Will we make our flight?

ugagal07

We booked a 1:50 flight out of LAX after cruising on the Splendor. Unfortunatley, AirTran thought it would be fun to bump that flight up to 11:10. I've read that debarkation in Long Beach is a zoo and I realize there is a drive to get to LAX. If we leave the flight at 11:10, will we make it?

I can switch to a later flight for free, leaving at 4:10 but not landing in Atlanta until after 11pm... If I cancel the flight and re-book with Delta, no refunds even though they changed their schedule so it is either 11:10 or 4:10. Suggestions?

There's about a 10% chance you will make your flight, even though it's on a weekend. If everything goes like absolute clockwork, you will make your flight. If just one thing on a long list causes a delay you won't make it.

If the fare on Delta isn't a lot higher than AirTran, I would switch. They have a lot of flights from all 5 LA area airports to ATL. Or, change to the later AirTran flight if the money/time tradeoff makes sense to you.

The reason the cruiselines recommend flights after 1pm from LAX is that 1) the disembarkation process may not always start on time 2) even if getting your land transportation goes smoothly, if there's an accident or any transportation on the 405 freeway going north, you can be in the middle of a traffic jam, even on Sunday.

So the advice you'll get from many of us will be change your flight, or stay a day post-cruise.

I agree with Cruisin' Chick--everything will have to be perfect to make a 1110 Am flight, especially with checked luggage. Our last flight out of LAX we got there an hour and 45 minutes early and we were the last people on the flight before the doors were shut. Not a good one to miss as we were going to Frankfurt and if we missed that flight, we wouldn't be going until the next day!

Thanks guys. I've read the Splendor reviews and was really nervous about making the 11am flight. The 1pm was perfect! Guess we'll just kill time at the airport and take the 3pm flight. I'd love to stay an extra night, but work just doesn't allow it...

Archived