Chops/Portofino Really worth it?

I have been on the Voyager and Explorer, and have not yet opted for Portofinos. This summer, I am going on the Navigator and am considering taking my entire group to some of these restraunts as a birthday gift for someone. Are they really "that much better" than the dining room? Also, which of the two would you recomment?

Thanks a lot

Carnival Holiday 8/95

Carnival Ecstasy 8/31/01

RCCL Voyager 8/18/02

RCCL Explorer 8/23/03

Till I board the Navigator of the Seas!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;21;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I can only relate my recent Portofino experience on Voyager. To be honest, I haven't got a clue what I spent the extra $40 + tip on.

The food was slightly better than the main restaurant, but there was nothing exceptional about the service. In fact, we got far better service from our regular waiter.

When we've paid the extra on NCL, Disney, and Celebrity we always came away with "Wow...that was great!" On Voyager we simply left scratching our heads.

is it worth it YES!!!!!! We were on Mariner in Feb Chops was designed to be like a Morton's of Chicago( steaks are cooked to order Prime Beef) not like the Ranch steak on the dinner menu. Porfino is a very nice Italian Restaurant again the food is so much better than the main dining room--we saw some couple eat there everynight, between the two they thought the extra 280 ws worth it

norm

I'll give a thumbs up to "Chops" It was our first alternative dining experience and I found it wonderful. The Matre'D went out of their way to get us a good location for two and the prime rib was phenomenal.

You'll hear 50 different opionions though. I think it's worth it to try one time. My wife is not doing pasta now so we elected to choose Chops over Portofino's.

Portofinos on the AOS was a nice change for us. I can't say whether it was worth the extra $20, because we were still full from lunch when we went. icon_razz.gif

It was nice to see a different wine list too. LOVED the desserts

Counting down to the Rhapsody OTS - 12/05/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

My wife and I thought Portofinos was well worth the extra money. Our wait staff was excellent, the food was as good as any we've had in Scottsdale.

4/24/04, Explorer of the Seas, Western Carribean

No to Chops. We tried it and thought it gave the royal ranch a run for the money. Service was so-so, the dinning room was better. My DW ordered a shrimp cocktail and the shrimp were still in the shell covered with sauce. It was a waste of money.

Rick R.

Portofino's is an excellent choice! We have eaten at Portofino's on the Voyager, Navigator, and the Explorer. The Navigator was the best! They brought an appetizer over immediately,and took our drink order. We were allowed to order two appetizers, no soup, etc.. On the navigator there was lobster every night. There menu did not change at all. While waiting for dessert, they gave us a three tiered rack of chocolate truffles in different flavors. The Voyager was nice, and gave us dessert for our daughters who were not eating with us that evening. The service was a little slow, but the food was worth it! Finally, the Explorer waiter/waitress team were fantastic. They were married, and they served us on the two nights we ate there. They were quick and checked on us quite frequently. The filet and the lobster were both excellent. icon_cool.gificon_smile.gificon_cool.gificon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zamt:

My wife and I thought Portofinos was well worth the extra money. Our wait staff was excellent, the food was as good as any we've had in Scottsdale.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello neighbor icon_smile.gif Wow, lots of folks from Arizona on this board!!

Great news about the food, thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

###

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;26;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 6/26/04

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aearly:

I have been on the Voyager and Explorer, and have not yet opted for Portofinos. This summer, I am going on the Navigator and am considering taking my entire group to some of these restraunts as a birthday gift for someone. Are they really "that much better" than the dining room? Also, which of the two would you recomment?

Thanks a lot

Carnival Holiday 8/95

Carnival Ecstasy 8/31/01

RCCL Voyager 8/18/02

RCCL Explorer 8/23/03

Till I board the Navigator of the Seas!

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;21;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just returned from Explorer last week. I have eaten at restaurants throughout the world and I must say this was an experience that ranks in my top ten! Our wait staff Lazlo and Sophie were from Hungary and were there whenever we needed them. We had a party of 11 so they only serve groups that size at 6:30 or 9:30. We opted for 9:30 and were the last group in the restaurant when we left at midnight. The food was spectacular and the presentation was first rate. It was my wifes 40th birthday so the staff went over the top to take care of us. Thumbs Up!

Is there a chops on Grandeur of the Seas?

We are cruising with friends of ours. While on the cruise we will celebrate our anniversary, our friends anniversary and a birthday.

Chops might be a nice dinner to celebrate all 3 occassions.

Grandeur of the Seas-September 4, 2004

Galaxy-June 7, 2002

Fascination-March 17, 2001

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;09;04;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Aearly:

We've done Portofino's on both the Explorer and the Navigator and Chops on our recent Mariner cruise.

In a word, YES!!!

V&M

Jewel of the Seas April 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;4;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas May 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas May 2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2003;5;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Explorer of the Seas November 2001

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2001;11;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

SeaUThere -

Until they refurbished the Empress, only Voyager and Radiance Class ships had speciality restaurants. And Chops is newer, so it is only on the Mariner, Navigator of the V-class, as well as all 4 R-class ships.

Portofino is on all V-class and and R-class ships (as well as the new and improved Empress).

Counting down to the Rhapsody OTS - 12/05/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Archived