Did you buy photo book on board... how'd it look?

markstudy

We just got off the Golden Princess. I am almost finished with my book.

That's cool that you and your sister both made books. I checked my text twenty/thirty times, and still found one typo when it was all finished and printed :D Oh well.

My wife talked me into buying the book on the ship, I didn't think we could make a good book, but it really was as easy as they said it would be. (I had originally thought I was just going to have some photos from the trip to jazz up my Facebook page, but I ended up with a great keepsake). So its a pleasure sharing my experience with PanRaven.

Its funny, I'm back at Cruisecritic planning my next trip, and this thread is still going. Maybe we can get a few more people to post links to their books when they are finished. I think its fun seeing folks trip photos.

Mark,

My first cruise was to Alaska on July 10th got off the ship on July 17th and I'm already planning my next cruise.

We are going on the Mexican Riviera Cruise in March on the Sapphire and now I KNOW what kind of pictures I want to make sure and get for my next BOOK...because I WILL be getting another book! We want to make sure and get a LOT of group photos! It seems in our group photos there was always a group member missing from the pic because they were taking it. But now we know that the crew is more than happy to take pictures of your group for you!

We've learned a lot on our first cruise now we can't wait to use what we learned on our 2nd! Woohoooo Mexico here we come!

Mark,

My first cruise was to Alaska on July 10th got off the ship on July 17th and I'm already planning my next cruise.

We are going on the Mexican Riviera Cruise in March on the Sapphire and now I KNOW what kind of pictures I want to make sure and get for my next BOOK...because I WILL be getting another book! We want to make sure and get a LOT of group photos! It seems in our group photos there was always a group member missing from the pic because they were taking it. But now we know that the crew is more than happy to take pictures of your group for you!

We've learned a lot on our first cruise now we can't wait to use what we learned on our 2nd! Woohoooo Mexico here we come!

OMG! You are way ahead of me! Our cruise was July 5th and I'm still sorting through photos to delete the bad ones. Not even close to building our book! :eek:

Does anyone know if they really turn it off in 3 months? Royal Caribbean didn't have any set time limit. I ordered my book 6 months after my cruise with them.

Mark

I have just about finished my Alaska - Sea Princess 10th July cruise book (bought after seeing your post earlier) and wanted to pick your brains on blank inside cover pages

I have assummed my front page will be on the hard cover - is that correct?

I then wanted to have a blank double page, just like in any hardback book that you buy - do I have to include them as in yours you don't seem to have.

I will put a link up to mine when it is finished - that way someone else may spot a typo before I press "print"

thanks for your help

Julie

OMG! You are way ahead of me! Our cruise was July 5th and I'm still sorting through photos to delete the bad ones. Not even close to building our book! :eek:

Does anyone know if they really turn it off in 3 months? Royal Caribbean didn't have any set time limit. I ordered my book 6 months after my cruise with them.

If you need more than three months, just e-mail CS at Panraven and they will give you more time. As Markstudy said, I found their online CS to be very helpful. I always got a response within 24 hours and when I had technical problems because I was using Windows Vista, they had a helpful solution. I had one typo, too, even after proofing it many times, but I'm very pleased with the final product! I highly recommend this as a great way to remember your cruise.

Mark

I have just about finished my Alaska - Sea Princess 10th July cruise book (bought after seeing your post earlier) and wanted to pick your brains on blank inside cover pages

I have assummed my front page will be on the hard cover - is that correct?

I then wanted to have a blank double page, just like in any hardback book that you buy - do I have to include them as in yours you don't seem to have.

I will put a link up to mine when it is finished - that way someone else may spot a typo before I press "print"

thanks for your help

Julie

Julie - The front cover has a cut out window so that your first page can be seen through the front cover. If you want blank pages, it should go AFTER the first page. I hope that makes sense. Panraven has a picture of the outside of the book here:

http://www.panraven.com/product/merch.html

If you need more than three months, just e-mail CS at Panraven and they will give you more time. As Markstudy said, I found their online CS to be very helpful. I always got a response within 24 hours and when I had technical problems because I was using Windows Vista, they had a helpful solution. I had one typo, too, even after proofing it many times, but I'm very pleased with the final product! I highly recommend this as a great way to remember your cruise.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll do that!!

