Eclipse Maiden

Alicia A

We very nearly booked this 4 day Maiden cruise on 29th April, I am so pleased we decided against it as this morning I received an offer for the " pre Maiden " which is doing a 3 day cruise on the 26th April.

Yet another cruise line that are not bothered about upsetting their loyal cruisers by sneaking an extra cruise in.

I would have been very upset if I thought I was doing a Maiden only to discover I wasn't, what do others think, should this be allowed to happen.

We very nearly booked this 4 day Maiden cruise on 29th April, I am so pleased we decided against it as this morning I received an offer for the " pre Maiden " which is doing a 3 day cruise on the 26th April.

Yet another cruise line that are not bothered about upsetting their loyal cruisers by sneaking an extra cruise in.

I would have been very upset if I thought I was doing a Maiden only to discover I wasn't, what do others think, should this be allowed to happen.

Hi Alicia !

In recent years, most builders have made great strides in constructing their ships, and the shipyards are able to deliver them ahead of schedule. As it makes no sense to let the ship sit empty, the cruise lines typically add 1 or more sailings.

In some cases, the lines added extra sailings while keeping the "official" Inaugural sailing date the same as originally planned. In other cases, when the actual Inaugural date was changed, the passengers who originally booked the Inaugural, were given the option to move to the new sail date, often keeping their same cabin, before others were given the chance to book.

I realize it's not pefect, and some may have been disappointed in this process, so it's a fair question. However, there aren't better options for Cruise lines to predict a specific delivery date, especially as it takes many months to build a Cruise ship. Frankly, I'd rather they be early, than be late, and have to cancel sailings. That's a much bigger mess.

Either way, the Cruise lines have tried their best to accomodate the passengers, as these types of situations develop.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that Andy, I do realise it is very difficult for the cruise lines, I just think I would have been very disappointed.

I accept what you say that passengers are given the option to move to the new sail date, this is fine if you can do that but work commitments don't always allow this.

Host posted

"In some cases, the lines added extra sailings while keeping the "official" Inaugural sailing date the same as originally planned. In other cases, when the actual Inaugural date was changed, the passengers who originally booked the Inaugural, were given the option to move to the new sail date, often keeping their same cabin, before others were given the chance to book."

This did not happen when P&O introduced Ventura to the fleet, they introduced a pre maiden date prior to the so called maiden cruise. Passengers were not given the option to move to the new sail date.

This caused outcry on the P&O main forum, from those passengers who had booked as they thought the maiden, only to find others had beaten them to it, so in fact their cruise turned out not to be the maiden. They were talks of passengers wanting to cancel, but could not due to final balances having been paid, and no refunds available. Also as Alicia said some people are not able just to change there holiday dates at the drop of a hat. I would be very upset if it happened to me.

I personally think its a bit naughty of Cruise Company's to advertise a cruise as the maiden, and for what ever reason introduce a pre maiden.:eek:

To be fair to Celebrity they have been advertising the 3 night cruise and the two 4 night cruises together for quite a while in the UK. I am surprised that the 3 night cruise surprises you.

Also with numerous 1 and 2 night tester cruises in the week before the 3 nighter the inaugural is not really an inaugural.

I say that as someone who is booked on the inaugural and is fully aware of the prior cruises

David

Obviously if you know when you book the inaugural, that there will be a pre maiden, thats fine, this was not the case with Ventura. P&O are introducing Azura and they have a 1 night tester cruise, for T/A staff etc, prior to the inaugural, but this cannot really be classed as the maiden, as there are no fare paying passengers aboard.

I still personally think to class a cruise as a Maiden, and then introduce another cruise prior to it for fare paying passengers, is a bit deceiving. However as you say with Celebrity, they advertise them both at the same time, fine people are aware. I still do not see how it can be classed as a Maiden, when there has been a previous cruise for fare paying passengers.

Archived