Splendor boarding

aawheat

I was able to check in at the Splendor last May at 9am, and get into boarding group 1. We then drove down to Schooner or Later, a breakfast diner we saw on Diners, Drive-In's, and Dives, then ran to walmart, and boarded the ship with group 1 at noon. It was smooth and painless, and I'll do the same again in September when I cruise the Splendor again.

We checked in at 11:00 and the line just started to get long, and the line continued to get longer and longer. People were standing around their group number getting ready to board. We were in group 6 and did not board until 2:30 p.m. It was the worst embarkation we had ever had on a cruise. Plus, it was freezing cold outside. Being Platinum (VIP status), is the ticket as you get on board before anyone. We'll be 1 cruise away from that soon, and it won't be on the Splendor either! We had a great time, but the Splendor just isn't for us. :D

I was able to check in at the Splendor last May at 9am, and get into boarding group 1. We then drove down to Schooner or Later, a breakfast diner we saw on Diners, Drive-In's, and Dives, then ran to walmart, and boarded the ship with group 1 at noon. It was smooth and painless, and I'll do the same again in September when I cruise the Splendor again.

Is this checking in where you do all the sail and sign info and than you get your boarding zone? So you can just go at 9:00 or so and do all the check in stuff and come back??

Sounds like a good plan to me!

We just where on the splendor Feb 2010. I found the check in, painless, but time consuming. We showed up to the boat about 1 pm and got on by 2:30 pm or so.

If you show up around 12:30-1 you shouldn't have any issues. Just make sure you have a warm coat in arms if you are not use to long beach (from hawaii, so 55 was cold. :( )

~Nic

Edit: Thought you may find this thread interesting: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1154453

On it the OP said: Embarkation - a breeze

I arrived around 9:15am and a porter took my bags within a few minutes. I found out that you could go ahead and do the paperwork to get you sign and sail card so I was all set by 9:00am with my Group 1 card.

Just fyi. :)

Boarding normally starts around 12:15. First they let on weddings and VIP then they start the zones. We get to the port around 10:30 or 11:00 and we have gotten zone 2 or 3. A couple of weeks ago we were zone 2 and were on the ship about 12:40.

Is this checking in where you do all the sail and sign info and than you get your boarding zone? So you can just go at 9:00 or so and do all the check in stuff and come back??

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Yes, we checked in a 9am and got our sail and sign cards, and our group 1 boarding zone number. Then left, went to breakfast, ran errands, got back, and joined our group 1 zone that had been sitting by the number, and boarded within 15 minutes.

Now debarkation, a WHOLE different story! Worst I've ever been through, if you fly, you are pretty much out of luck with making your plane, but that's an entirely different thread!

We also had the worst embarkation and debarkation ever. Is this just with Splendor, or is it the same for Paradise ?

Pat

Our bad experience with debarkation was just with the Splendor. We never had problems with the Pride or the Paradise out of Long Beach.

I will be traveling with my 80 year old Mom. If we get to the peir around 11am is there seating for her? What about getting her off the ship and getting out bags. How do I request a wheelchair?? help I am worried. Thanks

Have you emailed special needs yet? Our 3yo has autism. They are giving up priority boarding for him. They do the same with anyone with a disability. If they know mom is coming, they will likely have a chair ready for her.

guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com

I will be traveling with my 80 year old Mom. If we get to the peir around 11am is there seating for her? What about getting her off the ship and getting out bags. How do I request a wheelchair?? help I am worried. Thanks

Does she have trouble getting around? Ships are big even for those without mobility issues. Have you considered renting a scooter if she needs one- my mom had a great time with hers and was able to get around great on board. Special services can tell you how to go about it.

Thanks for the information. I called my TA and asked her to call the cruise line to get a wheel chair, to get her on and off the ship. I think she will be fine on the ship with her cane. I am just worried about getting her on and off the ship. I am sure it will all work out.

• 2 weeks later...

we disembarked off the Splendor last week (Mar14). We were not out through customs until almost 11:45am. We had time before our flight so walked around the Marina in Long Beach. It was after 1:30 pm and no passengers had even started to embark yet.....don't know if it due to Spring break or not but that would be a long wait if you arrived at the port early.

We got on the Splendor on 3/14 and it was late. Someone from Carnival said it was because of the time change to daylight savings time. We pulled up at 11:15 and people were still getting off the ship. We we disembarked on the 21, they were in no hurry to get anyone off the ship!!! The self-assist didn't get started until 9ish and the rest of us did not start getting off until 10:30. It was pretty quick once you got through the lobby. Out the door in about 25 minutes.

Archived