Opinions - Must-See Sights in Limited Time

redwolf87

We will be in Key West for the first time in July. Our ship will be in port from 7:30 am - 2:00 pm at the Outer Mole. I understand there may be a little wait time for transportation to and from Mallory Square from the pier, so that's even less time - let's say 8 am - 1 pm for the sake of argument (but please advise if that's unrealistic).

Walking in a 3-mile loop down Whitehead and up Duval with some side walking will take us, more or less, to the major things we'd like to see--about an hour of walking. That leaves four hours and if you mix in a couple of stops for Key Lime Pie and other stuff, I'm afraid we won't be able to hit all the things my four-member posse (two of them 16 and 12 years) has some interest in seeing.

Here is the list. I am sure at least one of these will have to go (maybe more). I understand personal tastes figure in, but I'd appreciate opinions on what to prioritize for a first visit.

- Hemingway Museum

- Lighthouse

- Pirate Soul (which I think will be open through July)

- Truman Little White House

- Southernmost Point

Any other possible suggestions are welcome as well.

Just a suggestion, since you will be arriving so early and not many places will be open, I would suggest you take the Conch Tour Train for a 90 min overview of the island which will be very informative and then you will have the rest of the time to visit the places you mentioned or you may change your mind after the tour.

The reason I suggest the train over the trolley is the trolley makes 12 pre-determined stops and with all the people getting on and off and waiting for the next trolley your times will be eaten away.

You can buy your tickets online and save money over buying from the cruiseline or the day of arrival at http://www.conchtourtrain.com/key-west-tickets.html

Have a great visit!

Mike:)

the lighthouse is pretty cool .... be prepare to walk up some cramped stairs to get to the top but the view is great

people i have talked to said the Hemingway house is over rated and too expensive

the southernmost point is pretty cool just be prepared to wait in line to take a photo ... or do what the wife and I did and jump in front of it while people in line are trying to figure out who will hold the camera

I suggest the treasure museum my wife and i both enjoyed it and you get to hold a real gold bar from a treasure ship

If you eliminate Pirate Soul other things to see while still on Whitehead: the Audubon House which has a short tour, the Green Parrot (a bar but with a gift shop next door), the Bahama Village at Petronia and 1/2 block to the right on Petronia is Besame Mucho a nice gift shop. 1.5 blocks from here is Blue Heaven for lunch.

Pjk

• 2 weeks later...

Just remember not to over plan for Key West, take it easy and relax because if you enjoy it you will be back.

If you get to an establishment and the hours posted say they open at 10 and it is 11 and they are still closed. .. .don't fret someone will be there sooner or later.

Everything is a lot more relaxed on the rock.;)

Mike:)

I've toured Pirate Soul, Hemingway and Truman White House. Truman and Hemingway tours take a long time and because they are guided tours, you can't really speed things up. Pirate Soul is a self-guided tour, so you can spend as little or as much time as you wish. I spent a lot of time there.

Maybe the better way would be to eliminate one of those tours. Southernmost Point is only a couple minutes fo time for the photo op. If there are lots of people, you might have to wait awhile to get a chance to pose right at the marker. People kind of take turns and often offer to take your picture for you.

The Light House takes time to climb. I needed to rest at the top, but the view is spectacular. Then you will want to tour the lightkeeper's cottage, but that is fast and self-guided.

Key West can be monstrously hot and humid. It can be tiring to try to squeeze in a lot of activities in a short amount of time there.

By the way, I hope you like Key West as much as I do.

Archived