Port times listed in ship schedule?

rjmontana

Making plans for our upcomming cruise and need some help with times listed in ship schedule (Carnival Valor 4/11-4/18).

Are the arrival and departing times listed for the port of calls in the ship schedule ship time or local time???

Thanks for the help!!

So your saying the port of call schedule listed under my "cruise details" on Carnival's site is listing arrival and depart times based on ship time?? Man this is confusing as I had a Carnival rep tell me yesterday that the times shown in their schedule were always "local time" and had another tell me it could be "either, depending on whether the particular ship Captain of said cruise adjusted ship time or stayed on Miami time "..I just wish I could get two of the same answers from any two resources....Thanks for taking the time to respond gargoyle999, I have a hunch I should be trusting past cruisers more than the Carnival customer service staff as they are definitely NOT all on the same page!!

Thanks, RJ

ALWAYS ship time! :)

Making plans for our upcomming cruise and need some help with times listed in ship schedule (Carnival Valor 4/11-4/18).

Are the arrival and departing times listed for the port of calls in the ship schedule ship time or local time???

Thanks for the help!!

rj - Try to Google or otherwise track down recent Capers for your Cruise/Itinerary. The port times will be listed on front page and a statement as to what time the ship is following. ken

OP, it sounds like you might be getting all the same answer - just not explained very well.

All times listed by Carnival are always "ship time" they're just not telling you that "ship time" can change.

"Ship time" can & does change from the time of the home port depending on the ports of call,

the time of year & the Captain. Adding to the confusion of crossing time zones is the fact

that several of Carnival's regular ports of call do not use the same dates as the U.S for

Daylight Savings Time (DST) and some do not observe DST at all. On a Western Caribbean

cruise this can sometimes create a two hour time difference. The same ship with the

same itinerary may ask passengers to change their clocks when the US is observing DST

& do nothing when DST is not being observed.

When sailing west in the Western Caribbean while the U.S. is observing DST, pay

close attention to your Capers & your Captain's announcements. People who say that

"ship time" never changes have just not encountered the situation.

If the Capers & the Captain's announcements ask passengers to change their clocks, then

"ship time" is changing. Do not ever change your watch for "convenience" or you may be

conveniently watching the ship sail away.

All posted port times (ship, Capers, reservations, documents, carnival.com, etc.) are always

posted in "ship time", never local time.

The local tour operators know the exactly what's going on with each scheduled cruise ship.

That's how they earn their living. When booking, they should ask which line & which ship you

will be arriving on.

Wow. I am struggling with this, too. Iowa Girl, your post made me more confused. ???

"Ship time" can & does change from the time of the home port depending on the ports of call, the time of year & the Captain.

Yikes! ?? I am trying to book some excursions independantly through smaller companies that are looking to me to tell them what time I will arrive and have to depart. According to your information, I may not know this until I hear from the captain or read it in the Caper??

Can anyone out there help me? I know we can't be the first people to book independant excursions with small business owners who rely on us for an accurate time of arrival/departure. Yet, somehow this info seems to be elusive.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Archived