. They are great! Plus, they all come under the 3 oz travel size, so you can pack them in carry ons. I use them for every trip because my regular products are large.

Archived