Julie - The front cover has a cut out window so that your first page can be seen through the front cover. If you want blank pages, it should go AFTER the first page. I hope that makes sense.

I spent a little time trying to pick between the 3 covers- cut-out, dust jacket, or the cover photo printed directly on the book.

I made my book with a standard dust jacket. I liked the cut-out window or die-cut option (what ever they call it?), but the dust jacket cover is very glossy and thick paper...and I liked the way it looks more like a standard book, instead of a photo album.

I spent a little time trying to pick between the 3 covers- cut-out, dust jacket, or the cover photo printed directly on the book.

I made my book with a standard dust jacket. I liked the cut-out window or die-cut option (what ever they call it?), but the dust jacket cover is very glossy and thick paper...and I liked the way it looks more like a standard book, instead of a photo album.

I didn't even know that was an option! I still prefer the cut-out window but it's good to know the options are there!

O.K., now I'm a little confused. Is the first page, my cover page? If I choose a window cover then do I need to make sure my first page picture lines up with the window? How do I know what the measurements of the window?

Right now, I have bigger problems. I have 3 more days, to do, and I have already used 102 pages :eek:

O.K., now I'm a little confused. Is the first page, my cover page? If I choose a window cover then do I need to make sure my first page picture lines up with the window? How do I know what the measurements of the window?

Right now, I have bigger problems. I have 3 more days, to do, and I have already used 102 pages :eek:

If you look at the page templates for 1 photo, there is a template for the cut-out window. It's a medium-sized landscape photo in the middle of the page with space for you to type underneath it.

I feel your pain. We got up to the max of 110 pages for our Med cruise! During the whole time, I tried to keep up with limiting the # of pages for each day to make sure we stay at 110 or lower.

Not sure how the window cover page works, but with PanRaven everything was very easy, fool proof, and automatic. My guess is that when you get to the "order book" stage, they ask what cover you want and you add the photo to your selected cover, the rest is automatic. Its just funny that they put the cover selection in at the end along with the ordering procedure.

I think my book went 150 pages.... the hardest part was sticking to 100 pages.... so I just didn't even try :D

Not sure how the window cover page works, but with PanRaven everything was very easy, fool proof, and automatic. My guess is that when you get to the "order book" stage, they ask what cover you want and you add the photo to your selected cover, the rest is automatic. Its just funny that they put the cover selection in at the end along with the ordering procedure.

I think my book went 150 pages.... the hardest part was sticking to 100 pages.... so I just didn't even try :D

Hum, I think they know that it is impossible to stick to the 100 pages included in the package deal on the ship ;). Your right, at this point, what ever amount of pages I end up with, I'll just have to except. After all, with all the money I spent on this cruise, the amount for this fabulous book of memories is nothing :D

Those of you that have complete the album and received it back, can you tell me if you wrote text, everywhere it asked for it? I was wondering if I didn't write any text in the text box, if it would show an actual empty text box or just remove the text box completely. There were some text boxes that I really didn't want to write anything. Thank you.

CALMOM - if you leave a text box blank, the space will just be blank on the page. There is no empty box. On most of my pages, I just filled in one caption no matter how many photos there were. :)

It showed that on the view but I wasn't sure. When you have several pictures on a couple of pages, you don't want to say " Glacier in Hubbard Bay, another glacier in Hubbard Bay ", LOL Thanks for your help. Have you finished your album yet? I have placed all the pictures but need to go back, add text and edit some of the pictures. I have 144 pages and that was cutting out about 37 pages :eek:

It showed that on the view but I wasn't sure. When you have several pictures on a couple of pages, you don't want to say " Glacier in Hubbard Bay, another glacier in Hubbard Bay ", LOL Thanks for your help. Have you finished your album yet? I have placed all the pictures but need to go back, add text and edit some of the pictures. I have 144 pages and that was cutting out about 37 pages :eek:

I haven't started my photo book yet! I'm hoping to start picking photos tomorrow. I'm speaking from my experience making my book for my Med cruise.

