HELP!!! need advice on cabin above the new Spinnaker Lounge on the Star?

ronandot

We are considering splurging for our 20th anniversary and have a hold on cabin 8172 (an aft facing penthouse suite) through the end of the day today for the April 25th sailing. I have heard that the new configuration of the Star puts us directly above the relocated Spinnaker Lounge. Has anyone sailed with cabins above lounges in the past? Do they consider the fact that there are cabins above and insulate accordingly? I thought we had found the perfect compromise between a very expensive Princess suite and a slightly higher Royal Caribbean Grand Suite even though the Star cruise is a day shorter. Most people rave about the aft facing suites and the amenites that come with them on NCL but being above the lounge makes me a little nervous. No other suite options at this late date except the Garden Villa which isn't an option for us :D What do you guys think? Thanks in advance

Our room on the Spirit was under the game room,all we could hear was the kids running all over we hated it but, you are talking about a penthouse suite and you said there its the last one, I would go for it. Enjoy your 20th anniversary.

Our room on the Spirit was under the game room,all we could hear was the kids running all over we hated it but, you are talking about a penthouse suite and you said there its the last one, I would go for it. Enjoy your 20th anniversary.

And of course, a big difference being UNDER vs being OVER.

We had 9500 once which is about 4 decks above the main theater. You wouldn't think we'd hear anything but every night about midnight, we'd have terrible clunking sounds - something like chains. We thought it was from the theater but never did find out, although we were comped dinner at LeBistro for the inconvenience.

I say to "go for it!".

We were above the red lion on the Star. Wasn't so loud that we were bothered but if we were in the room when the evening entertainer was singing, we definitely could hear him. It was okay because he was good. If you plan to be out in the evening at the club, I would think no problem. If you plan to spend evenings in the suite, maybe a problem for you.

I personally would go for it. Sounds like a great time.

J9

I have no idea how they have set things up in the new Bliss on the Star. I can say on the Pearl, Jade, and Gem none of the passengers in the deck 8 AEs had any issue with noise. Part of those cabins is in fact over the promenade and the rest for the most part over the backstage area of Bliss.

The only reports of noise on the other ships were from a few of the aft inside cabins that ended up directly over the disco speakers and that was the bass rumble. Noticeable but not loud.

Nobody knows how much sound proofing they added on the Star with this quick conversion. I would keep the cabin. If there is any noise at all just crack the balcony door open and the white noise of the wake will cover anything ;)

I honestly think you will be OK. I have rarely read on CC where anyone had a problem with a lot of noise being above a club or bar on a NCL ship. Of course there are always issues here and there, but I really believe you will be OK. You will LOVE being aft in one of the penthouse suites, I promise. We have been in 9232 twice and it is our favorite suite we have had so far. 8-)

We had 9500 once which is about 4 decks above the main theater. You wouldn't think we'd hear anything but every night about midnight, we'd have terrible clunking sounds - something like chains. We thought it was from the theater but never did find out, although we were comped dinner at LeBistro for the inconvenience.

I say to "go for it!".

DS is sitting here (he's the Tech Supervisor in the theatre) so I asked him how that would be possible and he said that there is a flybar area going up to deck 9 that the backdrops/ flying sets are hung in above the stage. The bars are connected by cables to the bottom of deck 9 and they run thru pulleys which are connected to winches on deck 8. So the chain noises are being transferred when they are doing set change and pulling sets up into the fly area or dropping them down for the next days show.

DS is sitting here (he's the Tech Supervisor in the theatre) so I asked him how that would be possible and he said that there is a flybar area going up to deck 9 that the backdrops/ flying sets are hung in above the stage. The bars are connected by cables to the bottom of deck 9 and they run thru pulleys which are connected to winches on deck 8. So the chain noises are being transferred when they are doing set change and pulling sets up into the fly area or dropping them down for the next days show.

Wow! That's great to know! Can you ask him if they have a similar setup on the Spirit. We're a forward AB in about a month. Thanks!

Wow! That's great to know! Can you ask him if they have a similar setup on the Spirit. We're a forward AB in about a month. Thanks!

You will not have a problem with theatre sounds as the theatre is in the aft on the Spirit. Enjoy your AB!

Went ahead and booked about a week ago and just yesterday, another poster commented that a couple staying in the same suite we will be in above the new Spinnaker had some issues with noise and were eventually relocated to a mini and offered OBC. I am wondering if anyone else out there may have been on board the Star last week experienced or heard of any issues with cabins (8th deck aft) that are now above Spinnakers? I realize this is a very narrow search for information but felt it was worth asking. Thanks for your help!

Archived