What does "StarBoard" mean?

CRUISING71

This may be obvious, but I always remember which side is which because PORT and LEFT both have 4 letters!!

So, if you are standing on the ship, looking FORWARD (towards the front of the ship), port is on your left, starboard is on your right side. The back of the ship is called the AFT and the middle is MIDSHIP.

The FWD on your tags means that your cabin is towards the front of the ship.

This may be obvious, but I always remember which side is which because PORT and LEFT both have 4 letters!!

I thought I had invented that myself! I do the same- 4 letters means left side of ship, more means the other side!

Do you know where the term "posh" (like as in wealthy, high class, etc.) came from? It is short for Port Out, Starboard Home (p.o.s.h.) Evidently, extremely wealthy individuals who sailed the old ocean liners would switch sides of the ship during their sailings so that they would sail on the port side during their outbound journey and on the starboard side for the homeward journey. It must have truly mattered back in the day. Just an interesting bit 'O trivia.

Regina

Do you know where the term "posh" (like as in wealthy, high class, etc.) came from? It is short for Port Out, Starboard Home (p.o.s.h.) Evidently, extremely wealthy individuals who sailed the old ocean liners would switch sides of the ship during their sailings so that they would sail on the port side during their outbound journey and on the starboard side for the homeward journey. It must have truly mattered back in the day. Just an interesting bit 'O trivia.

Regina

You are correct, but to expand on this just a bit, it relates specifically to the British steamers that sailed between England and India back in the days of the British Empire. No air conditioning back then, so the preferred cabins were port outbound (left, or north side of the ship when heading East) and starboard homebound (right, or again, the north side of the ship when heading west) in order to escape the southern direct sunlight. So, the wealthy would purchase travel accommodations that were "POSH", which stands for "Port Outbound, Starboard Homebound". Another piece of interesting, but arcane and totally useless trivia. :-)

May all your sailings be POSH!

Regina

Urban legend.

Urban legend.

Not urban legend. My 90+ year old mother was the one who shared that with me, and she should know as in her childhood, she regularly sailed that route with her parents. I make it a practice to believe the people who have 'been there and done that'. :rolleyes:

You are correct, but to expand on this just a bit, it relates specifically to the British steamers that sailed between England and India back in the days of the British Empire. No air conditioning back then, so the preferred cabins were port outbound (left, or north side of the ship when heading East) and starboard homebound (right, or again, the north side of the ship when heading west) in order to escape the southern direct sunlight. So, the wealthy would purchase travel accommodations that were "POSH", which stands for "Port Outbound, Starboard Homebound". Another piece of interesting, but arcane and totally useless trivia. :-)

May all your sailings be POSH!

Not in the least bit useless- how often I get to show off by explaining this! And here you are explaining it here!

starboard O.E. steorbord, lit. "side on which a vessel was steered," from steor- "rudder, steering paddle" + bord "ship's side." Cf. O.N. stjornborði, Low Ger. stürbord, Ger. Steuerbord. Early Germanic peoples' boats were propelled and steered by a paddle on the right side. Fr. tribord (O.Fr. estribord), It. stribordo are Gmc. loan-words.

That is AWESOME! I'll be stealing that site.

Not. Urban legend, as others have said, popularized by the film "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". See a good etymological explanation here.

Not urban legend. My 90+ year old mother was the one who shared that with me, and she should know as in her childhood, she regularly sailed that route with her parents. I make it a practice to believe the people who have 'been there and done that'. :rolleyes:

How does it feel to know grandma had ben wrong for all those years?

You just got PWNED!!!

"asktheexperts.gif

Frequently Asked Questions

Word Origins

What is the origin of the word 'posh'?

The story goes that the more well-to-do passengers travelling to and from India used to have POSH written against their bookings, standing for 'Port Out, Starboard Home' (indicating the more desirable cabins, on the shady side of the ship). Unfortunately, this story did not make its appearance until the 1930s, when the term had been in use for some twenty years, and the word does not appear to have been recorded in the form 'P.O.S.H.', which would be expected if it had originated as an abbreviation. Despite exhaustive enquiries by the late Mr George Chowdharay-Best, researcher for the OED, including interviews with former travellers and inspection of shipping company documents, no supporting evidence has been found.

"

From HERE

I HATE it when grandma lies to me.

being a rather old navy guy.I'll add this..originaly port was larbord.It was confusng..so it got changed to port..fact

Old Hippy, I see you're from Kentucky. Go CATS. We are from Kentucky too.

Now about this post. I do the same for silverware placement. fork - 4 letters, left side, spoon - 5 letters, right side.

being a rather old navy guy.I'll add this..originaly port was larbord.It was confusng..so it got changed to port..fact

Yes, the left side of a boat/vessel was the larboard side. It was confused

with the term "Starboard" so it was changed. The term "Port" came about

because that was the side against the dock/port where cargo was loaded.

That way it did not interfer with the steering board, or potentially cause

damage to the steering board (starboard).

Archived