I went on my first cruise!

SheriAZ

Carnival Spirit to Mexico 8 days

I loved it and had a great time. No complaints about staff, service, everyone was wonderful. Room was great, plenty of storage,

I'm not sure I'm meant to cruise though. The sea sick medicines made me so tired I missed all the night life. The water was rough on the way home, I had to lie down most of the last two days. I knew it might happen, had hoped it wouldn't. (I used wrist bands bonine dramamine and ginger).

I'm grateful for this board, as I was prepared and not nervous or confused about anything.

So, do you think you'll do it again? I was TERRIBLY seasick the first day of my first cruise, but my 9th cruise is coming up next month so it obviously didn't damper my cruising spirit. I also use Bonine, wrist bands and ginger and except for a short bout on my third cruise I haven't had any problems. The reason I got sick on my third cruise was because on the second I didn't have any problems at all so I let my guard down on the third! Now I take everything just in case and haven't had any problems since. But I certainly understand...when you're seasick you just want to die and get it over with!

I'm glad to hear you had a great time in spite of your seasickness.

The meds might not be the only culprit for making you tired ... this may seem weird, but I have found that the sea air just takes it out of me. Seriously, no meds, no drinking, and no extra meals and I'm ready to go to bed at 9 PM.

I loved it and had a great time. No complaints about staff, service, everyone was wonderful. Room was great, plenty of storage,

I'm not sure I'm meant to cruise though. The sea sick medicines made me so tired I missed all the night life. The water was rough on the way home, I had to lie down most of the last two days. I knew it might happen, had hoped it wouldn't. (I used wrist bands bonine dramamine and ginger).

I'm grateful for this board, as I was prepared and not nervous or confused about anything.

The dramamine was probably the main culprit.. and.. like the other guy said could be the sea air too. My dh sleeps a lot on the cruise, takes an afternoon nap so he can do something in the evening.. but that's part of his idea of vacation.. he works hard.. and the cruise is the most relaxing vacation he's had.. no driving.. no vaction planning worries.. so he takes it easy. Some use a behind the ear patch from the doctor.. I wonder if it might work better for you?

Sheri,

Sorry to hear about the sea sickness. That is one thing that you really can't anticipate...some people are badly affected but others have no trouble with it.

I am glad to hear that you did have a great time. You asked very intelligent questions and hopefully I was of help to you.

I do have two questions. What surprised you the most? And while the seasickness was the worst, what was the best experience?

Linkerbink, I'm not sure if I would go again. I am much more open to it after reading your post.

Fred, not sure what I liked best. My first thought is that everyone is so friendly on the ship, both passengers and staff. I loved the sound of the water, and I won't complain about not having to do anything but have fun. I can't say I had any real surprises as I read this board for 18 months before I sailed. I had been on a ship once for a wedding, so kind of knew what to expect. You were helpful, and I appreciate it.

Goldmoon, I did try the patch once, it gave me double vision. I tried something new this time. I work for a homeopathic Dr. he gave me an acupuncture seed. It's for nausea. Literally a little seed on a tiny bandaid. While I did feel bad, I never felt like throwing up,

Welcome home, Sheri! I'll be going on my first cruise, but I've experienced motion sickness on speedboats and plane rides. I'm taking my Dramamine before bed and just sleeping in, then eating ginger chews and maybe taking some ginger pills throughout the day.

I'm glad you had an awesome cruise.

Maybe trying a differant route such as the Carribeans will be better. I have heard that waves are very choppy on the Western cruises. I haven't taken a cruise from the West coast. I cruise from the East coast.

I might also add that if you use the Bonine, or Dramamine at night instead of the day time it can be a little better. While i never got sick my daughter did (35 yrs old). So i got her wrist bands and made her take stuff at night and by the 3rd day she was better off. I used Ginger Root capsuales during the day, which does not make you groggy. They are over the counter.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. But don't stop now:eek: ;)

You also might try a larger ship. The Spirit is actually pretty small by today's standards. Larger ships don't get toss around as easily, because the have more mass. Plus I hear they often have better stablizers. You'll still feel rocking, but it will be slower.

If you loved cruising then just go see the doctor before your next cruise for the patch.

Also like someone suggested, a larger ship and calmer waters.

Our first cruise was on a large ship to the caribbean. There was only a couple of times I felt like I was even on the water. Very, Very, Smooth.

This cruise was to the Mexican revieria on medium sized ship. I felt the waters on the first night and was also rough comming back on the last day. I have no problem with motion sickness, but the first night made me think that there was a possibility for it.

Where you are cruising to and what you are cruising on make a big difference!

I didn't realize the Spirit was considered a small ship. it seemed big to me! But thanks for telling me, I can now hope for another cruise! Also glad to hear the carribean has calmer water. Thank you so much!

We're doing a western Caribbean cruise on the Oasis in March. We're on the 9th deck in the middle. It seems like this combination will increase my odds of not getting sick, but just wondering if other more seasoned cruisers agree.

I'm very prone to motion sickness, so I plan to take a prescription medication at bedtime as has been suggested and will likely also try ginger supliments for the day.

Kinda worried about my wife. She is different than most people when it comes to motion sickness.

The rocking and boncy movements in vehicles boats etc helps her! Thats right helps her.

The smooth cant feel your moving motion makes her motion sick. Example, in her moms car, her mom drives smooth and always windows up adn you cant feel your moving. She gets sick.

In my truck its bouncy and jerky when I drive adn she is fine.

So if we are on a cruiseship that is smooth I am hoping that doesnt make her sick!

I don't get nauseous, but I get a headache on the first day. I've never been able to decide if it's travel stress or movement, but I've often wondered if it was my inner ear complaining about the movement.

On the other hand, I sleep more on the ship, too and I don't take any medications at all. I think it's the gentle rocking motions (the Heavenly beds on the Carnival ships don't hurt, either). That, and the fact that I'm on vacation.

I didn't realize the Spirit was considered a small ship. it seemed big to me! But thanks for telling me, I can now hope for another cruise! Also glad to hear the carribean has calmer water. Thank you so much!

Yes to all the above. You might also try really tart green apples. They are all over the ship for just that purpose. Do you get sea sick when you are inside the ship or out side or both? I get really sea sick, but it often gets better if I get outside and can see the horizon and let the fresh air blow in my face. ;)

Archived