Governors Beach Info

Whitnee1

We want to spend the day with our party of 9 at Governors Beach. My question is what is the cost to rent a chair and to take a cab or trolley there? The cruise line has an excursion for $34.00 that includes transportation, a chair rental, a water float, and snorkeling gear. The return transportation runs every 20 minutes so you are not locked in. Which is the better deal????

Frankly, I'd save my money and stay at Margaritaville. The area was very, very nice and not crowded. Plenty of lounges, too!

While we did not sun at Governor's, we did go by in our golf cart. The area is pretty, but the beach is so, so. See the photo link that I found on Webshots.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2359128210054971125nInGaZ

If you still want to go, I'd recommend getting a cab or walking. It's not too far up the road.

Not sure what it is you did not like about the beach. From the picture it looks a lot like Trunk Bay. Do you know what they charge for chair rentals there? I am trying to figure out what is the best deal to go there.

It sure didn't look like Trunk Bay to me! There was not much there, whereas TB has facilities and a beautiful area to snorkel.

Don't get me wrong, the beach and all beaches in that area are pretty with beautiful water views. There was just nothing special about Governors beach over the other beaches. I realize that I only linked to one photo in that Webshots album. Here is another link: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2938056230054971125oVyzEA

Also, I have my photos ready and I am posting four taken from our ship in sort of a panoramic view. The first is of Governors beach just on the other side of that pier. The second photo is the beach areas belonging to hurricane damaged resorts and the third is of Margaritaville (with blue chairs) where there is snorkeling (saw wild stingrays) off the beach and a beautiful pool area with music/entertaining. You will get a better sense of location from my photos and see why I said the excursion would not be worth the money to go just 1/2 mile down the beach. See them below. I'll feature another of Margaritaville in another in another post. I could only show three at a time.

Can't help with the cost of chairs (probably $5 pp) but I did find a review when trying to search for you. This is from Tripadvisor. Kind of said the same thing I did. Keep in mind that this was before the hurricane. There really isn't much of a town anymore.

Re: Governor's beach?

Jul 05, 2006, 1:13 AM

I was on Grand Turk in May via Carnival's Fantasy. There is a wonderful beach right at the port with free chairs and facilities. We took a taxi to Governor's Beach ($5.00) to avoid the crowds, but then found that if we wanted the use of a beach chair, we would have to pay for that also. Taxis are ready and waiting right at the port and are much cheaper than the trolley offered through the ship. However, we were disappointed with Governor's Beach and proceeded to walk back to the beach at the port. It was an easy walk right along the coast, and only took a few minutes, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend the walk to anyone who doesn't get around well (elderly, disabled, small children who refuse to be carried). Take a look when you get there and decide for yourself whether you want to walk. The $5.00 per person cab ride, which took no more than one minute tops, was a waste for my group. I do regret not venturing into town, though, and I would recommend taking a cab there if you do go. I would not purchase any transportation-only excursions from the cruise line for Grand Turk as getting around via taxi or on foot is a much less expensive, no hassle involved, option.

Once again, this is just my opinion. Have fun in whatever you do! ;)

1865102198_Eurodam2010072.jpg.598b9cf77fd1841409f05209fbf4151d.jpg

2003128784_Eurodam2010070.jpg.d0431bc652de754e964119e08955396f.jpg

817367071_Eurodam2010069.jpg.dc038f4cfd6d95f65646335574accae6.jpg

Archived