Shopping in Nassau and/or Freeport

MrsP_29

What are some of the "must have" items to buy when in Nassau and/or Freeport? This will be our first cruise and I'm curious what items people tend to buy - other than souvenirs.

shopping-logo-tss.jpg

Whatever you get suggested to you to buy just know that Nassau is a better bet than Freeport for shopping. Nassau you are docked right in town where all the shopping is. Freeport is in the middle of an industrial dock (where a lot of refurbishements are done) and you can't walk to the regular shops you have to cab it.

What are some of the "must have" items to buy when in Nassau and/or Freeport? This will be our first cruise and I'm curious what items people tend to buy - other than souvenirs.

We'll soon know the answer, as we'll be in both ports next week!

Our last stop in Nassau --- 5 years ago now --- I did not find the shopping particularly outstanding but maybe that has changed. I found this to be the case in most of the Caribbean ports we have visited. If you think about it, very little is manufactured locally, so everything has to be priced to include shipping to the islands. Thus, even "duty free" pricing is not that much different than stateside.

Still, shopping is always fun and there are some really unique things if you research enough -- like the really cool apparel at the Carib Batik shop/factory on St. Kitts.

Finally, I can tell you that the bigger purchases we made on cruises --- a fine watch and 2 tanzanite rings -- were no cheaper than we would have found here -- but the selection was far better. Just don't feel too badly if you get home and discover you paid too much (exception here of course being booze and cigarettes, neither of which I buy unless its a gift).

shopping-logo-tss.jpg

Is there anything a little more specific that they are noted for to buy at either port? i was wondering the same thing.

We bought some delicious honey in the shopping area at the port. I'll be bringing back more on our next trip. And yes, honey from different locations all have their own unique flavors. We also liked the honey purchased in Bermuda.

Some favorites are:

Rum Cakes

Pineapple/Guanva Jams and Jelly

Hot sauces and spices

Androsia Batik

Hand made soaps

Androsia Batik (www.androsia.com)

Conch jewelry

Plaited Baskets, placemats, coasters etc (the Plait lady)

Flavored Rum

Artwork

Wood Carvings (outside Straw market)

Coins (coins of the realm)

Tiles and ceramics (decorative, not building) http://jessicastileworks.com/souvenirs/ceramic%20souvenirs.html

Stay away from the straw market if you want authentic bahamian wares.

Scubagirl, where is/are the best place(s) to find some of the items that you listed? TIA!

Rum Cakes - MOST Liquor stores and souvenier shops, There is also a Rum cake shop downtown near port. Not hard to find.

Pineapple/Guanva Jams and Jelly - Souvenier shops, Island shop, all around town.

Hot sauces and spices - Same as Above.

Androsia Batik - Tommy bahamas, other souvenier shops (www.androsia.com)

Hand made soaps - Festival Place - http://www.alisonfhamilton.com/festivalplace.htm

Conch jewelry - Festival place

Plaited Baskets, placemats, coasters etc (The Plait lady - Victoria and bay or Marina Village)

Flavored Rum - All liquor stores, they are on every corner.

Artwork - Souvenier shops, island shop, on the wharf

Wood Carvings (outside Straw market)

Coins (coins of the realm)

Tiles and ceramics (decorative, not building) - Prince George Plaza. http://jessicastileworks.com/souveni...souvenirs.html

I like to buy PURSES at the straw market!!

Don't waste your money on a rum cake, you can make the same thing at home for a FRACTION of the cost. Just do so samples so you can see the variety, but what they charge 7-8.00 for I could make 12 big rum cakes

Freeport is blah for shopping

Some favorites are:

Conch jewelry

i got bracelets when i was there in january...i was going to say Conch too....would LOVE to bring home some of those BEAUTIFUL shells...but to big and no way to get home in one piece....i have some i got that date back from the 1960s that i actually got myself on the island of GUAM...they are such a BEAUTIFUL shell. i got my bracelets right inside as you are coming/going to the ship.

Archived