Bunk Bed Problem Solved!!

ekatiel

We just got back from the Conquest yesterday, and I wanted to share how we solved our bunk bed issues with our two preschool boys. Both of them are CRAZY sleepers, so I had read on here somewhere that you can use the food trays from the lido deck to line the bunks and create a railing of sorts. It worked like a charm (thank you to whomever suggested it!). It took 6 trays for each bunk (one at the top and bottom of the bunk and 4 on the sides). The bunks were linded completely, and there was NO WAY the kids were falling out. We all had a great cruise, and no one fell out of bed! --Katie

We just got back from the Conquest yesterday, and I wanted to share how we solved our bunk bed issues with our two preschool boys. Both of them are CRAZY sleepers, so I had read on here somewhere that you can use the food trays from the lido deck to line the bunks and create a railing of sorts. It worked like a charm (thank you to whomever suggested it!). It took 6 trays for each bunk (one at the top and bottom of the bunk and 4 on the sides). The bunks were linded completely, and there was NO WAY the kids were falling out. We all had a great cruise, and no one fell out of bed! --Katie

LMAO, you totally should have taken a picture of this :D

Just keep in mind that not all ships have trays in the restaurants anymore, so if you are thinking of using this technique, double check that they are available on the ship that you are going on.

I'm filing that info away for the next time we cruise-- Do you happen to know which ships no longer have trays?

LMAO, you totally should have taken a picture of this :D

I actually meant to take a picture, but then forgot with all the fun cruise stuff going on!

you could also have the little ones in the lower beds and the paretns on the buck beds:) my father who is 57 slpet on the buck bed lol what a site

LOL! Too hard to cuddle in top bunks on separate sides of the room :rolleyes:!! Besides, my boys would have fallen out of the regular beds!! Last Summer, we were at a hotel where we requested (and received) bed rails on the boys' bed. In the middle of the night, we heard a thunk. I got up and started searching around the sides of the bed for the fallen child. I FINALLY found him-- he had fallen out the END of the bed!! That's why we lined those trays up ALL AROUND the boys' beds this time! --Katie

I'm filing that info away for the next time we cruise-- Do you happen to know which ships no longer have trays?

Katie

Carnival does have trays. Holland America & Princess no longer have trays.

These are the ones I know of.

If your ship does not have trays, I saw a picture of someone (crusinmama 06 I think) who had the mattress from the upper bunk placed on the floor when the room was turned down at night;)

Even if your ship no longer has trays in the restaurants; room service and the galley would still have trays. You could ask your room steward or a restaurant manager to help you out.

Great thread...

We cruise in 45 days w/our 3 and 6 year old girls. We will use the couch and upper as bunks. I will definately keep the trays in mind if they are needed!!!!!! They are currently arguing as to who gets the top bunk, I vote the 6 yr old, but I guess we'll see..

thanks so much for sharing this info....probably the best info i've read on here :)

Great thread...

We cruise in 45 days w/our 3 and 6 year old girls. We will use the couch and upper as bunks. I will definately keep the trays in mind if they are needed!!!!!! They are currently arguing as to who gets the top bunk, I vote the 6 yr old, but I guess we'll see..

thanks so much for sharing this info....probably the best info i've read on here :)

We used the top bunk as a daily reward for good behavior with our two boys (age 5 & 8 at the time). :D I do understand your reluctance to let your 3 year old sleep in the bunk though. Some bunks are configured over a bed whereas others are over a sofa so if they do tumble out, the bed would be a safer thing to break their fall. (This is assuming that you didn't get the trays.) As well, some bunks can seem fairly high up off the floor. I would reserve the decision until you actually see the layout of the cabin.

I just wanted to say thanks for this suggestion! We are just back from Carnival Legend and used the tray idea for our 8 year old. He is used to sleeping in a upper bunk, but there was a 1 foot gap between the head of his bed and the wall. We put a tray at the head of the bed so he would not end up pushing his pillow off onto his brother below (by accident or on purpose :))!

• 1 month later...
If your ship does not have trays, I saw a picture of someone (crusinmama 06 I think) who had the mattress from the upper bunk placed on the floor when the room was turned down at night;)

Great idea! We were thinking our four year old would be ok in the upper bunk, since it would be over our bed and she doesn't move much in her sleep, but if she is reluctant to sleep up there (a good possibility), I'll try this. That idea really takes a big worry off my mind! Thank you :)

Archived