I thought the limit was 110 pages for any Panraven photo book. Is that no longer true?

CruisinGoddess, I know the page limit is no longer 110. If I remember right you can do up to 180 or 200.

On another note for those who have an upcoming cruise; take LOTS of photos around the ship. The stock ship photos are fine, but it's really nice to take your own photos of your favorite places around the ship, with or without your family in them. I found myself with lots of dining and pool photos and wished I'd taken more around the ship itself. I'm also a fan of using photos of some of our favorite foods; those add punch and interest to your dining pages if you have any.

I haven't started my photo book yet! I'm hoping to start picking photos tomorrow. I'm speaking from my experience making my book for my Med cruise.

I thought the limit was 110 pages for any Panraven photo book. Is that no longer true?

You can have up to 200 pages but it would cost you $99 for the additional 100 pages.

You can have up to 200 pages but it would cost you $99 for the additional 100 pages.

Yeah, what a deal! That dollar per extra page puts me into edit mode and being way more selective about photos!! I went a few ppages over and thought it was a great seal all around.

Hi,

I just found this thread and while I haven't read all the posts I thought I would say that we have completed our book from a South Pacific cruise - our book is 182 pages long - I put all sorts of stories and comments in it and it's wonderful! Well worth it - it's like publishing your own coffee table book. Well worth the money and so much better than just a regular photo album. I plan to do this for all subsequent cruises.

Just MHO

Cheers,

yaya

Hi,...we have completed our book from a South Pacific cruise - our book is 182 pages

We've seen a few books from the Caribbean and Alaska on this thread as examples.... I'd love to see what a book from the South Pacific looks like?

Anyone can post a link to their book if they want (I understand if its too private to post in public) but I thought I'd mention it. :)

Thanks for letting me know!

Yeah, what a deal! That dollar per extra page puts me into edit mode and being way more selective about photos!! I went a few ppages over and thought it was a great seal all around.

It IS a deal with Princess. Royal Caribbean doesn't have any deals with Panraven so I paid full price for my Med cruise book. It was $130 for 110 pages+shipping! It was still worth it but this Princess deal is awesome!!

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. I finally finished my album, got it down to 145 pages and it was tough. I see that I can choose from 3 different cover types: Die Cut Window, Photo Wrap and Dust Jacket.

Does anyone know which is included in the ship special that I purchased? I understand the Die Cut Window but I am unclear on the Photo Wrap and Dust Jacket. They look the same and the description says about the same.

Can anyone give me a little better description or which one you recommend?

Thanks, especially Mark, I really appreciate all your help.

O.K. I finally finished my album, got it down to 145 pages and it was tough. I see that I can choose from 3 different cover types: Die Cut Window, Photo Wrap and Dust Jacket.

Does anyone know which is included in the ship special that I purchased? I understand the Die Cut Window but I am unclear on the Photo Wrap and Dust Jacket. They look the same and the description says about the same.

Can anyone give me a little better description or which one you recommend?

Thanks, especially Mark, I really appreciate all your help.

Calmom,

You can have either of the 3 covers with your purchase. It acts as though you have only one with the purchase when actuality all 3 are available for the price you paid.

I ordered the Photo Wrap choice. I have not received my book yet but it should be in any day now. My sister received hers today and we ordered on the same day. She also ordered the Photo Wrap! She said that it's a glossy type finish on the book kind of like coffee table books you would purchase in a store. She said she is very pleased with the book and it looks very professional. I did not realize that you could change the picture on the cover when you are placing the order. The reason I'm saying this...the picture you choose on the Photo Wrap that's on the cover will also be the first page of the book....so you see the same picture on the cover and then on the first page. If you choose the Photo Wrap either change the cover photo or change the first page photo so it won't be repeated one after another. Hope that makes sense!

Archived